Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fnd.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Yehuda Atai: on 8/25/17 at 13:28pm UTC, wrote Dear hellen Thanks. You can simply download Essay PDF File up above. Have...

hellen jos: on 8/25/17 at 11:49am UTC, wrote Here you shared an essay abstract and I like this abstract. I want to read...

Yehuda Atai: on 8/19/17 at 13:53pm UTC, wrote Thanks Alena

alena lis: on 8/19/17 at 11:55am UTC, wrote This is really good information I have visited this blog to read something...

sussan betcher: on 4/21/17 at 10:50am UTC, wrote I am looking forward to the next month essay competition happening at our...

Alexey/Lev Burov: on 3/29/17 at 0:57am UTC, wrote Dear Yehuda, Your essay is humane and poetic, with some elegiac taste,...

Yehuda Atai: on 3/27/17 at 17:28pm UTC, wrote Hi Tommaso I am glad to remind you some ideas of Teilhard De Chardin...

Tommaso Bolognesi: on 3/27/17 at 13:33pm UTC, wrote Dear Yuda, some initial parts of your essay appeared to me as vaguely...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

mono joli: "thanks a lot for such a great topic. Scary Maze Games Basketball Legends..." in The Race to Replace the...

Joe Fisher: "Dear Dr. Brendan Foster, Of course: “We Are All Connected .” My..." in We Are All Connected

Caroline v: "Thanks for informing us about FQXi-sponsored workshop which aim was to..." in Schrödinger’s Cat...

Caroline v: "thanks" in Schrödinger’s Cat...

Yelena Hopper: "Training is the way toward encouraging learning, or the procurement of..." in Wandering Towards a Goal:...

Yelena Hopper: "This article is such a pleasant and intriguing one, I'm exceptionally happy..." in We Are All Connected

Yelena Hopper: "Pushing the points of confinement of hypothesis and creative energy in..." in Review of “A Big Bang...

George Manner: "This is very interesting thing to know about Comment on hand" in Multiversal Journeys'...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Our Place in the Multiverse
Calculating the odds that intelligent observers arise in parallel universes—and working out what they might see.

Sounding the Drums to Listen for Gravity’s Effect on Quantum Phenomena
A bench-top experiment could test the notion that gravity breaks delicate quantum superpositions.

Watching the Observers
Accounting for quantum fuzziness could help us measure space and time—and the cosmos—more accurately.

Bohemian Reality: Searching for a Quantum Connection to Consciousness
Is there are sweet spot where artificial intelligence systems could have the maximum amount of consciousness while retaining powerful quantum properties?

Quantum Replicants: Should future androids dream of quantum sheep?
To build the ultimate artificial mimics of real life systems, we may need to use quantum memory.

FQXi FORUM
October 17, 2017

CATEGORY: Wandering Towards a Goal Essay Contest (2016-2017) [back]
TOPIC: We are together, therefore I am by Yehuda Atai [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Yehuda Atai wrote on Feb. 7, 2017 @ 21:43 GMT
Essay Abstract

This article explains how perception of the concreteness of the phenomenon occurs in general and in the human being in particular, itself a living concrete phenomenon. How does the perception of a phenomenon impress its existence on us, and ratify it for us as unique, continuous and concrete? Physicists such as Newton, Einstein, Bohr and others attributed the source of movement to physical forces (gravity and so on). These forces indeed act and have an effect, but they are not sufficient to explain the attributes of movement and how it comes about. Philosophers Synofzik Matthis, Vosgerau Gottfried and Newen Albert claim in Consciousness and Cognition: “I move, therefore I am”. I will show in a phenomenological approach that "movement", though it is the common denominator of all phenomena in space, does not itself suffice to explain the ratification of concreteness. Today, physics defines “movement” with four attributes—momentum, vector, mass-energy, and "time"—but to my mind each movement has up to twenty different attributes such as: behavior, character, matter, form, communication-language, memory and aims (purposes). I will show that already before a “movement” is chosen, the relation between two ontological existences “knows” and ratifies the two existents. The qualities of the attributes of the “movement” differ from one phenomenon (self-organization) to another, enabling each phenomenon to be unique in its existence. I will show how "movements" ratify for each other their concrete existence through their relations with one another, no less with two single movements than with the self-organization of the human being. Terms: Causality, duality, duration of reality, concreteness, principle of finitude, uniqueness, unity, multiplicity, meaning, relation, possibilities of action, movement, freedom of choice, attributes of movement, quality of movement, generator, generic platform, infogeneric knowledge, thought and self-organization.

Author Bio

Degree in database analysis and statistics (University of Maryland, 1972) Operations research and systems analysis ( George Washington University, 1973) Doctorate in cybernetics and international finance (George Washington University, 1976) An assistant professor at Georgetown University, Washington, D.C, Pioneers in the field of broadband, development of multi-directional fast routing on modern wide transmission bandwidths. Publisher, an academic exegesis of the entire Hebrew Bible. A member of the Hebrew Writers' Association Atai's activity is focused on four main areas: philosophy (three published books to date), poetry (eight published books), publishing, and political and social/civil activism.

Download Essay PDF File

Author Yehuda Atai wrote on Feb. 8, 2017 @ 10:26 GMT
Great! great!

John C Hodge wrote on Feb. 8, 2017 @ 12:43 GMT
How about "I change, therefore I am".

hodge

report post as inappropriate

Author Yehuda Atai replied on Feb. 8, 2017 @ 12:49 GMT
Dear John

only change is not suffice to evolve the self organization. Every existent is under continuous change. The self organization must ratify its existence as explained in the essay.

best

yehuda atai

Joe Fisher replied on Feb. 8, 2017 @ 16:27 GMT
Dear Professor Atai,

Please excuse me for I do not wish to be too critical of your fine essay.

Only nature could produce a reality so simple, a single cell amoeba could deal with it.

One real visible Universe must have only one reality. Simple natural reality has nothing to do with any abstract complex musings about imaginary invisible “Terms: Causality, duality, duration of reality, concreteness, principle of finitude, uniqueness, unity, multiplicity, meaning, relation, possibilities of action, movement, freedom of choice, attributes of movement, quality of movement, generator, generic platform, infogeneric knowledge, thought and self-organization.”

The real Universe must consist only of one unified visible infinite physical surface occurring in one infinite dimension, that am always illuminated by infinite non-surface light.

A more detailed explanation of natural reality can be found in my essay, SCORE ONE FOR SIMPLICITY. I do hope that you will read my essay and comment on its merit.

Joe Fisher, Realist

Author Yehuda Atai replied on Feb. 13, 2017 @ 13:07 GMT
Dear Joe

Thanks for reading my essay.

I can vision a world that exists, real and ONE and with those philosophers that blend theological ideas with ontological human perception. Yes, your essay looks interesting and will read it in later days, not to mention ancient philosophers that perceived nature as One and not in movements and others.

best

yehuda atai

daniel kirshenboim wrote on Feb. 10, 2017 @ 22:28 GMT
Great article! thank you Yehuda.

Author Yehuda Atai replied on Feb. 13, 2017 @ 07:23 GMT
Dear Daniel

Thanks

yehuda atai

Stephen I. Ternyik wrote on Feb. 12, 2017 @ 11:12 GMT
Congrats, a very interesting essay, concerning the WE, YOU and I. Identity formation is a motion product/process of mutual connections and con-firmations; this also can explain enmity and why G-d choose to create the human as being.Space and motion are ethical dimensions to develop the conscious human being by mutual inter-action. Best: stephen i. ternyik

Author Yehuda Atai replied on Feb. 12, 2017 @ 14:13 GMT
Dear Stephen

See my post below.

best

yehuda

Author Yehuda Atai replied on Feb. 13, 2017 @ 19:49 GMT
Dear Stephen

I read your essay and thanks for the observations you made; though I see time not moving from past through the present into the future but as the rate of change between two or more existents. The occurrence of a phenomenon in space is not due to a causale process. Reality is possible and not predetermined or necessary. i.e.causality is a special case in the occurrence of the phenomenon. the essay does not explains the sustainability of the self organization through its continuous change. there are millions of life forms that do not exists in our time and millions new ones that are formed and I don't think we have to bring G_D to their formation., the space full of infinite relation s intrinsically posses the possibilities in the attributes of the movements.

thanks

yehuda atai

Author Yehuda Atai wrote on Feb. 12, 2017 @ 14:09 GMT
Dear Stephen

Since all existents are attribute of movements, there is no need to introduce G-D with the occurrence of phenomena. Life is a manifestation of spectrum of movements as I explained in the essay. The Bergson Duree is a combination of the principle of finiteness (each phenomenon has an end, its finite) and the Freedom of choice (principle of choice). These two principles create the endless Duration of movements while the phenomenon, the self organization, changes. AS such, Ethics is in our hands and our responsibility.

Thanks

best

yehuda

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta wrote on Feb. 13, 2017 @ 09:32 GMT
Dear Yehuda Atai,

Thank you for such nice philosophical essay. Your words … in page 2… “I noticed through my meditations that every phenomenon has an end (finitude). From drinking a cup of coffee to building a house, from a flower to a butterfly, a star and a galaxy, all phenomena have an end. ” Dynamic Universe Model also says all these Galaxies will quench. See my essay please….

Similarly the concluding and starting words…“We are together , therefore I am” is a concept something like UGF, the universal gravitation force in Dynamic Universe Model…

Request you also to please have a look

Best

snp.gupta

Author Yehuda Atai replied on Feb. 13, 2017 @ 20:31 GMT
Dear Snp.Gupta

Thanks for your response. I read your essay and I agree that "Universe

had an ability to reproduce Galaxies." as part of your conclusion . though I don't see time as you do. I see the causality operating as a spacial case in the occurrence of the phenomenon, and we are existences in a present continuous duration. the space is full of relationships with a potential movements. when a self organization chooses a movement (conscious or unconscious) it become a unique and subjective movement bound by the intrinsic and spacial state of the self organization, whether we are a "galaxy" a grain of sand or a human being.

I see space with no beginning or end. It is a space with infinite occurrence of phenomena with an end (finitude) to each of one of them.(and more as it explained in my essay)

All the best

yehuda atai

Steve Dufourny wrote on Feb. 15, 2017 @ 20:20 GMT
Hello Mr Atai,

I liked your general universalism.The uniquity after all is the singularity, and this singularity has created a physicality implying ^multiplicity.The altruism appears in a pure universal love.I asked me but why this infinite entropy above our physicality has created a system of optimisation of matter energy ,body mind soul evolution.Perhaps simply that this infinity, this eternity was alone and has wanted sharing this universal love, we are babies in evolutionb, we create the SPHERE :) We are all part and all equals after all.All linked in this universal boat...Thanks for sharing your thoughts and this general analyse .I am wishing you all the best in this contest.Regards

Author Yehuda Atai replied on Feb. 16, 2017 @ 08:48 GMT
Dear Steve

Thanks for reading my essay and indeed uniquity is indeed singularity of the self organization but it is the only principle of the self organization. As stated in the essay all existents, self organizations, are uniqueness, unity in multiplicity.

Our uniqueness is due to the difference in the qualities of our attribute of movement.

Thanks again

yehuda atai

Author Yehuda Atai replied on Feb. 16, 2017 @ 08:53 GMT
Dear steve

In my post above to you it should be read: "but it is NOT the only principle of the self organization".

thanks

yehuda atai

Steve Dufourny replied on Feb. 16, 2017 @ 11:19 GMT
You are welcome,with pleasure, I am always happy to this universalism, general and the real understanding of what is this infinite entropy above our understanding that we name God.

:) "humanity is like a rainbow, a diversity of colors unified, united in light"

"it is difficult to turn off a big fire with one water drop, nevertheless a whole of drops makes the Ocean."

all linked since the begining and all in tyhe same boat towards eternity ,entropical ....we create the paradise in fact,we are still so youngs, we are still babies Inside this SPHERE in spherisation of matter energy souls by quant and cosm 3D Sphères :) they turn so they are after all ....Take care and all the best Mr Atai

Peter Jackson wrote on Feb. 19, 2017 @ 21:36 GMT
Yehuda,

A very interesting and rather unique essay, nicely written and, for me, with many agreeable philosophical concepts. A few favourite lines;;

..show in a phenomenological approach that "movement", though it is the common denominator of all phenomena in space, does not itself suffice to explain the ratification of concreteness..

.....all tried to define and verify the concrete, but they too stayed within a causal and dualistic perception, yielding an inadequate account of the concrete.

..'memory reservoirs'

..The brain, as the central organ of memory, has the important role of preserving information and updating all its contexts.

..The sources of thought are to be found in various activities of retrieval and recycling information from one of the memory reservoirs, particularly relational information, in accord with circumstances.
"

In particular regarding; "Properties shared by all phenomena; finitude, uniqueness, unity and multiplicity I have written on these matters, in particular identifying a 're-ionization mechanism involving recycling of most all galaxy material, giving a pattern and asymmetries which seem also to match the CMB peculiarities at the biggest scale.

I find your score of 1 impossible to rationalise and quite ridiculous, but there are trolls around as I had two 1's myself early on! A proper score now coming to yours. I do hope you'll read, appreciate and score my quite ambitious offering too.

Best of luck.

Peter

Author Yehuda Atai wrote on Feb. 20, 2017 @ 06:11 GMT
Dear Peter

Thanks for your comments and reading my essay.

I will gladly read your essay and hope for wide exposure for our articles.

Thanks again

yehuda atai

Abdullah Naeem Malik wrote on Mar. 3, 2017 @ 21:44 GMT
The abstract looks interesting. Will read on but I have one question before I do. Are the ontological details really necessary? Can't we do simply with mass-energy? Second, since we know that there are situations in which cause and effect can provably be reversed in the temporal sense, how does your idea of movement and other characteristics address this pathology?

Author Yehuda Atai replied on Mar. 4, 2017 @ 16:20 GMT
Dear Abdullah

reality is ontological and we are continuously ratifying it.

Causality is a special case in the evolvement of phenomena.

you are welcome to read my essay.

thanks

yehuda atai

Koorosh Shahdaei wrote on Mar. 5, 2017 @ 21:51 GMT
Dear Professor Atai,

Very good and attention grabbing essay, I was enjoying reading your essay, this forum is just about new and different ideas that everybody on this planet could access.

Kind regards

Koorosh

Author Yehuda Atai wrote on Mar. 6, 2017 @ 07:10 GMT
Dear Koorosh

Thank you for reading my essay. Yes, it is a good platform to exhibit our thoughts to the world.

Have a great week

yehuda atai

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta wrote on Mar. 6, 2017 @ 07:44 GMT
Dear Prof. Yehuda Atai,

Thank you for your post on my essay....

In my opinion, Time has one directional movement as in practice we never see time going “BACKWORDS”. We don’t see any thing previous except in our memories, history or records… why should we introduce things like going into time in backwards direction? As per space is concern in can be infinite, no...

view entire post

Author Yehuda Atai replied on Mar. 11, 2017 @ 12:47 GMT
Dear Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta

Thanks for your comment here and indeed your perception is interesting.

Though I have a disagreement with your statement:"No imaginary or negative time axis". First the ability to imagine is at least the ability to calculate. Even a single movement is calculating its State as a phenomenon. Second, Time is not a direction. Time is the differential change between at least two ontological "existents. Time is the rate of change.

Yet I hope you get large exposure of your essay.

have a nice weekend

yehuda atai

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta replied on Mar. 19, 2017 @ 10:25 GMT
Dear Atai,

Time goes into one way only. it increases into future. it is not a vector, calculations of imaginary time will take us nowhare, but confusion only...

best Regards

=snp

Author Yehuda Atai replied on Mar. 19, 2017 @ 10:46 GMT
Dear SNP Gupta

It seems you did not understand or read my essay.

Time is a Human perception of reality and it does not exists in reality. We slice the event to measure it. We assumes time, because the changes between day and night etc' and the way we perceive reality with Causality and Duality principles, which gives us order and control. Causality and Duality are special cases in the occurrence of phenomena.

All the best

yehuda

Klee Irwin wrote on Mar. 17, 2017 @ 20:17 GMT
Hi Yehuda,

I found your essay very interesting! I would be interested in knowing your thoughts on my essay The Code-Theoretic Axiom as well as a rating...

I also wonder about any input on our new movie 'What Is Reality' which can be found on the Quantum Gravity Research youtube channel.

Warm Regards,

Klee Irwin

Author Yehuda Atai wrote on Mar. 18, 2017 @ 20:41 GMT
Hi Klee Irwin

Thanks for reading my essay and found it interesting. Yes, in my perception of reality , it is all in the attributes of a movement. the quality of our attributes are those that singular us as subjective and unique.

I will read your essay and see you YouTube "what is reality" and comment at your essay on them. looking forward and a greater exposure for all of us.

Thanks again

yehuda

Edwin Eugene Klingman wrote on Mar. 22, 2017 @ 02:42 GMT
Yuda,

What a magnificent essay you wrote. You certainly capture "I and Thou". You could leave off the 20 attributes of the schema; your insightful poetry is enough. The consciousness field is intended as the seamless seal of our shared concreteness. It is sensitive to momentum density, which is to say intensity of motion, and it spans the universe, but nowhere more spontaneously and more at home than here on earth.

I profoundly enjoyed your essay.

Edwin Eugene Klingman

Author Yehuda Atai replied on Mar. 22, 2017 @ 07:23 GMT
Edwin,

Thanks for your response and your profound enjoyment of the essay.

The idea of unique consciousness field for each human resemble the idea of a unique "soul" out of a general ancient soul in Kabbalah (just a thought).

Your essay indeed a challenging one.

Hope we get large visibility and readers.

yehuda atai

James Lee Hoover wrote on Mar. 22, 2017 @ 21:57 GMT
Yehuda,

Quite interesting essay, a different idea on ontology. Showing the movement from within the atom and how the concreteness of being relate to physical force, and movement, but even beyond momentum, vector, M/E, and time there are attributes going to aims.

"I move, therefore I am" seems a new paradigm. Even moreso, "we are together, therefore I am"

I assume you did not rate my essay. Often trolls strike when others comments and I've had countless trolls.

Regards,

Jim Hoover

Branko L Zivlak wrote on Mar. 23, 2017 @ 13:59 GMT
Dear Mr. Atai

Thanks for the proton. Now I'm sure.

If the two protons are identical, then it is also be identical their surroundings.

Surroundings are not identical. So, two protons are not identical. Why ? Becouse, in the formula (17) are two transcendental mathematical constants. Thus, all our equations are approximations. Sometimes with immense accuracy, but they are not identity.

Best regards,

Branko

Author Yehuda Atai replied on Mar. 23, 2017 @ 15:21 GMT
Dear Branko,

Yes, they are NOT identical otherwise as you said:"If the two protons are identical, then it is also be identical their surroundings" which is impossible to be. Proton B cant be in the exact and identical position in space as proton A.

Thanks, best

yehuda

Member Tommaso Bolognesi wrote on Mar. 27, 2017 @ 13:33 GMT
Dear Yuda,

some initial parts of your essay appeared to me as vaguely reminiscent, in style and spirit, of the work of Teilhard De Chardin (‘The Human Phenomenon’), except that you seem to develop an even more complex picture, and to cover a more restricted field — Teilhard addresses the whole cosmos in its origin and fate.

As a consequence, I had a reaction somewhat similar to the one I felt when reading his work: my impression is that these pictures would greatly benefit from some formalisation, one that could lend itself to some form of verification. Ideally, mathematics. Otherwise, under what type of label would you prefer your visions to be classified? Too much specific and articulated to be pure philosophy, I believe. And, although you mention particles a few times, you seem to focus mostly on sentient ‘existents’. Cognitive psychology? Even in this case, your work would benefit from a more direct connection with, and technical treatment of the phenomena observed in that field.

A specific point: you put the possibility of choice at the very root of reality. This appears in contrast with the microscopic determinism of physical law, albeit possibly full of implications for the central theme of the Contest. I would have expected some explicit comments on this contrast, and on the (predominant?) role played by this ‘choice’ in your global picture.

Best regards

Tommaso

Author Yehuda Atai replied on Mar. 27, 2017 @ 17:28 GMT
Hi Tommaso

I am glad to remind you some ideas of Teilhard De Chardin which I don't know him well @ deeply. It seems, that he was both Dualist - body vs spirit and held to the principle of Causation, and the Cartesian belief in the total existence of perfect God.

I am a philosopher that relate more to phenomenology of consciousness; Building a philosophical "floor" on the works of...

view entire post

Alexey/Lev Burov wrote on Mar. 29, 2017 @ 00:57 GMT
Dear Yehuda,

Your essay is humane and poetic, with some elegiac taste, sometimes reminding me the book of Kohelet. Thanks. Of course, matching that sort of vision with the mathematical laws, plus being limited by 25Kch, is not an easy job. Well, I am just curious, how the “unreasonable effectiveness of mathematics” in physics (Wigner) could be matched with your picture? Are the two compatible at all?

Your questions and additional comments to our essay would be highly appreciated.

All the best,

Alexey Burov.

sussan betcher wrote on Apr. 21, 2017 @ 10:50 GMT
I am looking forward to the next month essay competition happening at our school. This is an interschool campaign and it is very important w should be won the prize for the essay competition. I am glad to find your site and get many relevant topics and description which help us prepare for the essay competition.

Please check out the internet providers near me.

alena lis wrote on Aug. 19, 2017 @ 11:55 GMT
This is really good information I have visited this blog to read something fresh and I really admire you efforts in doing so.

Author Yehuda Atai replied on Aug. 19, 2017 @ 13:53 GMT
Thanks Alena

hellen jos wrote on Aug. 25, 2017 @ 11:49 GMT
Here you shared an essay abstract and I like this abstract. I want to read the full essay. It would be better if you share the full essay on the site so that I can read this and can learn the methods of essay writing well. shot glasses

Author Yehuda Atai replied on Aug. 25, 2017 @ 13:28 GMT
Dear hellen

Thanks. You can simply download Essay PDF File up above.

Have a nice weekend

yehuda

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.