Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Current Essay Contest

Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fnd.

Previous Contests

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Peter Jackson: on 3/27/17 at 16:06pm UTC, wrote Bill, You'll recall calling my 2103 essay 'Remarkable' and me similarly...

William McHarris: on 3/24/17 at 18:40pm UTC, wrote Response to Joe Fisher: I agree with Einstein that "Everything should be...

Don Limuti: on 3/21/17 at 5:37am UTC, wrote Hi William, I agree with your aim to raise the question of the possible...

David Brown: on 3/11/17 at 14:43pm UTC, wrote "The inherent unfalsifiability of string theory — almost all of it beyond...

Alan Kadin: on 3/11/17 at 3:23am UTC, wrote Dear Prof. McHarris, I read your essay with great interest, and I will...

Satyavarapu Gupta: on 3/10/17 at 23:18pm UTC, wrote Nice essay Prof McHarris, Dynamic universe model also showed that it...

Héctor Gianni: on 3/9/17 at 19:42pm UTC, wrote Dear William C. Mc Harris I invite you and every physicist to read my work...

Joe Fisher: on 3/9/17 at 17:14pm UTC, wrote Dear Professor William C. McHarris, Please excuse me for I have no...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Eckard Blumschein: "Gary Simpson, While PHALLUS is an abreviantion, a phallus is a Willy, a..." in FQXi Essay Contest 2016:...

jay grey: "Thanks for the link, I believe it will be very useful for personal..." in Santa Barbara Gravity...

Lorraine Ford: "Good one Gary! Regards, Lorraine" in FQXi Essay Contest 2016:...

Joe Fisher: "Attempting to account for complex finite invisible particles will not help..." in Bohemian Reality:...

jany watson: "At we have a long list of similar http://www.essayhelperuk.co.uk/law-essay..." in Koalas, Quantum Mechanics...

James Putnam: ""The math time = 1/nu defines time ... " Nu is cycles/second. 1/nu is..." in Alternative Models of...

Steve Agnew: "Your work has shown how normal physics like S&Z mass, length, and time have..." in Alternative Models of...

kab: "The word is enternal magic. Hope all secret never has answer will be out..." in Does Quantum Weirdness...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Bohemian Reality: Searching for a Quantum Connection to Consciousness
Is there are sweet spot where artificial intelligence systems could have the maximum amount of consciousness while retaining powerful quantum properties?

Quantum Replicants: Should future androids dream of quantum sheep?
To build the ultimate artificial mimics of real life systems, we may need to use quantum memory.

Painting a QBist Picture of Reality
A radical interpretation of physics makes quantum theory more personal.

The Spacetime Revolutionary
Carlo Rovelli describes how black holes may transition to "white holes," according to loop quantum gravity, a radical rewrite of fundamental physics.

Riding the Rogue Quantum Waves
Could giant sea swells help explain how the macroscopic world emerges from the quantum microworld? (Image credit: MIT News)

FQXi FORUM
March 28, 2017

CATEGORY: Wandering Towards a Goal Essay Contest (2016-2017) [back]
TOPIC: Wandering Nonlinearly towards a Different Unification by William C. McHarris [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

This essay's rating: Community = 5.0; Public = 6.0

Author William C. McHarris wrote on Mar. 3, 2017 @ 19:20 GMT
Essay Abstract

Resolving the distinction between classical and quantum mechanics might be termed a unification of sorts — receiving less attention than unification of the fundamental forces, although it is now attracting renewed interest. Here I propose that Bell-type inequalities, one of the major arguments against classical mechanics, compare correlated versus uncorrelated systems rather than quantum versus classical mechanics. Certain nonlinear classical systems, such as hurricanes, do contain correlated elements, and I try to demonstrate that such systems can also violate Bell-type inequalities. If quantum mechanics were to contain nonlinear elements, it could be a start toward resolving the incompatibilities between quantum and classical mechanics. Nonlinear dynamics, including deterministic chaos, could provide a bridge between Einstein and Bohr: It is deterministic, so dear to Einstein, yet it must be interpreted statistically, in line with the ideas of Bohr.

Author Bio

Wm. C. McHarris is Professor Emeritus of Chemistry and Physics/Astronomy at Michigan State University. He received his BA from Oberlin College and his PhD from the Univ. of Calif., Berkeley, then coming directly to MSU as Asst. Prof., becoming Prof. at age 30. He did research in nuclear chemistry/physics for over 40 years at the National Superconducting Cyclotron Laboratory at MSU. He is also a published composer, church organist/choir director, and award-winning ragtime pianist.

Download Essay PDF File

John C Hodge wrote on Mar. 4, 2017 @ 21:12 GMT
All that is needed to explain entanglement classically is to have a wave in space with the characteristic of one of the entangled particles to have a velocity much greater than the speed of light. van Flandern measured such a speed for gravity waves.

report post as inappropriate

Author William C. McHarris replied on Mar. 6, 2017 @ 20:29 GMT
True, this would create entanglement. However, this is the very problem (in reverse) that I address in the quantum Alice-Bob situation. There entanglement implies faster than light signals, and Van Flandern proposed faster than light signals to imply entanglement. Both situations are incompatible with relativity. It's much less radical to think of nonlinear systems, with their self-organized biases for populating different regions of phases space, as creating the appearance of action-at-a-distance (superluminal signals). Van Flandern was undoubtedly a brilliant fellow, but he got a kick out of promoting far-out, non-mainstream ideas. I wish this one were true, but until we get some sort of clear-cut experimental verification, I fear it must remain speculative. I appreciate your bringing this topic up.

Joe Fisher replied on Mar. 9, 2017 @ 17:14 GMT
Dear Professor William C. McHarris,

Please excuse me for I have no intention of disparaging in any way any part of your essay.

I merely wish to point out that “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.” Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955) Physicist & Nobel Laureate.

Only nature could produce a reality so simple, a single cell amoeba could deal with it.

The real Universe must consist only of one unified visible infinite physical surface occurring in one infinite dimension, that am always illuminated by infinite non-surface light.

A more detailed explanation of natural reality can be found in my essay, SCORE ONE FOR SIMPLICITY. I do hope that you will read my essay and perhaps comment on its merit.

Joe Fisher, Realist

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta replied on Mar. 10, 2017 @ 23:18 GMT
Nice essay Prof McHarris,

Dynamic universe model also showed that it is theoretically possible to have super-luminal neutrinos. You can see that paper in viXra archieves.

For your information Dynamic Universe model is totally based on experimental results. Here in Dynamic Universe Model Space is Space and time is time in cosmology level or in any level. In the classical general relativity, space and time are convertible in to each other.

Many papers and books on Dynamic Universe Model were published by the author on unsolved problems of present day Physics, for example ‘Absolute Rest frame of reference is not necessary’ (1994) , ‘Multiple bending of light ray can create many images for one Galaxy: in our dynamic universe’, About “SITA” simulations, ‘Missing mass in Galaxy is NOT required’, “New mathematics tensors without Differential and Integral equations”, “Information, Reality and Relics of Cosmic Microwave Background”, “Dynamic Universe Model explains the Discrepancies of Very-Long-Baseline Interferometry Observations.”, in 2015 ‘Explaining Formation of Astronomical Jets Using Dynamic Universe Model, ‘Explaining Pioneer anomaly’, ‘Explaining Near luminal velocities in Astronomical jets’, ‘Observation of super luminal neutrinos’, ‘Process of quenching in Galaxies due to formation of hole at the center of Galaxy, as its central densemass dries up’, “Dynamic Universe Model Predicts the Trajectory of New Horizons Satellite Going to Pluto” etc., are some more papers from the Dynamic Universe model. Four Books also were published. Book1 shows Dynamic Universe Model is singularity free and body to collision free, Book 2, and Book 3 are explanation of equations of Dynamic Universe model. Book 4 deals about prediction and finding of Blue shifted Galaxies in the universe.

With axioms like… No Isotropy; No Homogeneity; No Space-time continuum; Non-uniform density of matter(Universe is lumpy); No singularities; No collisions between bodies; No Blackholes; No warm holes; No Bigbang; No repulsion between distant Galaxies; Non-empty Universe; No imaginary or negative time axis; No imaginary X, Y, Z axes; No differential and Integral Equations mathematically; No General Relativity and Model does not reduce to General Relativity on any condition; No Creation of matter like Bigbang or steady-state models; No many mini Bigbangs; No Missing Mass; No Dark matter; No Dark energy; No Bigbang generated CMB detected; No Multi-verses etc.

Many predictions of Dynamic Universe Model came true, like Blue shifted Galaxies and no dark matter. Dynamic Universe Model gave many results otherwise difficult to explain

Have a look at my essay on Dynamic Universe Model and its blog also where all my books and papers are available for free downloading…

http://vaksdynamicuniversemodel.blogspot.in/

Be
st wishes to your essay.

For your blessings please…………….

=snp. gupta

Héctor Daniel Gianni wrote on Mar. 9, 2017 @ 19:42 GMT
Dear William C. Mc Harris

I invite you and every physicist to read my work “TIME ORIGIN,DEFINITION AND EMPIRICAL MEANING FOR PHYSICISTS, Héctor Daniel Gianni ,I’m not a physicist.

How people interested in “Time” could feel about related things to the subject.

1) Intellectuals interested in Time issues usually have a nice and creative wander for the unknown.

2) They usually enjoy this wander of their searches around it.

3) For millenniums this wander has been shared by a lot of creative people around the world.

4) What if suddenly, something considered quasi impossible to be found or discovered such as “Time” definition and experimental meaning confronts them?

5) Their reaction would be like, something unbelievable,… a kind of disappointment, probably interpreted as a loss of wander…..

6) ….worst than that, if we say that what was found or discovered wasn’t a viable theory, but a proved fact.

7) Then it would become offensive to be part of the millenary problem solution, instead of being a reason for happiness and satisfaction.

8) The reader approach to the news would be paradoxically adverse.

9) Instead, I think it should be a nice welcome to discovery, to be received with opened arms and considered to be read with full attention.

11)Time “existence” is exclusive as a “measuring system”, its physical existence can’t be proved by science, as the “time system” is. Experimentally “time” is “movement”, we can prove that, showing that with clocks we measure “constant and uniform” movement and not “the so called Time”.

12)The original “time manuscript” has 23 pages, my manuscript in this contest has only 9 pages.

I share this brief with people interested in “time” and with physicists who have been in sore need of this issue for the last 50 or 60 years.

Héctor

Alan M. Kadin wrote on Mar. 11, 2017 @ 03:23 GMT
Dear Prof. McHarris,

I read your essay with great interest, and I will read it more carefully later.

I recall your earlier FQXi essay on a similar subject, but the present essay seems to go further. I am particularly intrigued by your suggestion that measurements claiming to demonstrate quantum entanglement may instead reflect correlations in nonlinear classical systems.

You may recall that I have been critical of the foundations of orthodox quantum theory in previous FQXi essays. My current essay “No Ghost in the Machine” is mostly on a different topic (the evolution and structure of the mind), but I address quantum theory in the End Notes. In particular, I refer to a recent (unpublished) paper questioning the foundations of quantum computing. As you may be aware, quantum computing has recently become a worldwide billion-dollar research area, particularly involving superconducting circuits (my own area of research). But some of my colleagues have shown that virtually all of the experimental “proofs” of superconducting qubits can be alternatively explained using classical dynamics of coupled nonlinear Josephson junctions. That may place into question the entire field.

Alan Kadin

David Brown wrote on Mar. 11, 2017 @ 14:43 GMT
"The inherent unfalsifiability of string theory — almost all of it beyond the possibility of present or future experiments — has produced considerable controversy." According to Roger Penrose, "Fashion, Faith, and Fantasy in the New Physics of the Universe", page 63, "It appears that, to some extent, there is a view among string theorists that it is not too important to have a clear view of what the dimensionality of space-time actually is. In some sense, this dimensionality could be supposed to be an energy effect, so that it could become possible that more spatial dimensions become accessible to a system as the energy increases. Accordingly, the view could be taken that there are hidden dimensions, more of which are revealed as the energy gets higher. The lack of clarity in this picture is somewhat disturbing to me, especially with regard to the question of the functional freedom that is intrinsic to the theory." My guess is that conventional string theory with the infinite nature hypothesis implies higher dimensions at high enough energy-densities, supersymmetry and no MOND, while string theory with the finite nature hypothesis implies MOND, no supersymmetry, and no higher dimensions at any energy-densities whatsoever. I have conjectured the Milgrom Denial Hypothesis: The main problem with string theory is that string theorists fail to realize that Milgrom is the Kepler of contemporary cosmology. Is the Milgrom Denial Hypothesis wrong? Can string theory predict both supersymmetry and MOND-chameleon particles? (MOND-chameleon particles are, by definition, hypothetical particles that have variable effective mass depending upon the nearby gravitational acceleration.) Suppose that there are two Higgs fields: one Higgs field for ordinary matter and another Higgs field (the MOND-chameleon-Higgs field) for the superpartners of the ordinary particles. Does M-theory rule out a MOND-chameleon-Higgs field?

Don Limuti wrote on Mar. 21, 2017 @ 05:37 GMT
Hi William,

I agree with your aim to raise the question of the possible existence of fundamental nonlinearities in quantum mechanics. I believe this is essential. The Schroedinger equation defeated Heisenberg's matrix mechanics because it was (is) a linear equation. And everyone jumped for joy. Matrix mechanics could not be handled easily with the available math whereas the Schroedinger equation was "understandable". From a historical viewpoint this was unfortunate.

As you indicate chaos theory is a good candidate for a non-linear wave-function. If I may introduce another candidate: a discontinuous wave-function (I call it wavelength-hopping)(see www.diditalwavetheory.com). And yes, an interesting feedback system could be created with a non-linear wave-function. I think that the feedback could result in everything causes everything.

Thanks for your most interesting essay and the analysis of Bell's theorem. I give it high marks. Do checkout my short essay.

Thanks,

Don Limuti

Peter Jackson wrote on Mar. 27, 2017 @ 16:06 GMT
Bill,

You'll recall calling my 2103 essay 'Remarkable' and me similarly yours; "I think we're onto something very important for progress and certainly paradigm changing". My 2014 essay progressed the work; Do Bob & Alice have a future? (+ see the Figs, partly derived from yours) just as yours progresses it here.

I agree pretty well all you write, and so well explained, yet QM turns many off. I've now received 11 '1' scores! and I'll bet yours has had some too. A well deserved 10 is now coming, but far more importantly...

Last year I finally identified not only a fundamental nonlinearity in 'quantum mechanical' interactions but also (prepare to be shocked) a complementary orthogonal nonlinearity, and, wait for it.. also an already known mechanism (in QCD) which squares the cosine values produced at the modulator!

A new paper is part written, and see the video here ClassicQM video or 100sec glimpse here. The essay format & topic didn't allow a detailed derivation but see the long string conversation with Stefan (March4).

My own derivation arose from testing a solution for SR, so unification would be implicit, and, yes, shows both Einstein and Bohr were right in their debates (but neither quite ALL right!). We talked 2yrs ago of collaboration, well now's the time as I'm not competent alone to present it well enough to overcome embedded belief. My essay's doing OK as some DO understand parts, but that means little as last years finished top to zero effect!

Very well done. I greatly look forward to discussing further, on both strings.

Peter

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:

And select the letter between 'E' and 'G':

Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.