Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Current Essay Contest

Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fnd.

Previous Contests

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Daniel Rocha: on 4/4/17 at 15:04pm UTC, wrote Dear Edward Kneller, I make the words of Prof. Ellis mine. But I would...

Edward Kneller: on 4/3/17 at 14:25pm UTC, wrote Prof. Ellis, Thank you very much for taking the time to review and comment...

George Ellis: on 4/3/17 at 7:53am UTC, wrote Dear Ed Keller You say "This wander-gather-assemble (WGA) pattern broadly...

Edward Kneller: on 4/1/17 at 20:57pm UTC, wrote Helder, Thank you for reading my essay. Yes, the graphs are characteristic...

Helder Velez: on 4/1/17 at 17:49pm UTC, wrote Today is the 1 Apr 2017. which is true ? The space expands out of...

Edward Kneller: on 3/31/17 at 22:16pm UTC, wrote Alfredo, Thank you for your comments. You have summarized the key...

Alfredo Oliveira: on 3/31/17 at 1:44am UTC, wrote Dear Edward I thank you for having commented my essay because otherwise I...

David Pinyana: on 3/27/17 at 23:07pm UTC, wrote Very interesting your WGA framework developing several levels of...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Jonathan Dickau: "As it turns out... My personal philosophy specifically treats the notion..." in FQXi Essay Contest 2016:...

Jonathan Dickau: "I agree Lorraine, I've never been so much a fan of the 'paragon of..." in FQXi Essay Contest 2016:...

Quantum Antigravity: "EXPERIMENTAL quantum Anti-gravity —..." in The Myth of Gravity

Pentcho Valev: "Money for teleology and silly songs only? The teleology contest is a..." in Towards a Goal — Two...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Bohemian Reality: Searching for a Quantum Connection to Consciousness
Is there are sweet spot where artificial intelligence systems could have the maximum amount of consciousness while retaining powerful quantum properties?

Quantum Replicants: Should future androids dream of quantum sheep?
To build the ultimate artificial mimics of real life systems, we may need to use quantum memory.

Painting a QBist Picture of Reality
A radical interpretation of physics makes quantum theory more personal.

The Spacetime Revolutionary
Carlo Rovelli describes how black holes may transition to "white holes," according to loop quantum gravity, a radical rewrite of fundamental physics.

Riding the Rogue Quantum Waves
Could giant sea swells help explain how the macroscopic world emerges from the quantum microworld? (Image credit: MIT News)

FQXi FORUM
April 24, 2017

CATEGORY: Wandering Towards a Goal Essay Contest (2016-2017) [back]
TOPIC: The Cosmic Odyssey of Matter by Edward Kneller [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Edward Kneller wrote on Feb. 27, 2017 @ 17:15 GMT
Essay Abstract

The cosmic odyssey of matter describes a literal spatial journey that started with the big bang and continues through to the current state of the observed universe. Throughout this extended odyssey, particles of matter have wandered, gathered, and then connected, thereby assembling new formations of matter. This wander-gather-assemble (WGA) pattern broadly repeats across four stages in the universe’s timeline: the big bang, stars, biospheres, and social organizations. The essential step in the WGA process is the assembly of precise formations of matter (PFMs), defined here as formations having precise configurations and precisely connected components. Over 13.8 billion years the systematic WGA process has assembled a progression of PFMs, from protons and neutrons, to chemical elements and compounds—and on Earth—organisms and social organizations. Thus, this essay identifies a basic property of ordinary matter (precision), and a long-term process (assembling), which together establish a fundamental relationship between the first particles to emerge from the big bang, the evolution of living organisms, and the emergence of the modern human world. In doing so, this essay attempts to provide additional context to humanity’s place in the cosmos.

Author Bio

Currently working as a project manager for airborne communication systems. Previously served in the US Navy as a carrier aviator, test pilot, and aeronautical engineer.

Download Essay PDF File

Branko L Zivlak wrote on Feb. 27, 2017 @ 23:02 GMT
Dear Mr. Kneller

Big Bang theory is completely wrong. Try to understand my equation (17). There is a proton associated with the mathematical constant exp (2pi), which means it has always existed, exists and will exist.

Best regards,

Branko Zivlak

report post as inappropriate

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta wrote on Feb. 28, 2017 @ 05:36 GMT
Dear 27F Kneller,

Thank you for the nice essay on “ Cosmology "

Your starting sentences and other observations are excellent, “The cosmic odyssey of matter describes a literal spatial journey that started with the big bang and continues through to the current state of the observed universe. Throughout this extended odyssey, particles of matter have wandered, gathered, and then...

view entire post

Joe Fisher wrote on Mar. 1, 2017 @ 16:39 GMT
Dear Mr. Kneller,

Please excuse me for I have no intention of disparaging in any way any part of your essay.

I merely wish to point out that “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.” Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955) Physicist & Nobel Laureate.

Only nature could produce a reality so simple, a single cell amoeba could deal with it.

The real Universe must consist only of one unified visible infinite physical surface occurring in one infinite dimension, that am always illuminated by infinite non-surface light.

A more detailed explanation of natural reality can be found in my essay, SCORE ONE FOR SIMPLICITY. I do hope that you will read my essay and perhaps comment on its merit.

Joe Fisher, Realist

Mark Pharoah wrote on Mar. 7, 2017 @ 21:36 GMT
Hi Edward,

You left a message on my essay page. I thought I had already read and commented on yours, but apparently not. I will endeavour to reread your essay and give some feedback.

Willy K wrote on Mar. 12, 2017 @ 06:15 GMT
Hi Kneller

It was really heartening to read your account on WGA and PFM, especially since the stages described include social groups of ant colonies and humans. Coincidentally, my essay also mentions these two social groups, except that my essay focuses entirely on them and tends to ignores almost everything else. But even so, I think you cover more territory on ants than I did, since I never considered the possibility of their colonies coming together to form a larger multi-colony, which you address.

I thought I might have covered the area of human social groups slightly better since my essay dealt with them for the most part, but even there you cover territory that I did not address. For instance, I spent most of my essay modeling the working of the Constitutional nation state in depth, but you manage to address the domain of cities and the larger HSC in a broad fashion, both areas which I skipped. That’s an impressive range of coverage in your essay.

On the whole, we have similar instincts, but differ on our areas of emphasis. All the best for the competition!

Regards, Willy

Author Edward Kneller replied on Mar. 15, 2017 @ 04:10 GMT
Willy,

Thanks for your comments. We definitely had some overlap. Though you covered the human structures in much more detail. I have left additional comments on your essay page.

Regards, Ed

David Pinyana wrote on Mar. 27, 2017 @ 23:07 GMT
Very interesting your WGA framework developing several levels of assembly... and it fits very well imy proposal of the SCALE LANDSCAPES of the Universe:

I also refer to it in my essay, with the proposal of the Fractal, Emergent and Scale Relativity that if one day it is definitively accepted (demonstrated and verified) by the "scientific community", could completely revolutionize the cosmological physics, assuming a jump as important as was Theory of Relativity (Special and General) a century ago.

Alfredo Gouveia Oliveira wrote on Mar. 31, 2017 @ 01:44 GMT
Dear Edward

I thank you for having commented my essay because otherwise I would probably not see your excepcional essay!

We both scoped the same property of matter. You propose a systematization of the process of the evolution of the organization of the matter that clarifies it and helps in the analysis. I see it in a more continuous way, a permanent tendency for getting connected; and I do not exclude any force from the process, from gravity to social feelings, all forming structures with a degree of precision that is variable but if you scale the structures in correspondence with the range of action of the forces, that variability is not so great – so I think. But that is just my point of view, I am not thinking that is better than yours. Undoubtedly your approach is rich and enlightening. One of the essays that interested me the most so far.

Regards

Alfredo

Author Edward Kneller replied on Mar. 31, 2017 @ 22:16 GMT
Alfredo,

Thank you for your comments. You have summarized the key elements of my essay very well.

Regards, Ed

Helder Lines Velez wrote on Apr. 1, 2017 @ 17:49 GMT
Today is the 1 Apr 2017.

which is true ? The space expands out of nothing, or the atoms are shrinking?

Why should we accept the big bang theory and the space expansion if no one is able to prove that the atoms do not change their size (the units of measure)? In fact this is impossible to do because the atoms as they were yesterday can not be used in the lab to compare with themselves as they are now.

Alfredo, in his essay on this contest made a mention to that possibility that no one appears to have noticed. Alf (*) already had proved that the red-shifted light - the imprints left in space by the atoms in the past - corresponds to the light emitted by larger atoms. How did it? Contrasting a space based referential, constant, against the atomic referential he showed that the most basic equations of physics describe a varying atom - (shrinking).

If you do believe in the space expansion then you have rejected the rationalist position, the very roots of science cherished by all the greats scientists of the past.

(*) A self-similar model of the Universe unveils the nature of dark energy (pdf)

To all and specially to Alf: Pardon me for the propaganda but no other way is available when the peer reviewer system fails to accept it for review. Judge by yourselves.

about the article:

IMO your article is OK, except for the BBT misunderstanding that is not your fault. The graphs are WP log-log probably characteristic of a power law, that I suspect that is the consequence of the struggle for resources.

Author Edward Kneller replied on Apr. 1, 2017 @ 20:57 GMT
Helder,

Thank you for reading my essay. Yes, the graphs are characteristic of a power law and the struggle for material and energy resources.

Regards, Ed Kneller

Member George F. R. Ellis replied on Apr. 3, 2017 @ 07:53 GMT
Dear Ed Keller

You say "This wander-gather-assemble (WGA) pattern broadly repeats across four stages in the universe’s timeline: the big bang, stars, biospheres, and social organizations. The essential step in the WGA process is the assembly of precise formations of matter (PFMs), defined here as formations having precise configurations and precisely connected components."

I agree very much with this and with your emphasis on distinct components, precise connections, and precise configuration. This is what I characterise as modular hierarchical structures in my own essay, which is what is required to underlie genuine complexity (as opposed to say sandpiles or the kinds of patterns generated by the reaction diffusion equation, which is just the foothills of true complexity).

So our essays are complementary and in essential agreement.

Regards

George Ellis

(I am in awe of carrier aviators and test pilots. In another life I would have loved to have gone there)

Author Edward Kneller replied on Apr. 3, 2017 @ 14:25 GMT
Prof. Ellis,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review and comment on my essay.

Piloting is like any other profession - it all depends on training and building on the experiences of the people who went before you.

Regards, Ed Kneller

Daniel de França Diniz Rocha wrote on Apr. 4, 2017 @ 15:04 GMT
Dear Edward Kneller,

I make the words of Prof. Ellis mine. But I would like to to add that you actually uncover a very interesting complexity relation between all scales. It would be interesting to figure out if there is any relation to other scale relations, for example, Kolmogorov microscales.

Another very interesting thing is to estimate the number of civilizations in our galaxy and the rate of how many of them appear along the eras. Do you think that is possible?

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.