Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fnd.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Don Limuti: on 3/29/17 at 1:31am UTC, wrote Hi Abdullah, This is one of the best essays in the contest. And it is...

Abdullah Malik: on 3/4/17 at 21:59pm UTC, wrote For me, the question was intensely personal and inherently subjective. I...

Abdullah Malik: on 3/4/17 at 21:53pm UTC, wrote I don't know that much physics. I have a background in pure mathematics....

Yehuda Atai: on 3/4/17 at 8:42am UTC, wrote Dear Malik I read the article and it continues to raise questions......

Joe Fisher: on 3/1/17 at 16:43pm UTC, wrote Dear Abdullah Naeem Malik, Please excuse me for I have no intention of...

Satyavarapu Gupta: on 2/28/17 at 8:49am UTC, wrote Dear Malik, Thank you for the nice essay on “ " Your starting...

Abdullah Malik: on 2/27/17 at 17:16pm UTC, wrote Essay Abstract The notion that mathematics is an art is extended to...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Cristinel Stoica: "Dear Lorraine, I'm sorry to disappoint you, but QBism gives the humans..." in Wandering Towards a Goal:...

Steven Andresen: "I note your reservations. What I propose doesn’t change the observations..." in Alternative Models of...

Georgina Woodward: "Lorraine, did you read "Georgina Woodward replied on Jul. 22, 2017 @ 03:14..." in Wandering Towards a Goal:...

Georgina Woodward: "Hi Steven, I can only speak for myself. I am uncertain of my ability to..." in Alternative Models of...

sridattadev kancharla: "Dear All, Using Imaginary part of s in the e power yields correct..." in FQXi Essay Contest 2016:...

sridattadev kancharla: "Dear All, I am using Sign function to determine the direction of..." in FQXi Essay Contest 2016:...

Cohen Geoffrey: "The origin of life on planet Earth A "cosmic cloud" falls from infinite..." in Biological Creativity

Georgina Woodward: "In the example of a spinning ball that was given it should be assumed that..." in The Reality of the...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Watching the Observers
Accounting for quantum fuzziness could help us measure space and time—and the cosmos—more accurately.

Bohemian Reality: Searching for a Quantum Connection to Consciousness
Is there are sweet spot where artificial intelligence systems could have the maximum amount of consciousness while retaining powerful quantum properties?

Quantum Replicants: Should future androids dream of quantum sheep?
To build the ultimate artificial mimics of real life systems, we may need to use quantum memory.

Painting a QBist Picture of Reality
A radical interpretation of physics makes quantum theory more personal.

The Spacetime Revolutionary
Carlo Rovelli describes how black holes may transition to "white holes," according to loop quantum gravity, a radical rewrite of fundamental physics.

FQXi FORUM
July 23, 2017

CATEGORY: Wandering Towards a Goal Essay Contest (2016-2017) [back]
TOPIC: Can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention? by Abdullah Naeem Malik [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Abdullah Naeem Malik wrote on Feb. 27, 2017 @ 17:16 GMT
Essay Abstract

The notion that mathematics is an art is extended to touch cultural influence, giving rise to an analogy between memes and mathematical axioms. This results in the argument that mathematical axioms and hence mathematical laws are susceptible to human biases as regards to their aims and intentions.

Author Bio

Download Essay PDF File

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta wrote on Feb. 28, 2017 @ 08:49 GMT
Dear Malik,

Thank you for the nice essay on “ "

Your starting sentences, “It has recently been calculated[1] that when the universe began, random gravitational waves were created by fluctuations of the inflation field”, probably need some rethinking…. If there is no Bigbang then there will not be any gravitational waves, is that so…? Novae and Supernovae also give...

view entire post

report post as inappropriate

Author Abdullah Naeem Malik replied on Mar. 4, 2017 @ 21:53 GMT
I don't know that much physics. I have a background in pure mathematics. Pardon my ignorance. Even if I did, my position would still have been essentially nihilistic. Think of it this way. Suppose I'm going at a party. I might have some knowledge about its time, theme, host, social norms etc and decide to wear, say black. I turn up at the party and see people wearing a spectrum of colours. Some people have a shade that's black.

These people might have had similar knowledge to what I did and ended up with this decision. Others didn't.

What was this knowledge? Science? Let's stretch a slippery slope: is this our impression of the world?

That's what I call random. The data is random and we see some pattern because we want to. Are we reinforcing our biases when we're passing degrees? When we let people think clearly? Tell them this axiom or that?

Yehuda Atai wrote on Mar. 4, 2017 @ 08:42 GMT
Dear Malik

I read the article and it continues to raise questions... regarding the random effects of phenomena. I could not see in it an attempt to answer the contest question, but to question the question!

Though, it is a nice attempt. So you have a conatus, will, desire, intent, although the arbitrary mindless mathematical laws.

Have a great weekend

yehuda atai

Author Abdullah Naeem Malik replied on Mar. 4, 2017 @ 21:59 GMT
For me, the question was intensely personal and inherently subjective. I don't think there would've been a satisfying answer and that the question was just begging for further questions in order to break it down to precisely what it is we're looking for.. whatever it is! I don't think there is something out there. Perhaps it's my mood these days that's placed me into such heresy lol

Thank you for your comment and thank you for reading my essay.

Don Limuti wrote on Mar. 29, 2017 @ 01:31 GMT
Hi Abdullah,

This is one of the best essays in the contest. And it is woefully ignored. Your bio information is missing. I suspect you are very modest. Let me pull out a bit of your essay:

"To show that humans reify (make real) deep human experience, it is enough to note that each student might be inspired by a dfferent assignment and perhaps take up a different line of research to become a mathematical physicist, an industrial analyst, a helping hand for data of, say, environmentalists or simply a person who likes to scribble on and on and has a romance with symbols and their associated ideas."

At the end you say: "one must appeal to Wittgenstein: -Whereof we cannot speak, thereof we must be silent.-

I suspect that many of the essayists in this contest have ever heard of Wittgenstein.

High marks to you, from a very snarky lover of the physical world.

Don Limuti

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.