Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Current Essay Contest

Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fnd.

Previous Contests

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Ajay Pokhrel: on 4/9/17 at 14:06pm UTC, wrote Hello koorosh Thank you for reading my essay. I will be reading...

Koorosh Shahdaei: on 4/9/17 at 10:15am UTC, wrote Dear Away, You have made your essay well written with simple arguments...

Dizhechko Semyonovich: on 4/7/17 at 10:35am UTC, wrote Dear Sirs! Physics of Descartes, which existed prior to the physics of...

Jonathan Dickau: on 4/5/17 at 5:33am UTC, wrote Best to you Ajay.. Good luck at University, and beyond. Regards, ...

Ajay Pokhrel: on 4/1/17 at 3:07am UTC, wrote Hello Jonathan, Thank you for encouragement and commenting on...

Jonathan Dickau: on 3/31/17 at 15:44pm UTC, wrote I forgot to add this comment.. When you state "if any number divides zero...

Jonathan Dickau: on 3/31/17 at 15:33pm UTC, wrote Well done Ajay! I have mostly positive comments, but a few criticisms too....

Willy K: on 3/14/17 at 6:49am UTC, wrote Hi Ajay I wish I had had half your courage at your age. I would have...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Stefan Weckbach: "Dear Lorraine, thanks again for your reply. Your point of view is a..." in FQXi Essay Contest 2016:...

Lorraine Ford: "Above post was from me" in FQXi Essay Contest 2016:...

Quantum Antigravity: "EXPERIMENTAL quantum Anti-gravity —..." in The Myth of Gravity

Pentcho Valev: "Money for teleology and silly songs only? The teleology contest is a..." in Towards a Goal — Two...

Nina Marrian: "New binary options trading technology named Lazy Trader App is a dangerous..." in Are We Merging With Our...

Jonathan Dickau: "He has been somewhat insular.. Steven is reluctant to re-engage, mostly..." in A Self-Gravitational...

Jonathan Dickau: "I went and read your essay. And I commented there. Regards, JJD" in Alternative Models of...

Thomas Ray: "Jonathan, Did you hear from Steven?" in A Self-Gravitational...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Bohemian Reality: Searching for a Quantum Connection to Consciousness
Is there are sweet spot where artificial intelligence systems could have the maximum amount of consciousness while retaining powerful quantum properties?

Quantum Replicants: Should future androids dream of quantum sheep?
To build the ultimate artificial mimics of real life systems, we may need to use quantum memory.

Painting a QBist Picture of Reality
A radical interpretation of physics makes quantum theory more personal.

The Spacetime Revolutionary
Carlo Rovelli describes how black holes may transition to "white holes," according to loop quantum gravity, a radical rewrite of fundamental physics.

Riding the Rogue Quantum Waves
Could giant sea swells help explain how the macroscopic world emerges from the quantum microworld? (Image credit: MIT News)

FQXi FORUM
April 23, 2017

CATEGORY: Wandering Towards a Goal Essay Contest (2016-2017) [back]
TOPIC: Our Numerical Universe by Ajay Pokhrel [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Ajay Pokhrel wrote on Mar. 1, 2017 @ 20:06 GMT
Essay Abstract

Our universe is composed of Mathematical elements and only mathematical elements. Maths uses numbers and we have been able to do maths because of numbers. The universe is in the pattern of numbers. This essay is not going to show the universe in some mathematical results but is going to compare the universal patterns and form with the numbers that human have created and also relate some mind blowing physical laws that our great scientists had discovered with the numbers showing that humans had not created numbers but they were exploring the pattern of Universe in an unaware way. This essay comprise of mysterious numbers and their group arising from zero to the infinity and the fact how mindless mathematical numbers are leading us toward aims and intentions.

Author Bio

High school student who is very passionate about Theoretical Physics and cosmological science.

Download Essay PDF File

Georgina Woodward wrote on Mar. 2, 2017 @ 03:30 GMT
Hi Ajay, I like the way in which you have interpreted the question. It is very different from the other essays I have read so far, refreshing. It displays your fascination well.

report post as inappropriate

Author Ajay Pokhrel replied on Mar. 2, 2017 @ 04:27 GMT
Thank you Georgina Woodward, Is there there any suggestion you want to give me regarding the essay?

Regards

Georgina Woodward replied on Mar. 3, 2017 @ 09:47 GMT
Hi Ajay, you do start with a grand announcement regarding the universe being composed of just mathematics. You are not alone in that train of thought as it has been discussed by Max Tegmark. He explains that if we look at what we have when it has been examined it is relations between abstract properties that are described by numbers. However i think the properties are characteristics of elements of reality. Either foundational existence or kinds of emergent reality from information processing. So you would need to provide a convincing argument to persuade me that mathematics alone is enough; and reality is purely imaginary somehow emerging from the mathematics alone.

You mention "special and general relativity was proved." Theories are not proved in science, unlike in mathematics. Theories remain not dis-proven until they are.

There are a few grammatical errors. For example; "Mindless means having no sense isn't it." The correct grammar is 'doesn't it?'. You have used 'isn't it' in that way at least twice. Unfortunately that particular error sounds uneducated which is not the impression you want to make.

Kind regards, Georgina

Georgina Woodward replied on Mar. 4, 2017 @ 05:15 GMT
Please don't take the community or public voting too seriously. Bad scores do not necessarily reflect an essay's worth but can be due to bias or tactical voting or meanness of the voter. Scores can also fluctuate wildly. Try to keep smiling : )

Bishal Banjara wrote on Mar. 2, 2017 @ 05:04 GMT
hi, ajay

The more generalized understanding about the facts and mathematical sequences. Great!!!

Andrew R. Scott wrote on Mar. 2, 2017 @ 14:28 GMT
I admire your passion. Not so admiring of grand statements unjustified by reason or logic, but (hoping this does not sound condescending, for it is not intended as such) as you are young I hope and suspect your passion may mature to take you along interesting paths. Good luck.

Author Ajay Pokhrel replied on Mar. 2, 2017 @ 15:35 GMT
Thanks Andrew for encouragement, but could you mention where the statements are unjustified by reasons or logic, It would help me in improvement of my essays for further contest as well.

Regards

Andrew R. Scott replied on Mar. 2, 2017 @ 21:48 GMT
We could start right at the start with "Our universe is composed of mathematical elements and only mathematical elements"

How do you know what our universe in "only" composed of, especially when we do not know how the consciousness we experience arises, or even what it fundamentally IS actually.

Are you aware of everything that "our universe is composed of..."? Have you considered that the tiny minds within tiny creatures within a tiny part of what may be a whole that is even more vast than the vastness we are already aware of may only be able to precieve and conceive of tiny parts of the whole?

I don't intend to embark on a full analysis and critique, sorry. I found your essay more interesting than most here, however.

Steve Dufourny wrote on Mar. 2, 2017 @ 17:30 GMT
Hello Ajay,

I am happy that you have made a papper.I liked your essay and its generality about these numbers.Congratulations.At your age, it is impressing.

Good luck and regards fromp Belgium.

Author Ajay Pokhrel replied on Mar. 3, 2017 @ 01:40 GMT
Hello Steve,

Thanks for encouragement. I'd have never done it if you have not informed me about FQXI, may be I will improve the essays on further contest with good logic and explanations.

Best Regards from Himalayas

Steve Dufourny replied on Mar. 3, 2017 @ 14:36 GMT
You are welcome Ajay,

You are Young and you see the whole.

Best

Branko L Zivlak wrote on Mar. 2, 2017 @ 19:39 GMT
Dear Mr. Pokhrel

You say:

As per my view, “God” is a body which lives in the higher dimensions then us.

But, You can see in my essay that we do not need any dimension to explain universe. Then, Where is God without dimensions?

Best regards,

Branko Zivlak

Author Ajay Pokhrel replied on Mar. 3, 2017 @ 01:37 GMT
Dear Branko,

We have never known who "God" is or where is "God". And as I have also stated in my essay that It's our limitations that we are not being able to know the whole facts of universe, so here, in this case perception matters, isn't it? "Mathematics and numbers are relative and they alters when seen through different perspective.", as said.

Regards

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote on Mar. 4, 2017 @ 07:39 GMT
hi ajay,

i loved that you raise some fascinating questions of your own, and that your conclusion is an inspiration. clearly you are fascinated by numbers and by sequences. have you seen the website oeis.org, or hans de vries' formula for the fine structure constant?

warmest,

l.

Author Ajay Pokhrel replied on Mar. 4, 2017 @ 07:56 GMT
Hey Luke,

Thanks for encouragement. I have checked the website and it's awesome.

Regards

Gary D. Simpson wrote on Mar. 6, 2017 @ 17:10 GMT
Hello Ajay,

You have all the optimism of a person your age ... that is good:-) Believe it or not, but a somewhat famous writer has a book titled "The Mathematical Universe" ... I think he makes some of the same arguments as yourself:-)

You will definitely enjoy some of the essays in the contest. You seek a higher dimensional understanding of many mysteries ... that is exactly what many older people are trying to do also. The mathematics in use by many people are Geometric Algebra and the Division Algebras ... you will find them fascinating.

BTW, under some circumstances, it is possible to divide zero by zero to get a legitimate answer. For example, divide sin(x) by x where x is measured in radians. Use numbers that are close to zero and make them closer and closer to zero. The limit as x approaches zero is one. This is an example of Le Hopital's Rule.

You will find mystery after mystery ... all waiting for that right person to come along ... Perhaps it will be you?

Best Regards and Good Luck,

Gary Simpson

Author Ajay Pokhrel replied on Mar. 7, 2017 @ 01:35 GMT
Hello Gary,

Thank you for reading and commenting on my essay. I have been aware about the book 'Our Mathematical Universe' written by Max Tegmark but I couldnot get a hard copy so I am not able to read it. Also I know about the Le Hopital 's rule used for differentiation. I am trying to learn every further thing including physics and mathematics but the only problem I do have is , I have no guidance person here who could guide me and listen to my ideas. As it is often said we need a good teacher for success, but I have noone listening to that. My friends laugh at me when i share them my ideas. I am trying to mail many physicist to give me guidence but noone cares . Anyway I have FQXI as a helpful part and I hope I will be a good Physicist in my future and thanks for encouragement.

Best Regards

Ajay

Joe Fisher wrote on Mar. 6, 2017 @ 17:24 GMT
Dear Ajay Pokhrel,

Please excuse me for I have no intention of disparaging in any way any part of your essay.

I merely wish to point out that “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.” Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955) Physicist & Nobel Laureate.

Only nature could produce a reality so simple, a single cell amoeba could deal with it.

The real Universe must consist only of one unified visible infinite physical surface occurring in one infinite dimension, that am always illuminated by infinite non-surface light.

A more detailed explanation of natural reality can be found in my essay, SCORE ONE FOR SIMPLICITY. I do hope that you will read my essay and perhaps comment on its merit.

Joe Fisher, Realist

Author Ajay Pokhrel replied on Mar. 7, 2017 @ 01:42 GMT
Dear Fisher,

Thank you for reading my essay and commenting. I am also studying about infinite Dimensional Vector space since 2 weeks for proving a idea of my own and I have named it as "Geometry Of Future". And I will read your essay, extract as much as I am able and give a good comment on it.

But Sir, Einstein also said "If you cannot explain it simply then you don't know it well enough" . Also thoughts differ from person to person and the best part of FQXI is the it allows the differents minds to participate.

Best Regards

Ajay

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta wrote on Mar. 7, 2017 @ 01:01 GMT
Nice essay Mr Ajay Pokhrel,

Good attempt to show some constants in mathematics… !

Your ideas and thinking are good, like…“ As per my view, “God” is a body which lives in the higher dimensions then us, that can be fourth dimension or fifth and so on.

And….

We do have many goals and intentions like understanding the universal laws, Dark energy, Dark matter,...

view entire post

Author Ajay Pokhrel replied on Mar. 7, 2017 @ 01:51 GMT
Hello, Mr. Gupta,

Thank you for good response to my essay. I am just a growing kid and maybe I will gradually improve. I will also have a look at your papers and books as far as possible and study them.

Best regards

Ajay

Author Ajay Pokhrel wrote on Mar. 7, 2017 @ 01:56 GMT
Hello everyone,

I will really appriciate it if you give my essay a useful suggestions for further and also a rating( if you think it should be given)

Regards

Ajay

Stefan Weckbach replied on Mar. 7, 2017 @ 21:37 GMT
Dear Ajay Pokhrel,

i now read your essay. You raise many questions regarding maths. I agree that mathematics seems not only as representing meaning, i think it was invented in a meaningful process – not by humans, but, well by God.

Just look at the multitude of different patterns which are hidden in Pascal’s triangle. I cannot count them all, but i remember that even the most...

view entire post

Author Ajay Pokhrel replied on Mar. 8, 2017 @ 00:46 GMT
hello Stefan,

Thank you for reading and commenting on my essay.

You said mathematics and its pattern was invented by God. As said in essay,"Perspective matters" and it's your perception. Pascal's triangle is mysterious, but if we look carefully whole mathematics is mysterious. First of all, we cannot believe fully that the math was invented by God but if we assume to believe then Humans have discovered and are doing so, The Maths and nummbers including their pattern. Also I have raise a question"Is God a Mathematician?" and it seems you do have the answer, logical, as you have commented above.

But it seems if God have invented Maths then may be we are using wrong math in our calculation, anything can be possible, because we are only working under the pattern of the God's Maths.

Best regards

Ajay

Donald G Palmer wrote on Mar. 13, 2017 @ 09:29 GMT
Great passion, Ajay

I find reading the history of mathematics very enlightening. It shows how much it is a human endeavor and needs human guidance, by those with passion and logic.

I wish you years of enlightenment ahead.

Don

Willy K wrote on Mar. 14, 2017 @ 06:49 GMT
Hi Ajay

I wish I had had half your courage at your age. I would have submitted a lot more essays for review. Since you are very interested in mathematics of numbers, you might want to check out the essays of Yanofsky and Dickau submitted on this forum. They talk about the entire universe of numbers and how that might be relevant for deriving a more complete theory of the universe. It could be what you are looking for as you step up your journey into mathematics. It certainly did expand my horizons.

Kind Regards, Willy

Jonathan J. Dickau wrote on Mar. 31, 2017 @ 15:33 GMT
Well done Ajay!

I have mostly positive comments, but a few criticisms too. I like the commentary about numbers and how special they tend to be, even before we try to inject meaning or interpretation. And it's true; people don't tend to realize that 0 is a symbol for what might be a null quantity in any number of dimensions. The common form represents 0 x 1, but the unit Real is normally omitted, so one might write (for complex, quaternion, and octonion null values).

0 = 0 + 0i

0 = 0 + 0i + 0j + 0k

0 = 0 + 0i + 0j + 0k + 0E + 0I + 0J +0K

You state "Every theory in the universe is already proved, but we need someone special to find them." and this is equivalent to what I said in a previous essay, that the Science of the future may supersede our current knowledge, but it already exists and is real - to the extent that it works. Douglas Hofstadter, who wrote "Godel Escher, Bach" got his start because of a fascination with numbers and their properties, to try to find the underlying pattern guiding the universe.

The patterns are real, and we only need someone special to find them. But there is a long journey ahead for you, to see how some of these ideas play out on a larger stage. A lot of interesting Math is hidden behind a wall of symbols, and only once you master their interpretation can they tell you what the underlying Math is really about. That's all for now.

All the Best,

Jonathan

Jonathan J. Dickau replied on Mar. 31, 2017 @ 15:44 GMT
I forgot to add this comment..

When you state "if any number divides zero then the result is zero itself and if zero divides the number then result is indefinite," I know what you mean, and I think you do too, but it is stated exactly backwards - or could be interpreted that way. One way to say it unambiguously would be "zero divided by any number is zero, while any number divided by zero is indefinite." I acknowledge the confusion you mention, but it's best not to inject more.

All the Best,

Jonathan

Author Ajay Pokhrel replied on Apr. 1, 2017 @ 03:07 GMT
Hello Jonathan,

Thank you for encouragement and commenting on my essay. As you said, once I mastered the math then I will know most of its hidden truth. I am studying higher maths and after 1 year I will enroll in one of US universites. I will always consider your suggestions.

Best AJay

Jonathan J. Dickau replied on Apr. 5, 2017 @ 05:33 GMT
Best to you Ajay..

Good luck at University, and beyond.

Regards,

Jonathan

Dizhechko Boris Semyonovich wrote on Apr. 7, 2017 @ 10:35 GMT
Dear Sirs!

Physics of Descartes, which existed prior to the physics of Newton returned as the New Cartesian Physic and promises to be a theory of everything. To tell you this good news I use «spam».

New Cartesian Physic based on the identity of space and matter. It showed that the formula of mass-energy equivalence comes from the pressure of the Universe, the flow of force which on the corpuscle is equal to the product of Planck's constant to the speed of light.

New Cartesian Physic has great potential for understanding the world. To show it, I ventured to give "materialistic explanations of the paranormal and supernatural" is the title of my essay.

Visit my essay, you will find there the New Cartesian Physic and make a short entry: "I believe that space is a matter" I will answer you in return. Can put me 1.

Sincerely,

Dizhechko Boris

Koorosh Shahdaei wrote on Apr. 9, 2017 @ 10:15 GMT
Dear Away,

You have made your essay well written with simple arguments which make sense,

and I agree that human brain is designed in such way that comprehends math, we have other aspects that doesn't fit with math at all, like life itself. Based on your argument is will give you high rating.

You are also welcome to read my essay which amoung other things is about math.

Good luck

Author Ajay Pokhrel replied on Apr. 9, 2017 @ 14:06 GMT
Hello koorosh

Thank you for reading my essay. I will be reading your essay but my exam time is running so I am busy for that. Can you send me a link of your essat?

Best regards

Ajay

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:

And select the letter between 'I' and 'K':

Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.