Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the blogger are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Domenico Oricchio: on 3/25/17 at 19:19pm UTC, wrote Dear Alfredo The vote in general is always secret, so that there is...

Alfredo Oliveira: on 3/25/17 at 13:17pm UTC, wrote Dear Domenico As I say in my essay, the "Selection" process must be...

Domenico Oricchio: on 3/24/17 at 19:59pm UTC, wrote I am thinking a change, the next time, of voting. I am thinking a mean of...

Alfredo Oliveira: on 3/24/17 at 14:45pm UTC, wrote Love or Hate? I know that the voting is a kind of reality show, but my...

Steven Andresen: on 3/17/17 at 4:04am UTC, wrote Pentcho I havent spent any effort sprooking my essay to date, but in light...

Steven Andresen: on 3/17/17 at 3:50am UTC, wrote I like this take on things, and the way you explained how the machine that...

Anonymous: on 3/15/17 at 15:43pm UTC, wrote Dear FQXi team Only recently I understood the critical importance of your...

Bishal Banjara: on 3/5/17 at 18:46pm UTC, wrote respected administrator, I search search a comment box but I didn't' see...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Lorraine Ford: "P.S. Ethics is just an exercise in window dressing if reality is such..." in FQXi Essay Contest 2016:...

James Putnam: "Sears and Zemansky 13th ed. Summary of Chapter ! (page 26): "Physical..." in Alternative Models of...

Lorraine Ford: "Eckard, How can we hope for "a reasonable ethics" when scientists,..." in FQXi Essay Contest 2016:...

Joe Fisher: "Isent this email: March 25, 2017 Ref: Simple reality Dear..." in Bohemian Reality:...

Steve Agnew: "These are operational definitions just as S&Z state in the 13th Ed. just..." in Alternative Models of...

jay grey: "Thanks for the link, I believe it will be very useful for personal..." in Santa Barbara Gravity...

Joe Fisher: "Attempting to account for complex finite invisible particles will not help..." in Bohemian Reality:...

jany watson: "At we have a long list of similar http://www.essayhelperuk.co.uk/law-essay..." in Koalas, Quantum Mechanics...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Bohemian Reality: Searching for a Quantum Connection to Consciousness
Is there are sweet spot where artificial intelligence systems could have the maximum amount of consciousness while retaining powerful quantum properties?

Quantum Replicants: Should future androids dream of quantum sheep?
To build the ultimate artificial mimics of real life systems, we may need to use quantum memory.

Painting a QBist Picture of Reality
A radical interpretation of physics makes quantum theory more personal.

The Spacetime Revolutionary
Carlo Rovelli describes how black holes may transition to "white holes," according to loop quantum gravity, a radical rewrite of fundamental physics.

Riding the Rogue Quantum Waves
Could giant sea swells help explain how the macroscopic world emerges from the quantum microworld? (Image credit: MIT News)

FQXi BLOGS
March 29, 2017

CATEGORY: Blog [back]
TOPIC: Towards a Goal — Two Weeks to Go [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

FQXi Administrator Brendan Foster wrote on Feb. 21, 2017 @ 14:45 GMT
We are not slouching towards our goal, we are not wandering towards it, we are stepping firmly towards it.

We have just under two weeks left until the closing date of our 2017 essay contest, Wandering Towards a Goal, and we have over 80 entries so far. (60 posted, and the rest in processing.) Historically, the number of entries at this moment in the contest triples over the last two weeks. At this rate, we may end up with 240, which smashes our past record.

The due date to enter is next Friday March 3, 2017, just before midnight Eastern Time. Take some time to read our summary of the theme, and the full rules; then think deeply and creatively; then write your essay!

You can also read submitted essays and leave comments and questions for the authors.

Good reading, good writing, and good luck.

report post as inappropriate

Pentcho Valev wrote on Feb. 22, 2017 @ 13:54 GMT
I hesitated for a while but in the end didn't find a way to combine physics and teleology. They are in a dialectical contradiction, which means that either of them can only be developed in itself - any hybrid between the two sides of the contradiction is not even wrong.

Sorry, I am unable to write an essay on this topic.

Pentcho Valev

this post has been edited by the author since its original submission

Steven Andresen replied on Mar. 17, 2017 @ 04:04 GMT
Pentcho

I havent spent any effort sprooking my essay to date, but in light of these comments you made stating that physics and teleology are in dialectical contradiction. Incompatible! You sound like a tough customer, but I'm game for your peer review. I have an ultimate hybrid which you might not favor, but I'm sure you will get a kick out of all the same. If you will?

http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/2890

Steven Andresen

Gary D. Simpson wrote on Mar. 4, 2017 @ 04:21 GMT
All,

Looks like someone did a blanket one bomb on all or most of the newest entries ... sad, truly sad. It's not even mature enough to be childish.

Gary Simpson

Gary D. Simpson wrote on Mar. 4, 2017 @ 15:21 GMT
Nice ... it looks like now someone (not me) has done a 10 bomb on most of the folks who got one bombed earlier. That is certainly one way to prevent the one bomber from gaining any advantage ...

Kudos to someone:-)

Gary Simpson

Philip Gibbs wrote on Mar. 4, 2017 @ 16:28 GMT
I believe the past record is actually 269 essays for "Questioning the Foundations." I got the counts by clicking on the FORUM tab.

Bishal Banjara wrote on Mar. 5, 2017 @ 18:46 GMT
respected administrator,

I search search a comment box but I didn't' see it in this website...any way through this I could have direct talk with you...as there is boundless opportunity to present for me kind of people, we could discuss , explore our vision, deal in both sensual and non sensual thought, and much more....but the way of judging the easy or say rating the essay is quite bit unsatisfactory because, we are the people here with different aims and intension ....we want to deal on our own kind or say similar kind of essay as we have and are used to such manipulations, depending on our knowledge, our experience....so, there is most probable to go the nice essay dealing with best foundational level in vein, because of uncatchebility of ones theme by other authors as the more philosophical perceptive are emerging more and more and in next aspect the rating by community could allow biasness in one among others.....so, I humbly request to select few essay but the judging must remain within administration with the justifications without allowing to rate by community but only could comment or discuss as like what we are dealing right now.....I am very sory but I want to see this site sustain long....so, it is my humble request.... I am not showing my superiority..

thank you!!!

Anonymous wrote on Mar. 15, 2017 @ 15:43 GMT
Dear FQXi team

Only recently I understood the critical importance of your project. And I want to congratulate you by the way you are working it out. Allow me some words to explain why I value so much your project.

The discovery process, in whatever field, is a repetitive two way process, paradigm to data (P-D) and data to new paradigm (D-P). In the first process (P-D), data is...

view entire post

Steven Andresen replied on Mar. 17, 2017 @ 03:50 GMT
I like this take on things, and the way you explained how the machine that grinds out conventional science is primarily focused on Paradigm to Data interpretations, but not so good at Data interpretations leading to paradigm adjustments. It has lead to a situation whereby mainstream is mostly invested in a narrow view, even though there are enough unsolved mysteries that you would think it prudent to keep something of an open mind. I guess its human nature to be enthusiastic and get ahead of ourselves. Its a strength as well as a weakness.

Steve

Alfredo Gouveia Oliveira wrote on Mar. 24, 2017 @ 14:45 GMT
Love or Hate?

I know that the voting is a kind of reality show, but my essay received so far 4 minimum votes (3 times “1” and a “2”, if I am not in mistake) and 5 high votes (average 4.2); how is that? Is my essay so special that one can only Love or Hate it? I do not know the answer given that the authors of the down votes do not leave commentary… “trolls”? Maybe… but almost 50%????? Frightening… or amusing?

Alfredo Gouveia Oliveira

Domenico Oricchio replied on Mar. 24, 2017 @ 19:59 GMT
I am thinking a change, the next time, of voting.

I am thinking a mean of the given votes mean and the received votes mean, so that if a person give only ones, then the person lower the mean, if a person give high votes the person raise the mean.

In this way it eliminates the possibility of a direct influence against the neighboring competitors.

But, in general, with every vote system, the best essays remain the best essays.

Alfredo Gouveia Oliveira wrote on Mar. 25, 2017 @ 13:17 GMT
Dear Domenico

As I say in my essay, the "Selection" process must be independent of the "Hypotheses generation" one; I do not see how to make that possible in this case. That is the main problem of the scientific system in Physics. However, I think that the FQXi has a pretty good solution for this contest. The main goal of the voting system seems to me to be promoting the discussion of the essays. And it works!!!! Then there is a jury that can also make a choice - this is a safeguard process,

As you are thinking in a way of improving the voting system, my suggestion, which I do not know if it is good, it is just one more hypothesis, is that a vote be valid only if the voting author leaves a commentary. But in the overall. I think you have an adequate system considering your purpose.

Alfredo

Domenico Oricchio replied on Mar. 25, 2017 @ 19:19 GMT
Dear Alfredo

The vote in general is always secret, so that there is complete freedom from the influence of any kind.

So that, for me, it is right that someone (and it happened to me many times) is free to give me one, without this leading to a negative reaction from me, on the other hand a high mark would affect my behavior (and anonymity is a required cure).

I know that some ones are, in general, a tactical game, but this cannot change the votes of the better essays, and this is the important part of the game.

Domenico

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:

And select the letter between 'N' and 'P':

Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.