Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fnd.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

james akerlund: on 4/10/17 at 4:58am UTC, wrote Hi Jim. I posted an answer on your page to your post, but I have a more...

James Stanfield: on 4/8/17 at 0:14am UTC, wrote James Akerlund, Thank you so much for leaving a comment on my essay...

Dizhechko Semyonovich: on 4/7/17 at 8:45am UTC, wrote Dear Sirs! Physics of Descartes, which existed prior to the physics of...

Steve Dufourny: on 3/16/17 at 18:03pm UTC, wrote Hello Mr Arkelund, I must say that I liked a lot your approach of this non...

Wilhelmus Wilde: on 3/15/17 at 15:08pm UTC, wrote Hi James, Very interesting approach of the Planck Wall. I think that the...

Jonathan Dickau: on 3/14/17 at 0:31am UTC, wrote Given what your essay concludes.. You may wish to check out the essay of...

Jonathan Dickau: on 3/14/17 at 0:01am UTC, wrote Having read your essay.. I like the idea you have developed, but this...

Jonathan Dickau: on 3/13/17 at 16:42pm UTC, wrote Just a query to go... Do you ever draw 7-color maps on your donuts in the...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Lorraine Ford: "Re “I won't reply if you post outside the thread”: Tom, next you’ll..." in Wandering Towards a Goal:...

John Cox: "Just posting to reclaim the clickable heading for this topic." in Wandering Towards a Goal:...

Anonymous: "Is the phishing bot attack over? The headings column is still full of..." in Sounding the Drums to...

smith jina: "awesome post, thank you. Epson Help Epson Support Epson Support Number ..." in What Happens Inside the...

Brain Wave: "Beauty Tips Skin Tips Beauty Tips For Face Natural Beauty Tips Beauty..." in A Deeper Understanding

Brain Wave: "Beauty Tips Skin Tips Beauty Tips For Face Natural Beauty Tips Beauty..." in Building a Better Black...

Brain Wave: "Beauty Tips Skin Tips Beauty Tips For Face Natural Beauty Tips Beauty..." in Co-Travelers

Brain Wave: "Beauty Tips Skin Tips Beauty Tips For Face Natural Beauty Tips Beauty..." in Talking Heads

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Sounding the Drums to Listen for Gravity’s Effect on Quantum Phenomena
A bench-top experiment could test the notion that gravity breaks delicate quantum superpositions.

Watching the Observers
Accounting for quantum fuzziness could help us measure space and time—and the cosmos—more accurately.

Bohemian Reality: Searching for a Quantum Connection to Consciousness
Is there are sweet spot where artificial intelligence systems could have the maximum amount of consciousness while retaining powerful quantum properties?

Quantum Replicants: Should future androids dream of quantum sheep?
To build the ultimate artificial mimics of real life systems, we may need to use quantum memory.

Painting a QBist Picture of Reality
A radical interpretation of physics makes quantum theory more personal.

FQXi FORUM
August 22, 2017

CATEGORY: Wandering Towards a Goal Essay Contest (2016-2017) [back]
TOPIC: Superdeterminism at the Planck scale by james r. akerlund [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author james r. akerlund wrote on Mar. 3, 2017 @ 17:29 GMT
Essay Abstract

The Planck scale is ruled by noncommunitive spacetime. We attempt to show that this noncommunitive spacetime has a superdeterministic nature that gives "one" history and "one" future to the universe. We do not speculate as to whether human nature itself is also superdeterministic. We do not know. We present a Gedankenexperiment in our scale that we believe shows the superdeterminism at the Planck scale.

Author Bio

Jim Akerlund has been to several different colleges and universities, but has yet to receive a degree. He currently lives in Colorado where he works at jobs that have no homework and very little overtime, so that he can invest his time in the understanding of parallel unvierses. Current research interests are how to communicate and or travel to other universes.

Download Essay PDF File

Branko L Zivlak wrote on Mar. 4, 2017 @ 18:43 GMT
Dear Mr. Akerlund

Your essay is very interesting and important. I think that the theory of Big Bang is wrong, but that's not the point. The point is that the transcendent mathematical constant pi is key to understanding the universe.

Discovered mathematical constant e, 2pi ... and in my essay exp (2pi), formula (17), governing the universe. Then, if somebody says that is all determined by mathematics, I remind him, pi is a transcendent number. Thus, the irrationality of mathematical and physical constants makes Indeterminism. So, you just read essay of Mr. Akerlund.

Regardes,

Branko

report post as inappropriate

Author james r. akerlund replied on Mar. 10, 2017 @ 21:40 GMT
Hi Branko,

Thanks for the endorsement. Haven't read your article yet, but I have been looking for it.

Jim Akerlund

Joe Fisher wrote on Mar. 8, 2017 @ 17:34 GMT
Dear james R. Akerlund,

Please excuse me for I have no intention of disparaging in any way any part of your essay.

I merely wish to point out that “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.” Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955) Physicist & Nobel Laureate.

Only nature could produce a reality so simple, a single cell amoeba could deal with it.

The real Universe must consist only of one unified visible infinite physical surface occurring in one infinite dimension, that am always illuminated by infinite non-surface light.

A more detailed explanation of natural reality can be found in my essay, SCORE ONE FOR SIMPLICITY. I do hope that you will read my essay and perhaps comment on its merit.

Joe Fisher, Realist

Author james r. akerlund replied on Mar. 10, 2017 @ 21:37 GMT
Hi Joe,

I'm glad to see you're still kicking it. Having had conversations with you in the past over previous FQXi contests, I know your arguments are tough. I thank you for reading my submission and will eventually get around to reading yours.

Jim Akerlund

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta wrote on Mar. 9, 2017 @ 01:40 GMT
Nice essay Mr Akerlund,

You have a nice and rare Super determination, to go to other Universes… wonderful. May God give His best blessings for that……

Your poem and thinking are excellent. I was also like that. I wanted to pursue my hobby in Physics so invested my spare time in this Dynamic Universe Model for the last 30 /35 years.

Some of your words are very nice but...

view entire post

Author james r. akerlund replied on Mar. 10, 2017 @ 22:28 GMT
Hi Mr. Gupta,

I thank you to the superlatives you write concerning my submission.

Concerning your submission, I haven't read it yet, but recent articles in mainstream media have been suggesting that there is something big we a missing in our understanding of the universe. I will try to read your submission expecting to find that big something. Good luck in the contest.

Jim Akerlund

Jonathan J. Dickau wrote on Mar. 13, 2017 @ 16:23 GMT
Hi James,

Seeing your abstract, after reading your comments on my page, gives me insight into why you might write what you did. Are you aware about recent papers by Hyun Seok Yang? I have not read your paper yet, so he may be one of your references. I apologize if some of my commentary is impertinent, but I will re-post my reply to your comments on my page below. Then I'll promise to read your essay before long.

All the Best,

Jonathan

Jonathan J. Dickau replied on Mar. 13, 2017 @ 16:24 GMT
I am compelled to respond to this..

While I am not a great fan of String Theory; I admit its value and I think it's part of the total picture we must examine, but it is a smaller piece of the puzzle than some believe. I am a friend of Brian Greene and I have met Ed Witten, but I am more in the camp of Abhay Ashtekar, in regards to how the Strings program fits into the overall spectrum of...

view entire post

Jonathan J. Dickau replied on Mar. 13, 2017 @ 16:42 GMT
Just a query to go...

Do you ever draw 7-color maps on your donuts in the morning Jim?

All the Best,

Jonathan

Jonathan J. Dickau wrote on Mar. 14, 2017 @ 00:01 GMT
Having read your essay..

I like the idea you have developed, but this essay is obviously talking about work in progress. I find it interesting that you have used a coined term noncommunitive, but you are talking about something similar to what Connes is talking about in some of his non-commutative geometry work. You hint at what I talked about with Tevian Dray, that led to my essay on Putting Elephants to Work. What he affirmed is what I said about spacetime becoming first non-commutative and then non-associative as we approach the Planck scale. This does create a condition bordering on super-determinism.

However; you have erred in some of the details, even though your core message is essentially right, to a point where it requires additional research on your part to correct. What you need to know is out there, but there are a lot of missing puzzle pieces in the picture you are assembling, and your unconventional usage or coined terminology prevents this from being digested in a rigorous way. It still needs work or is a work in progress, and I will rate it accordingly, but I give you kudos for some interesting explorations. Thanks James.

All the Best,

Jonathan

Jonathan J. Dickau replied on Mar. 14, 2017 @ 00:31 GMT
Given what your essay concludes..

You may wish to check out the essay of Andrew Beckwith, who comes to a similar conclusion through different means. His derivation is highly technical, but if correct would affirm the spirit of your work. I would also greatly recommend you check out Hyun Seok Yang on arXiv, for papers about emergent spacetime, which assert that being non-commutative in the microscale equals emergent spacetime.

Enjoy,

Jonathan

Wilhelmus de Wilde wrote on Mar. 15, 2017 @ 15:08 GMT
Hi James, Very interesting approach of the Planck Wall.

I think that the "deterministic" or even "superdeterministic" effect from behind (what I call Total Simultaneity) is emerging becaus we only can compare the past.

I also use the Planck Wall as a limit of reality, so I hope that you will find some time to comment my essay "The Purpose of Life" and give it a rating.

I do not understand the "authors" just giving ONE's without any comment, untill now I received already 5 !!!. So be prepared!!! I rated you very positive because of the new thoughts that I learned.

best regards

Wilhelmus de Wilde

Steve Dufourny wrote on Mar. 16, 2017 @ 18:03 GMT
Hello Mr Arkelund,

I must say that I liked a lot your approach of this non commutative planck scale.Very relevant.

Good luck in this contest

Best

Dizhechko Boris Semyonovich wrote on Apr. 7, 2017 @ 08:45 GMT
Dear Sirs!

Physics of Descartes, which existed prior to the physics of Newton returned as the New Cartesian Physic and promises to be a theory of everything. To tell you this good news I use «spam».

New Cartesian Physic based on the identity of space and matter. It showed that the formula of mass-energy equivalence comes from the pressure of the Universe, the flow of force which on the corpuscle is equal to the product of Planck's constant to the speed of light.

New Cartesian Physic has great potential for understanding the world. To show it, I ventured to give "materialistic explanations of the paranormal and supernatural" is the title of my essay.

Visit my essay, you will find there the New Cartesian Physic and make a short entry: "I believe that space is a matter" I will answer you in return. Can put me 1.

Sincerely,

Dizhechko Boris

James Gordon Stanfield wrote on Apr. 8, 2017 @ 00:14 GMT
James Akerlund,

Thank you so much for leaving a comment on my essay thread. It brought to light a distinction between mathematics and information I had not fully communicated. I take them as separate entities. Certainly the number of abstract objects and their relationships are extensive and indeed infinite. However I consider information as something physical; contained within the negentropy of the universe. I agree with you that the physical evolution of the universe proceeds through numbered states. However, the number six might not be an eigenstate. The Universe may have jumped from 4 to 8. But that does not rule out six as a valid abstract object. I believe the abstract objects are there whether we look for them or not. Our concept of Euclidian geometry, which can be derived by logic from an underlying subset of relationships in the ARM, represents an excellent first-order mapping of our physical reality. Space time is non-Euclidean, not because we ask it to be but because it more closely maps to abstract mathematical structures of higher complexity. Does the color of your grass map to topology? Yes it does, but not completely. At the most fundamental level, the topology of the causal lattice determines the nature of electromagnetic vibrations that impinge upon the objects that we subjectively experience as the qualia of color. Color is an emergent phenomenon that occurs within the consciousness of any sentient being with color receptors. But that qualia owes its attributes (hue, saturation and brightness) to their supervenience on a long chain of emergent physical structures which owe their commanding form to the abstract relationships in the underlying emergent structures in the ARM. We certainly cannot explain color by topology alone but we cannot fully explain color without it. As all of mathematics seems to be based on set theory, it would be hard to give an example anywhere in nature were set theory does not apply.

Best regards,

Jim Stanfield

Author james r. akerlund replied on Apr. 10, 2017 @ 04:58 GMT
Hi Jim.

I posted an answer on your page to your post, but I have a more complete answer now. The answer is based on your last sentence with this quote. "...it would be hard to give an example anywhere in nature were set theory does not apply." My answer on your page was to look up in the sky and try applying set theory to the clouds. Well my better answer is; anything you can not count, set theory does not apply. Clouds can not be counted. The number of wrinkles on a crumpled piece of paper can not be counted. The number of bumps on a painted wall. All of the things have a definition but can not be counted by the mere fact that the definition obscures itself upon application. Set theory can not be applied in that situation.

Jim Akerlund

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.