Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Current Essay Contest

Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fnd.

Previous Contests

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Branko Zivlak: on 3/25/17 at 20:56pm UTC, wrote Dear Mr. Bennett Just about CMB. Temperature of the cosmic microwave...

James Hoover: on 3/19/17 at 5:24am UTC, wrote Robert, That we live in a faithless world, relying on mindless screeds --...

Robert Bennett: on 3/11/17 at 4:15am UTC, wrote Hey Don, No FP coverage because of essay space and relevance constraints. ...

Don Limuti: on 3/9/17 at 6:26am UTC, wrote Hi Robert, I liked your Newton's bucket example. And am wondering why you...

Robert Bennett: on 3/4/17 at 20:54pm UTC, wrote Dear Vlad, We have a fundamental disconnect here. My analysis of...

Robert Bennett: on 3/4/17 at 20:34pm UTC, wrote Thanks for your thoughts, David. Most of the time I do agree with Newton;...

Vladimir Fedorov: on 3/4/17 at 6:34am UTC, wrote Dear Robert Bennett, Excellent essay with in-depth analysis of science...

Robert Bennett: on 3/3/17 at 20:25pm UTC, wrote Dear Edwin, Thanks for your thoughtful reply. We seem focused on the same...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Eckard Blumschein: "Gary Simpson, While PHALLUS is an abreviantion, a phallus is a Willy, a..." in FQXi Essay Contest 2016:...

jay grey: "Thanks for the link, I believe it will be very useful for personal..." in Santa Barbara Gravity...

Lorraine Ford: "Good one Gary! Regards, Lorraine" in FQXi Essay Contest 2016:...

Joe Fisher: "Attempting to account for complex finite invisible particles will not help..." in Bohemian Reality:...

jany watson: "At we have a long list of similar http://www.essayhelperuk.co.uk/law-essay..." in Koalas, Quantum Mechanics...

James Putnam: ""The math time = 1/nu defines time ... " Nu is cycles/second. 1/nu is..." in Alternative Models of...

Steve Agnew: "Your work has shown how normal physics like S&Z mass, length, and time have..." in Alternative Models of...

kab: "The word is enternal magic. Hope all secret never has answer will be out..." in Does Quantum Weirdness...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Bohemian Reality: Searching for a Quantum Connection to Consciousness
Is there are sweet spot where artificial intelligence systems could have the maximum amount of consciousness while retaining powerful quantum properties?

Quantum Replicants: Should future androids dream of quantum sheep?
To build the ultimate artificial mimics of real life systems, we may need to use quantum memory.

Painting a QBist Picture of Reality
A radical interpretation of physics makes quantum theory more personal.

The Spacetime Revolutionary
Carlo Rovelli describes how black holes may transition to "white holes," according to loop quantum gravity, a radical rewrite of fundamental physics.

Riding the Rogue Quantum Waves
Could giant sea swells help explain how the macroscopic world emerges from the quantum microworld? (Image credit: MIT News)

FQXi FORUM
March 28, 2017

CATEGORY: Wandering Towards a Goal Essay Contest (2016-2017) [back]
TOPIC: Immaterial Goals: Nature’s Whys - from the Wise. by Robert Bennett [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

This essay's rating: Community = 4.7; Public = 5.8

Author Robert Bennett wrote on Feb. 21, 2017 @ 15:31 GMT
Essay Abstract

Science in the form of scientism and materialism loses sight of the fact that mathematics is an immaterial abstraction of physical reality abstracted by the mind, which is also immaterial. Might not other immaterial knowledge domains exist besides math? Employing the common ground of the scientific method and realism, a historical approach will be taken to detect and correct failed directions in the development of science . Extra-scientific beliefs like immaterial causes can then be accepted from philosophy and theology as guidance to understanding the unified and objective truth in nature. Might not intelligence exist that transcend our own?

Author Bio

seventh grade teacher, prior to retirement

Download Essay PDF File

Rick DeLano wrote on Feb. 22, 2017 @ 04:16 GMT
"Motion is relative in kinematics but absolute in dynamics. And the absolute reference frame for the universe is nothing but terra firma...Mother Earth."

Here is the most original, bold, and potentially science-saving hypothesis in the entire essay contest.

If the analysis of Newton's Bucket here is flawed in any way, I would certainly be in debt to anyone who could show why.

Because if this one sentence quoted above is correct, then both theories of Relativity are wrong, and the completely stunning evidences in large-scale cosmological phenomena of earth- oriented alignments are independently buttressed by experiments accessible to anyone on earth with a rope and a bucket and some water.

report post as inappropriate

Joe Fisher wrote on Feb. 22, 2017 @ 16:27 GMT
Dear Educator Bennett,

I merely wish to point out that “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler. Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955) Physicist & Nobel Laureate.”

Only nature could produce a reality so simple, a single cell amoeba could deal with it.

The real Universe must consist only of one unified visible infinite physical surface occurring in one infinite dimension, that am always illuminated by infinite non-surface light.

Joe Fisher, Realist

Author Robert Bennett replied on Feb. 23, 2017 @ 19:50 GMT
Joe,

You seem to be the un-official greeter at this forum...

Maybe FQXI will give you a special honor - in lieu of cash....

like the Long-Term Persistency Award.

Robert

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta wrote on Feb. 23, 2017 @ 01:03 GMT
Dear Bennett,

Good essay on Philosophy and General over view of all the sciences. You have nicely pointed out the failures of SR and GR even !

But still you are thinking of CMB as Bigbang originated only……….

There are some basic problems in WMAP satellites’ instrumentation and software. WMAP cannot eliminate Microwave radiation from Stars, Galaxies and...

view entire post

Author Robert Bennett replied on Feb. 23, 2017 @ 20:14 GMT
Dear SNP..

But still you are thinking of CMB as Bigbang originated only……….

No ..the CMB origin can’t be BB sourced… When the stars produce aether flow as well as EM radiation, the observed optical effect mimics the redshift Doppler claim of MS physics. But light photons obey E = hf so the frequency can’t change in empty space…only the speed of light and...

view entire post

Branko L Zivlak replied on Mar. 25, 2017 @ 20:56 GMT
Dear Mr. Bennett

Just about CMB.

Temperature of the cosmic microwave background radiation is not a relic of the past but is geometric mean of all the temperatures. You can see here: http://vixra.org/abs/1602.0095

BTW, your essay is very rational. I've highly rate.

Regards,

Branko

Edwin Eugene Klingman wrote on Feb. 26, 2017 @ 02:04 GMT
Dear Robert Bennett,

"Mindless? Hardly." You nailed that one. You say "[Mach's] foundation is in the real physical world but it exists only in an immaterial context – the human mind."

I appreciate your laying out the "often conflicting set of -isms". They are briefly defined, so I may misinterpret them but I am interested in the contrast between 'materialist' and...

view entire post

Author Robert Bennett replied on Mar. 3, 2017 @ 20:25 GMT
Dear Edwin,

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. We seem focused on the same targets, but with some variance in perspective.

More than consciousness, my concept of mind is classical - the faculties of intellect, will/volition, memory and emotion. Computers can’t model humans until the last item is included! Even then, how do you add the immaterial life principle…how does the...

view entire post

David Brown wrote on Feb. 26, 2017 @ 18:15 GMT
"The weaknesses of science are in scope and a false sense of the importance of subject matter depth. In the sequence of knowledge domains physics is a specific branch of science - which is a part of philosophy - which is part of theology." Sir Isaac Newton might have agreed with the 2nd of the 2 preceding hypotheses; he wrote, "Atheism is so senseless & odious to mankind that it never had many professors." In the philosophy of science, I follow Francis Crick and Richard Feynman. The triumph of molecular psychology might require a good understanding of religious beliefs.

"Regardless of whether God exists or not, religious beliefs do exist and can be experimentally studied, as shown in this study."

http://www.pnas.org/content/106/12/4876.full.pdf Kapogiannis, Dimitris, Aron K. Barbey, Michael Su, Giovanna Zamboni, Frank Krueger, and Grafman Jordan. "Cognitive and neural foundations of religious belief." Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 106, no. 12 (2009): 4876-4881.

Όλα τα πράγματα είναι γεμάτα από θεούς. (All things are full of gods.) — Thales of Miletus

There might be as many different systems of theology and as many different systems of physics as there are theologians and physicists.

Author Robert Bennett replied on Mar. 4, 2017 @ 20:34 GMT
Thanks for your thoughts, David.

Most of the time I do agree with Newton; only a fool wouldn't.

Scientific pride is a serious disease...of the mind. it blinds one to the world beyond the limited study of nature. Sad to say, Crick and Feynman limited their horizons to brute matter, and lost their sense of what really matters.

Diversity within faith and science is the mark of modern belief systems. For me only realism offers a logical path to the one true science and religion buried in the present cacophony of false beliefs.

All the best,

Robert

Vladimir Nikolaevich Fedorov wrote on Mar. 4, 2017 @ 06:34 GMT
Dear Robert Bennett,

Excellent essay with in-depth analysis of science errors.

I merely wish to point out that

“In the heliocentric model the estimated speed was a constant 30 km/s but a variable speed was found after six weeks of testing, not exceeding 7 km/s. Attributing the variation to random errors, the consensus was that the orbit speed was null/zero.”

Michelson and Morley were highly honest people and got the right result (unexpurgated) in the form of highly dispersed variations of velocity turbulence light medium that is pushing the Earth in its orbit. In my essay, I wrote that they had to get the average speed of the Earth in light-carrying medium 8 km/s, and they got it. It is the first cosmic velocity of Earth, the square of which determines the gravitational potential of the Earth's surface. I.e., gravity has the dynamic cause; its mechanism is considered in the essay. By the simple detector of gravitational waves, I was able to also register the turbulence light medium.

Similarly as the Earth, "the sun moves relative to the medium of the physical vacuum in the Orion spiral arm with an average speed of 437 km/s, equal to its first cosmic speed. Current speed between the pulses of the Sun perturbation is 369 km/s». Clash of the elements light medium Orion branch at a rate of 369 km/s, relative to the sun's gravisphere leads to microwave background around the solar system and its dipole component.

You will also be able to analyze the principles of my science and to bring them to your rules.

Kind regards,

Vladimir Fedorov

Author Robert Bennett replied on Mar. 4, 2017 @ 20:54 GMT
Dear Vlad,

We have a fundamental disconnect here. My analysis of Newton's Bucket and Bennett's Hiker led to the conclusion that the Earth's reference frame was at absolute rest..in order to explain the uniqueness of the lab frame in applying the laws of motion. The Earth being fixed, the Sun's speed is 30 km/s in the lab frame, not vice versa.

The 8 km/s average of MMX gas interferometer tests represents the random measurement of cosmic aether flows hitting the immobile Earth, as do water waves from distant sources when encountering an island beach.

Unfortunately I don't see the possibility of reconciling your 'rules' and mine.... unless either of our models is shown false EXPERIMENTALLY.

All the best,

Robert

Don Limuti wrote on Mar. 9, 2017 @ 06:26 GMT
Hi Robert,

I liked your Newton's bucket example. And am wondering why you did not include Foucault's pendulum as an example?

Thank you for a remarkably clear and enjoyable essay!

Check out my webpage (www.digitalwavetheory.com). There are three sections on gravity you may enjoy (or go to the published work given in my author section)...for an interesting insight on the ether.

I'm doing my best to promote your work.

Don Limuti

Author Robert Bennett replied on Mar. 11, 2017 @ 04:15 GMT
Hey Don,

No FP coverage because of essay space and relevance constraints.

Foucault pendulum is an alleged proof of the Earth’s rotation based on inertia principles…and excluding/ignoring aethereal effects. Michelson-Gale in 1925 found the Earth was surrounded by a rotating ball of aether that explained the fringe shifts ..but this was mis-interpreted as the Earth’s motion in a fixed aether. When the FP swings in a North-South plane in the latitude-dependent aether wind, the S part receives a stronger flow than when N, causing a torque with each oscillation and a net rotation in the N-S plane. The predicted rotation from the aether motion is proportional to sin(lat) , as is observed. The preference for an initial N-S orientation of the FP plane is also consistent with the aether wind model.

From my essay you can appreciate that SR and GR are rejected in favor of a geocentric universe and a cosmic dynamics driven by the motion of aether - whose particles might be termed ‘gravitons’.

There is no DM or DE, but the natural aether vortices that rotate the star systems determine the apparent centripetal force …v= 1/sqrt(v) for the solar system and v = const. for the galaxies.

Your model of the Speed of Light has SoL dependent on wavelength; my model has SoL dependent on the optical density(n) and the speed of aether Va.

You do have an interesting Web site, Don…. in content and format.

AMDG,

Robert

James Lee Hoover wrote on Mar. 19, 2017 @ 05:24 GMT
Robert,

That we live in a faithless world, relying on mindless screeds -- materially, not intelligently or spiritually based -- is true. The breakdown of ethics and decency is evident in a polarized society. Beyond a supernatural intelligence, our mindset on extra-terrestrial intelligence fixates on an ET which is as crass and grasping as the values that dominate our economic system. Because we project our own image in everything, it dominates the scientific world as well..

Thus matter and energy is seen in that same light. Your classifications, incisive comments and definitions help to reveal that in science.

Hope you get a chance to comment on my essay as well.

Regards,

Jim Hoover

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:

And select the letter between 'R' and 'T':

Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.