Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Current Essay Contest

Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fnd.

Previous Contests

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Satyavarapu Gupta: on 2/19/17 at 0:49am UTC, wrote Dear Patrick, I saw your You-tube presentation, It is very good. you are...

Satyavarapu Gupta: on 2/19/17 at 0:07am UTC, wrote Thank you Patrick, I saw your photo, you look very smart... Thank you for...

Alexander Ilyanok: on 2/18/17 at 17:18pm UTC, wrote Dear Patrick, I read your essay today and find that we are in more...

Karl Coryat: on 2/16/17 at 19:11pm UTC, wrote Interesting. Another perspective might be, rather than that the essence of...

Patrick Tonin: on 2/16/17 at 12:55pm UTC, wrote Yes snp, you are correct: "not the non-existent existed, nor did the...

Patrick Tonin: on 2/16/17 at 12:43pm UTC, wrote Hi Karl, Thank you for reading my essay and for your nice comments. To...

Karl Coryat: on 2/16/17 at 2:47am UTC, wrote Patrick: I like your approach to the philosophy of science -- it is very...

Satyavarapu Gupta: on 2/15/17 at 23:48pm UTC, wrote Dear Patrick, This post I am reproducing from my essay... I know your...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Jose Koshy: "James Putnam, What do you mean by the acceleration of light? Do you mean..." in Alternative Models of...

Jose Koshy: "Steven, Because we are not sitting face to face, I may not be replying..." in Alternative Models of...

Algernon kk: "Steve Agnew is a legend for doing that. A lot of people at online resume..." in Weinberg: Why quantum...

Mohan rao: "Voot app free download Flash Recovery" in Time in Physics & Entropy...

Mohan rao: "My partner and I stumbled over here different website and thought I might..." in Time in Physics & Entropy...

Gary Simpson: "Ted, BTW, it is the community vote that matters ... not the public vote...." in FQXi Essay Contest 2016:...

Gary Simpson: "Ted, You statement regarding your score does not make any sense. You..." in FQXi Essay Contest 2016:...

Algernon kk: "Steve Agnew is a legend for doing that. A lot of people at custom..." in Weinberg: Why quantum...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Quantum Replicants: Should future androids dream of quantum sheep?
To build the ultimate artificial mimics of real life systems, we may need to use quantum memory.

Painting a QBist Picture of Reality
A radical interpretation of physics makes quantum theory more personal.

The Spacetime Revolutionary
Carlo Rovelli describes how black holes may transition to "white holes," according to loop quantum gravity, a radical rewrite of fundamental physics.

Riding the Rogue Quantum Waves
Could giant sea swells help explain how the macroscopic world emerges from the quantum microworld? (Image credit: MIT News)

Rescuing Reality
A "retrocausal" rewrite of physics, in which influences from the future can affect the past, could solve some quantum quandaries—saving Einstein's view of reality along the way.

FQXi FORUM
February 28, 2017

CATEGORY: Wandering Towards a Goal Essay Contest (2016-2017) [back]
TOPIC: A Universe of information and consciousness by Patrick Tonin [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

This essay's rating: Community = 5.4; Public = 5.7

Author Patrick Tonin wrote on Feb. 7, 2017 @ 21:43 GMT
Essay Abstract

Most theoretical physicists seem to find it difficult to relate notions like information and consciousness to the physical world. I believe that part of the problem is that they are convinced that matter is the fundamental substance in nature. But what if information and consciousness were the very basic constituents of our Universe ? By using simple logic, I will try to show, in just 2 pages, that information and consciousness are inevitable and ubiquitous in the Universe and that our 3D material reality is only an emergent phenomenon.

Author Bio

BSc in Electronics and Computing - BA in Business Studies. Former Sales Director in computer networking industry.

Download Essay PDF File

Author Patrick Tonin wrote on Feb. 8, 2017 @ 08:12 GMT
"I regard consciousness as fundamental. I regard matter as derivative from consciousness. We cannot get behind consciousness. Everything that we talk about, everything that we regard as existing, postulates consciousness"

Max Planck (The Observer - 25 January 1931)

Vladimir Rogozhin replied on Feb. 8, 2017 @ 11:37 GMT
Dear Patrick!

I read with interest your essay. Excellent analysis, dialectical approach and are extremely important conclusion with which I fully agree: Consciousness is therefore ubiquitous in the Universe. My high score. We are waiting for the continuation.Yours faithfully,Vladimir

report post as inappropriate

Author Patrick Tonin replied on Feb. 8, 2017 @ 12:59 GMT
Dear Vladimir,

Thank you for reading my essay and for your nice comments. I will read yours and leave my comments on your blog.

Regards,

Patrick

sridattadev kancharla wrote on Feb. 8, 2017 @ 17:06 GMT
Dear Patrick,

I enjoyed your hypothesis on trinity of existence, non existence and consciousness. I hope that you will enjoy a study of consciousness that I put forth in There are no goals as such and Singularity of consciousness .

Cheers.

Author Patrick Tonin replied on Feb. 8, 2017 @ 18:11 GMT
Dear Sridattadev,

I am glad you enjoyed my essay. I will take a look at your links and comment on your blog.

Cheers,

Patrick

Joe Fisher replied on Feb. 10, 2017 @ 16:56 GMT
Dear Patrick Tonin,

Please excuse me for I do not wish to be too critical of your fine essay and I do hope that it fairs well in the competition.

Only nature could produce a reality so simple, a single cell amoeba could deal with it.

One real visible Universe must have only one reality. Simple natural reality has nothing to do with any abstract complex musings about any imaginary invisible “information and consciousness (that) are inevitable and ubiquitous in the (invisible) Universe and that our 3D material reality is only an emergent phenomenon.” The real Universe must consist only of one unified visible infinite physical surface occurring in one infinite dimension, that am always illuminated by infinite non-surface light.

A more detailed explanation of natural reality can be found in my essay, SCORE ONE FOR SIMPLICITY. I do hope that you will read my essay and comment on its merit.

Joe Fisher, Realist

Mohamed Ali Haj Yousef wrote on Feb. 12, 2017 @ 16:13 GMT
Thank you dear Patrick for your positive comment.

I read your essay, and although it is very short but it does actually touch on the basic reality, though it requires further analysis.

In my openion althogh everything is essentially predestined, but since we do not know the destination we need to work in order to arrive to it. So you see it is all about knowledge and information as you said. The best way to understand this is to take two points of view, or two refernces as in Relativity.

So with respect to someone moving at the speed of light, everything exits all at once (and this is obtained by Relativity itself; a photon encounters no space-time), so everything is known, but with respect to an inertial observer, he/she need to move through space and time in order to realize more potential information.

In my original model as described in my other articles/books, I explain how one could attain these high states of realization. In summary this has to be by giviing away or giving up mass. This can even be seen through the equations:

And then integrate from m to zero when dv=0:

I hope the latex equations work!

Best Regards

Mohamed

Mohamed Ali Haj Yousef replied on Feb. 12, 2017 @ 16:15 GMT
Please see the post and the equations in my original post:

original post

Janice F. Murin replied on Feb. 13, 2017 @ 14:20 GMT
The essay is very short, but I like the ideas. It seems that the TRINITY of EXISTENCE CONSCIOUSNESS NONEXISTENCE is at work everywhere.

Author Patrick Tonin replied on Feb. 13, 2017 @ 16:33 GMT
Dear Janice,

Thank you for reading my essay. I am glad that you like the ideas.

All the best,

Patrick

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta wrote on Feb. 15, 2017 @ 08:59 GMT
Dear Patrick Tonin,

Thank you for your beautiful discussion of information and consciousness in the physical world… Your conclusion is excellent… I fully agree: Consciousness is therefore ubiquitous in the Universe….

For further discussion, hope you not mind, please see your words…

1…..” At the start of the Universe there is nothing, nothing exists, not even time.”

2….” At this stage, we could say that UB’s are anywhere and at any time but also everywhere and at every time. From this point of view, we could say that the Universe is infinite and has always existed.”

Are contradicting yourself… ?

Hope you will not mind having a look at my essay also…

Best Regards

=snp

Author Patrick Tonin replied on Feb. 15, 2017 @ 12:44 GMT
Dear Snp,

That's a good point you make !

In fact, it depends on the point of view. From the point of view of the Universe seen as a whole, we could say that it is infinite and has always existed but from the point of view of someone's reality, it has a definite start. I believe that there is an infinite number of realities.

I will read your essay and leave a comment on your blog.

Best regards,

Patrick

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta replied on Feb. 15, 2017 @ 22:09 GMT
Thank you Patrick Tonin,

For your nice reply. it is good to know that you also got similar ideas,Can you please send me that essay as attachment here or through email.

My essay was available in viXra also, I also uploaded it there.......

Can you please send your comments again to me thro my mail id snp.gupta@gmail.com

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta replied on Feb. 15, 2017 @ 23:48 GMT
Dear Patrick,

This post I am reproducing from my essay...

I know your words…. “At the start of the Universe there is nothing, nothing exists, not even time. The most fundamental notion, a state of existence itself, has to be defined. But as nothing exists, how can a state of existence be defined ? The only solution is simply to introduce a state of non-existence.”… are concepts from Vedas only… As I remember it is from “Shristi suktam or the Hymn of creation”…

I bow low for knowledge of Vedas….. Excellent… !

Can you please send me some more details of your paper on your universe model…..

Best wishes to your essay

=snp

Karl H Coryat wrote on Feb. 16, 2017 @ 02:47 GMT
Patrick: I like your approach to the philosophy of science -- it is very plain, straightforward, and concise. I would like to hear how you define "choice," given your assertion on p. 2 that a primordial choice can be either made or not made. Does choice evolve, and if so, how would primordial choice be manifested in the emergent world we observe?

It strikes me that your first-principles approach to a universe ontologically made of information shares similarities to the thesis of my 2012 FQXi essay, which won a prize. I expanded that into a book, which is available online for free if you have any interest in checking it out. Thanks for the read!

-Karl Coryat

Author Patrick Tonin replied on Feb. 16, 2017 @ 12:43 GMT
Hi Karl,

Thank you for reading my essay and for your nice comments.

To answer your question, the primordial choice is made by the primordial state of consciousness. It is simply the most basic choice "to exist" or "not to exist". We could say that choice will evolve along with consciousness and I believe that the essence of that choice will always tend towards existence and that's why atoms, matter, plants, living organisms exist. The higher the state of consciousness, the more complex the "organism" is.

I will take a look at your essay and also the 2012 one.

All the best,

Patrick

Karl H Coryat replied on Feb. 16, 2017 @ 19:11 GMT
Interesting. Another perspective might be, rather than that the essence of choice will always tend toward existence, one could suggest that choice could go either way (perhaps with equal likelihood), and by the anthropic principle, we find ourselves in a world where choice has tended toward existence and ultimately consciousness. -KC

Alexander M. Ilyanok wrote on Feb. 18, 2017 @ 17:18 GMT
Dear Patrick,

I read your essay today and find that we are in more agreement.

I adhere to view that the Universe is infinite and has always existed. And now, at the dawn of the technological singularity, we have chance to bring potential existence, potential non-existence into a 3D material reality.

We can talk about problem of digital mind and look beyond the horizon of events after the point of singularity – “Digital mind - one of the ways to immortality”

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/31372
4058_Digital_mind_-_one_of_the_ways_to_immortality

https://ww
w.researchgate.net/publication/278018597_Nanoclusters_as_sup
eratoms_and_supermolecules

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:

And select the letter between 'M' and 'O':

Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.