Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Current Essay Contest

Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fnd.

Previous Contests

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

George Ellis: on 2/25/17 at 19:45pm UTC, wrote Dear Muder H. Moldier, Your essay does a great job in presenting...

George Ellis: on 2/25/17 at 16:37pm UTC, wrote Dear Muder H. Moldier, Your essay does a great job in presenting...

Harry Ricker III: on 2/22/17 at 0:19am UTC, wrote Hi, I liked this essay a lot, and one reason is that I think yours and and...

Satyavarapu Gupta: on 2/19/17 at 10:34am UTC, wrote Dear Moldier, Good essay on Philosophy. You discussed nicely about...

Mohamed Haj Yousef: on 2/17/17 at 7:35am UTC, wrote “ - Destiny finds those who listen, and fate finds the rest.” Author:...

Joe Fisher: on 2/16/17 at 16:56pm UTC, wrote Dear Philosopher Muldier, Please excuse me for I do not wish to be too...

Muder Moldier: on 2/14/17 at 16:21pm UTC, wrote Essay Abstract When evaluating morality, there are two principals...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Jose Koshy: "James Putnam, What do you mean by the acceleration of light? Do you mean..." in Alternative Models of...

Jose Koshy: "Steven, Because we are not sitting face to face, I may not be replying..." in Alternative Models of...

Algernon kk: "Steve Agnew is a legend for doing that. A lot of people at online resume..." in Weinberg: Why quantum...

Mohan rao: "Voot app free download Flash Recovery" in Time in Physics & Entropy...

Mohan rao: "My partner and I stumbled over here different website and thought I might..." in Time in Physics & Entropy...

Gary Simpson: "Ted, BTW, it is the community vote that matters ... not the public vote...." in FQXi Essay Contest 2016:...

Gary Simpson: "Ted, You statement regarding your score does not make any sense. You..." in FQXi Essay Contest 2016:...

Algernon kk: "Steve Agnew is a legend for doing that. A lot of people at custom..." in Weinberg: Why quantum...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Quantum Replicants: Should future androids dream of quantum sheep?
To build the ultimate artificial mimics of real life systems, we may need to use quantum memory.

Painting a QBist Picture of Reality
A radical interpretation of physics makes quantum theory more personal.

The Spacetime Revolutionary
Carlo Rovelli describes how black holes may transition to "white holes," according to loop quantum gravity, a radical rewrite of fundamental physics.

Riding the Rogue Quantum Waves
Could giant sea swells help explain how the macroscopic world emerges from the quantum microworld? (Image credit: MIT News)

Rescuing Reality
A "retrocausal" rewrite of physics, in which influences from the future can affect the past, could solve some quantum quandaries—saving Einstein's view of reality along the way.

FQXi FORUM
February 28, 2017

CATEGORY: Wandering Towards a Goal Essay Contest (2016-2017) [back]
TOPIC: The Character between Teleology and Deontology by Muder H. Moldier [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

This essay's rating: Community = 5.4; Public = 5.5

Author Muder H. Moldier wrote on Feb. 14, 2017 @ 16:21 GMT
Essay Abstract

When evaluating morality, there are two principals of ethical theories that can be contrasted. These theories are deontological ethics and teleological ethics. While teleological ethics focuses on moral acts in order to achieve some sort of end, deontological ethics argues that morality is an obligation and is not reducible to a creation of good consequences. Given these distinctively opposite characteristics, it is obvious that when viewing morally relevant situations that the methods of approaching them will conflict as well. Not only will these differences depend on the deontological or the teleological ethicist point of view, but opinions will also vary when surreptitiously observing the egoist, the altruist, and the universalist.

Author Bio

Just an amateur philosopher who believe that the reality take ever new forms, as soon as you feel that you know the reality it will change.

Download Essay PDF File

Joe Fisher wrote on Feb. 16, 2017 @ 16:56 GMT
Dear Philosopher Muldier,

Please excuse me for I do not wish to be too critical of your fine essay and I do hope that it fairs well in the competition.

Only nature could produce a reality so simple, a single cell amoeba could deal with it.

The real Universe must consist only of one unified visible infinite physical surface occurring in one infinite dimension, that am always illuminated by infinite non-surface light.

A more detailed explanation of natural reality can be found in my essay, SCORE ONE FOR SIMPLICITY. I do hope that you will read my essay and comment on its merit.

Joe Fisher, Realist

report post as inappropriate

Mohamed Ali Haj Yousef wrote on Feb. 17, 2017 @ 07:35 GMT
“ - Destiny finds those who listen, and fate finds the rest.”

Author: Marshall Masters

quotinq

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta wrote on Feb. 19, 2017 @ 10:34 GMT
Dear Moldier,

Good essay on Philosophy. You discussed nicely about character, Ethics, Altruists, Fate and destiny etc…. Good…

Request you to have a look at my essay also…

Best wishes…………….

=snp. gupta

Harry Hamlin Ricker III wrote on Feb. 22, 2017 @ 00:19 GMT
Hi, I liked this essay a lot, and one reason is that I think yours and and mine are complementary in many ways. The presentation is excellent. Thanks for the great job on it.

Member George F. R. Ellis wrote on Feb. 25, 2017 @ 16:37 GMT
Dear Muder H. Moldier,

Your essay does a great job in presenting alternative approaches to ethics. It ought to be required reading for all those neuroscientists, psychologists, and evolutionary theorists who are busy trying to derives ethics from science. However it does not seem to relate closely to the FQXI essay theme: how can this arise out of physics?

That link is provided by the fact that ethical stances act in a top down way to affect all lower level thought processes by setting the limits of what can be regarded as acceptable and non-acceptable actions (I outline how this happens in my book How Can Physics Underlie the Mind?), which psychological processes are then instantiated at the lowest level through ion and electron flows mediated by biomolecules, as I describe on my essay.

Thus I believe your essay fits in nicely with my own, in terms of providing an analysis of key higher level thoughts and concepts that drive the whole.

George Ellis

Member George F. R. Ellis wrote on Feb. 25, 2017 @ 19:45 GMT
Dear Muder H. Moldier,

Your essay does a great job in presenting alternative approaches to ethics. It ought to be required reading for all those neuroscientists, psychologists, and evolutionary theorists who are busy trying to derives ethics from science. However it does not seem to relate closely to the FQXI essay theme: how can this arise out of physics?

That link is provided by the fact that ethical stances act in a top down way to affect all lower level thought processes by setting the limits of what can be regarded as acceptable and non-acceptable actions (I outline how this happens in my book How Can Physics Underlie the Mind?), which psychological processes are then instantiated at the lowest level through ion and electron flows mediated by biomolecules, as I describe on my essay.

Thus I believe your essay fits in nicely with my own, in terms of providing an analysis of key higher level thoughts and concepts that drive the whole.

George Ellis

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:

And select the letter between 'B' and 'D':

Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.