Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Current Essay Contest

Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fnd.

Previous Contests

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Vladimir Rodin: on 3/30/17 at 13:55pm UTC, wrote Very good work, Mr. Persson and it must be said, unfairly low sized up. I...

Bayarsaikhan Choisuren: on 3/30/17 at 0:00am UTC, wrote Dear John-Erik Persson, Your essay is interesting for me. Because you...

Vladimir Fedorov: on 3/4/17 at 13:50pm UTC, wrote Dear John-Erik Persson I support your desire in essay to substantiate...

Jeff Yee: on 2/18/17 at 5:21am UTC, wrote John-Erik, Kudos, kudos, kudos! I wasn't sure what to expect after...

Satyavarapu Gupta: on 2/17/17 at 6:30am UTC, wrote Thank you Persson .... for your excellent essay giving good history of...

George Kirakosyan: on 2/17/17 at 4:49am UTC, wrote Dear Erik, I am fully with you that we are in big trouble - that is why I...

Eckard Blumschein: on 2/16/17 at 21:51pm UTC, wrote Dear John-Erik Persson, Fundamental criticism requires not just ideas but...

Joe Fisher: on 2/15/17 at 17:14pm UTC, wrote Dear Mr Persson, Please excuse me for I do not wish to be too critical of...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Anonymous: "So, Ginger, What is your thinking on whether Planck's yet to be..." in Purifying Physics: The...

Ginger Grey: "When we studied Physics at Central Washington University, we used to hire..." in Purifying Physics: The...

Steve Dufourny: "Hi Jonathan, Your reasoning is relevant.Let's try to do it Jonathan with..." in FQXi Essay Contest 2016:...

Jonathan Dickau: "As it turns out... My personal philosophy specifically treats the notion..." in FQXi Essay Contest 2016:...

Quantum Antigravity: "EXPERIMENTAL quantum Anti-gravity —..." in The Myth of Gravity

Pentcho Valev: "Money for teleology and silly songs only? The teleology contest is a..." in Towards a Goal — Two...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Bohemian Reality: Searching for a Quantum Connection to Consciousness
Is there are sweet spot where artificial intelligence systems could have the maximum amount of consciousness while retaining powerful quantum properties?

Quantum Replicants: Should future androids dream of quantum sheep?
To build the ultimate artificial mimics of real life systems, we may need to use quantum memory.

Painting a QBist Picture of Reality
A radical interpretation of physics makes quantum theory more personal.

The Spacetime Revolutionary
Carlo Rovelli describes how black holes may transition to "white holes," according to loop quantum gravity, a radical rewrite of fundamental physics.

Riding the Rogue Quantum Waves
Could giant sea swells help explain how the macroscopic world emerges from the quantum microworld? (Image credit: MIT News)

FQXi FORUM
April 26, 2017

CATEGORY: Wandering Towards a Goal Essay Contest (2016-2017) [back]
TOPIC: A Tragedy in Physics by John-Erik Persson [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author John-Erik Persson wrote on Feb. 14, 2017 @ 16:20 GMT
Essay Abstract

This article is about the not observed difference between the beam direction, representing the motion of light, and the ray direction, representing the orientation of the wave fronts. Disregarding this difference has delayed development in physics for a long time.

Author Bio

The author is a retired engineer with an MS in EE. He is a member of the CNPS (Chapell Natural Philosophy Society). See the blog at: www.naturalphilosophy.org/site/johnerikpersson

Download Essay PDF File

George Kirakosyan wrote on Feb. 15, 2017 @ 12:44 GMT
Dear John-Erik

Sorry! I was a little busy. Just now I seen your post and have read your kindly words on my work. Thank you!

Now I start read your "tragedy" with interest - as we really have faced to biggest tragedy!

I will return soon with my opinion, as I felt it may to interest you.

Best wishes

report post as inappropriate

Jose P. Koshy wrote on Feb. 15, 2017 @ 14:10 GMT
John-Erik Persson,

The Title of your essay attracted me. I thought you would be saying something about 'mindless mathematical laws' causing tragedy. But the tragedy turned out to be something else. However, I agree with your view regarding time-dilation. The Relativity Theories of Einstein view everything in the universe to be relative, except the 'clock'. Wherever you go, your clock knows the 'speed of time' at that place; we can call it an 'absolute clock'. The question is whether it is the 'clock' or the 'time' that is absolute.

Regarding light, I am with Newton. I propose that light is streams of rotating particle-pairs having fields. Rotating pairs create wave-patterns, and so light shows properties of waves.

Jose P Koshy

Joe Fisher wrote on Feb. 15, 2017 @ 17:14 GMT
Dear Mr Persson,

Please excuse me for I do not wish to be too critical of your fine essay and I do hope that it fairs well in the competition.

Only nature could produce a reality so simple, a single cell amoeba could deal with it.

The real Universe must consist only of one unified visible infinite physical surface occurring in one infinite dimension, that am always illuminated by infinite non-surface light.

A more detailed explanation of natural reality can be found in my essay, SCORE ONE FOR SIMPLICITY. I do hope that you will read my essay and comment on its merit.

Joe Fisher, Realist

Eckard Blumschein wrote on Feb. 16, 2017 @ 21:51 GMT
Dear John-Erik Persson,

Fundamental criticism requires not just ideas but also serious scientific scrutiny of literature. May I kindly ask you to comment on

http://tf.boulder.nist.gov/general/pdf/2447.pdf ?

Maybe, already an appropriate hint could be helpful even if we are a bit off topic in this contest.

Thank you in advance,

Eckard

George Kirakosyan wrote on Feb. 17, 2017 @ 04:49 GMT
Dear Erik,

I am fully with you that we are in big trouble - that is why I welcome your essay!

However, you try to solve problems by reanimation the ether. It is wrong. I just friendly asking you to trust me. The ether is not there, It is harmful and no need!

So, I can evaluate your work as fifty on fifty!

Best wishes

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta wrote on Feb. 17, 2017 @ 06:30 GMT
Thank you Persson

.... for your excellent essay giving good history of contemporary science, that delayed progress of science, but you touched upto Special theory of relativity only. You have nicely touched many problems like ether on GPS… Why you have left General theory of Relativity and Expanding Universe models based on Bigbang !?!

Jeff Yee wrote on Feb. 18, 2017 @ 05:21 GMT
John-Erik,

Kudos, kudos, kudos! I wasn't sure what to expect after reading the title of your paper, but the contents are spot on. In fact, I've already signed up as a member of the blog site that you mention. I have been an advocate to bring back aether and absolutely agree that its dismissal has led to more than a century of wrong turns in physics because it could not be factored into equations.

I thought you might be interested to see Gabriel LaFreniere's computer simulation as an explanation to the Michelson Morley experiment. His work is on this site:

http://www.rhythmodynamics.com/Gabriel_LaFreniere/sa_Mi
chelson.htm

Also, I'll post some of my work on the Natural Philosopher's Community now that I'm signed up, but as it relates to FQXi, here's a paper that my colleagues and I submitted for this contest if you're curious to give it a read:

The Relation of Particles Numbers to Atomic Numbers

Regards,

Jeff

Vladimir Nikolaevich Fedorov wrote on Mar. 4, 2017 @ 13:50 GMT
Dear John-Erik Persson

I support your desire in essay to substantiate error of negative result of the Michelson.

"Although the effect predicted by Michelson, really, is not observed from the - for this compensation."

In My essay it is shown that the using of mathematical abstractions and ideal properties of matter and fields in the description of physical...

view entire post

Bayarsaikhan Bayarsaikhan Choisuren wrote on Mar. 30, 2017 @ 00:00 GMT
Dear John-Erik Persson,

Your essay is interesting for me. Because you assumed the aether.

Particular your idea interesting that

“An ether wind transverse to wave velocity is falling inside the plane of the wave front. This means that changes in transverse ether wind cannot change orientation of wave front, since all points on the wave front are affected equally. Transverse ether wind is therefore irrelevant in relation to the ray direction, but relevant in relation to the beam direction. Transverse ether wind can change motion of light, but not orientation of wave fronts. This fact is important, and means that in systems sensitive to phase only the component in ether wind parallel to wave velocity is relevant….

We find also that Faraday’s ether not only exists; the ether can explain gravity as well, and also the Pioneer anomaly and other effects.”

Also I tried to explain the mechanism of gravitational interaction while assuming aether in my essay that http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/2826

Also I visited at your site www.naturalphilosophy.org/site/johnerikpersson.

I appreciate your essay in the Contest.

With Best Regards,

Ch.Bayarsaikhan

Vladimir Rodin wrote on Mar. 30, 2017 @ 13:55 GMT
Very good work, Mr. Persson and it must be said, unfairly low sized up. I agree almost with all excluding of "ether wind". Neatly formulated conclusion. Bravo! I certainly highly appreciate yours paper.

Regards and good luck,

Vladimir A. Rodin

http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/2752

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.