Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Current Essay Contest

Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fnd.

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discuss

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fnd.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Wilhelmus Wilde: on 4/5/17 at 14:53pm UTC, wrote Dear Janko, First of all congratulations you are the 100th comment on my...

Wilhelmus Wilde: on 4/2/17 at 15:52pm UTC, wrote Dear Janko, I have read your essay with much pleasure. One of the essays...

basudeba mishra: on 4/2/17 at 5:23am UTC, wrote Dear Sir, You are absolutely correct that “genes were not enough to...

basudeba mishra: on 3/4/17 at 17:07pm UTC, wrote Dear Sir, You have rightly observed that “Consciousness is composed of...

Joe Fisher: on 2/18/17 at 17:02pm UTC, wrote Dear Janko Kokosar, Please excuse me for I have no intention of...

Satyavarapu Gupta: on 2/18/17 at 0:41am UTC, wrote Dear Kokosar, Very Good essay on Quantum Gravity, Quantum consciousness,...

Janko Kokosar: on 2/17/17 at 20:42pm UTC, wrote Essay Abstract The author is developing the idea that genes were...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Joseph Campbell: "American and Chinese astrophysicists have suggested that by studying the..." in Multiversal Journeys'...

Joe Fisher: "Dear Georgina, Reality has got nothing to do with how I try to roughly..." in Quantum Dream Time

Georgina Woodward: "Joe, I think I ought to word my reply my precisely. I saw the product..." in Quantum Dream Time

austin fearnley: "You could investigate using the Rasch Model to grade the entries. There..." in What Is...

Watson waston: "Great and beautiful work is done by. You publish a detailed and informative..." in Kwiat’s Kwest:...

John Cox: "Good to know, Johnathan, thanks. I'm writing that down, hardcopy! Hope you..." in Conjuring a Neutron Star...

Jonathan Dickau: "To John and others lured in by such offers... My dad fell prey to this..." in Conjuring a Neutron Star...

Watson waston: "The information is very good and very useful. I really like it and I am..." in Kwiat’s Kwest:...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Quantum Dream Time
Defining a ‘quantum clock’ and a 'quantum ruler' could help those attempting to unify physics—and solve the mystery of vanishing time.

Our Place in the Multiverse
Calculating the odds that intelligent observers arise in parallel universes—and working out what they might see.

Sounding the Drums to Listen for Gravity’s Effect on Quantum Phenomena
A bench-top experiment could test the notion that gravity breaks delicate quantum superpositions.

Watching the Observers
Accounting for quantum fuzziness could help us measure space and time—and the cosmos—more accurately.

Bohemian Reality: Searching for a Quantum Connection to Consciousness
Is there are sweet spot where artificial intelligence systems could have the maximum amount of consciousness while retaining powerful quantum properties?

FQXi FORUM
November 20, 2017

CATEGORY: Wandering Towards a Goal Essay Contest (2016-2017) [back]
TOPIC: Goal, free-will and qualia in biological evolution by Janko Kokosar [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Janko Kokosar wrote on Feb. 17, 2017 @ 20:42 GMT
Essay Abstract

The author is developing the idea that genes were not enough in evolution to create goals, because the first goals should have arisen quickly. This is another clue that consciousness exists also at unicellular organisms. Besides, qualia are more primitive form of a goal. Consciousness is composed of qualia and free-will, and both need new physics. Free-will is based also on quantum consciousness. Although it seems that it is disproved by Tegmark, it is very obvious, thus it cannot be disproved until it will not be clarified what a physical base of consciousness is. Quantum consciousness is based also on panpsychism, which has already some support in mainstream science. Explanations of goal, free-will, qualia, and consciousness are also things of explanation of time. It is shown how time is connected with matter and how with consciousness. At the end it is criticized, how official science too much ignores goals and ideas of authors that do not belong to it.

Author Bio

In young age, the author obtained some prizes in the country level competitions in mathematics, physics and chess. He graduated in Physics in 1989 and then he has been working in steel industry. He developed some theories in fundamental physics and theories of consciousness. He found some formulae for the elementary particles masses, offers an explanation of three space dimensions, he developed one step toward quantization of gravity, and generalized the uncertainty principle. He also tries to simplify explanations of the fundamental theories of physics. He is waiting for the valuation of his theories. He published one rebuttal.

Download Essay PDF File

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta wrote on Feb. 18, 2017 @ 00:41 GMT
Dear Kokosar,

Very Good essay on Quantum Gravity, Quantum consciousness, Freewill and time etc..

Your words in Page 7… “For instance, now it is not known how to merge absolute time of quantum mechanics and relative time of general relativity.”….

..... In Dynamic Universe model Time is time and space is space..... By mixing both the time and space, will give rise to singularities….

Your words ...” direction of time as dependent of psychological time arrow, of entropic time arrow, of existence of matter, and of dimensionless coupling constant of elementary particles.’ …..

Why cant we take direction of time is only one side, no going backwards, like in Dynamic universe model.... I request you to consider this concept also… What problems may arise….?

Have look at my essay also…

Best wishes…………….

=snp. Gupta

report post as inappropriate

Joe Fisher wrote on Feb. 18, 2017 @ 17:02 GMT
Dear Janko Kokosar,

Please excuse me for I have no intention of disparaging in any way any part of your essay.

I merely wish to point out that “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler. Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955) Physicist & Nobel Laureate.”

Only nature could produce a reality so simple, a single cell amoeba could deal with it.

The real Universe must consist only of one unified visible infinite physical surface occurring in one infinite dimension, that am always illuminated by infinite non-surface light.

A more detailed explanation of natural reality can be found in my essay, SCORE ONE FOR SIMPLICITY. I do hope that you will read my essay and perhaps comment on its merit.

Joe Fisher, Realist

basudeba mishra wrote on Mar. 4, 2017 @ 17:07 GMT
Dear Sir,

You have rightly observed that “Consciousness is composed of qualia and free-will, and both need new physics”. Qualia are variously defined as the qualities that are accessible to us when we introspect - that which together make up the phenomenal character of the experience, properties of sense data or the subjective or qualitative properties of experiences - a quality or...

view entire post

basudeba mishra wrote on Apr. 2, 2017 @ 05:23 GMT
Dear Sir,

You are absolutely correct that “genes were not enough to obtain the goal of survival in evolution”, because genes are body matter that ceases to function when we die. Even when we are alive, the genes die and new genes are born. The “goal of survival” are a conscious function. If the genes carry out these functions, they must be conscious. But when a gene dies, how does...

view entire post

Wilhelmus de Wilde wrote on Apr. 2, 2017 @ 15:52 GMT
Dear Janko,

I have read your essay with much pleasure.

One of the essays that are investigating the essence of consciousness.

So I don't understand why you are so low on the list and I lifted you up.

I don't see any reactions on posts here on your thread so I made a short post , hoping that you will also read my essay : "The Purpose of Life" leave a comment and maybe also give it a rating.

best regards, hope to hear from you

Wilhelmus de Wilde

Wilhelmus de Wilde replied on Apr. 5, 2017 @ 14:53 GMT
Dear Janko,

First of all congratulations you are the 100th comment on my thread...

Thanks a lot for your reading and attention.

About references I can only say that I don't have them, this thoughts just came on about five years ago and I am still working on it to improve and make them all round.

In fact we are all searching for "The Reference of Refernce" but still cannot find it. The only reference is the center of our Subjective Simultaneity Sphere, our own consciousness.

The past is a fixed set of data, that we are using to make predictions. These predictions may not at all be right, because we just don't know what the next Eternal Now Moment will bring us, it just can create quite another past in our minds. This new past will not be the awareness of new, but just as a lived flow of inforation in our life-line. This NEW Eternal Now Moment has connected us with another past and so a new future. The "old" flow of past data is still existing as just another ENM (probability) in Total Simultaneity. Maybe another aspect of the Total You is continuing thsi flow, taking his own decisions (free will).

What I am trying to say is that our experience of a past and the so called FLOW that is representing our "lived" (experienced) past is just ONE Eternal NOW Moment in Total Simultaneity. TS is timeless and so without "happenings". Without Consciousness this would just be a pile of information, chaos. Time and Space are emergent from Total Consciousness in order to create ALL possible Time/Life-lines in every probable and improbable (for us) emergent realities.

That is the reason why every opinion counts, it is part of the totality. The colours of a rainbow make the rainbow beautifull.

If you have more questions don't hesitate to ask them.

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.