Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Current Essay Contest

Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fnd.

Previous Contests

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fnd.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Rodney Bartlett: on 6/10/17 at 5:44am UTC, wrote In my essay,I outline a very basic (though grounded in science) proposal...

Rodney Bartlett: on 6/10/17 at 5:08am UTC, wrote Stephen Hawking wrote in "A Brief History of Time" (p. 168) that "If a...

Rodney Bartlett: on 3/25/17 at 4:39am UTC, wrote This month has been an incredible drain on my time. I never have time to...

Satyavarapu Gupta: on 3/18/17 at 10:10am UTC, wrote Thank you RB for a nice explanation... by the way... I want you to ask...

Dizhechko Semyonovich: on 3/13/17 at 15:13pm UTC, wrote Dear Rodney Bartlett! I appreciate your essay. You spent a lot of effort...

Rodney Bartlett: on 3/8/17 at 8:56am UTC, wrote The best way to give "aims and intention" to "mindless mathematics" is the...

Rodney Bartlett: on 2/26/17 at 9:07am UTC, wrote The following post - "Ghosts of Future Science" - is not inappropriate...

Rodney Bartlett: on 2/21/17 at 8:32am UTC, wrote Your scenario is superbly thought out, Peter. It reveals a mind far above...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

thuy lien: "9 THINGS WE WERE SEEN FROM RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2 TRAILER ROCKSTAR HAVE US..." in Collapsing Physics: Q&A...

Anthony Aguirre: "Our mission at FQXi has always been to push boundaries, and to try to focus..." in FQXi's New Large Grant...

John Cox: "Victor, I have reread your post and still find agreement. Realism vs...." in What Is...

Victor Usack: "RE John R Cox. You are quite right. Without the math we’ve got..." in What Is...

Anonymous: "hello Bob" in The Complexity Conundrum

shery williams: "Office Setup is the full suite of Microsoft productivity software that..." in Are We Merging With Our...

thuy lien: "The faction in Bannerlord: Battania King: ‘Caladog’ -partially..." in Collapsing Physics: Q&A...

thuy lien: "Good article, thanks for sharing. hell let loose metal gear survive far..." in Blurring Causal Lines

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

The Complexity Conundrum
Resolving the black hole firewall paradox—by calculating what a real astronaut would compute at the black hole's edge.

Quantum Dream Time
Defining a ‘quantum clock’ and a 'quantum ruler' could help those attempting to unify physics—and solve the mystery of vanishing time.

Our Place in the Multiverse
Calculating the odds that intelligent observers arise in parallel universes—and working out what they might see.

Sounding the Drums to Listen for Gravity’s Effect on Quantum Phenomena
A bench-top experiment could test the notion that gravity breaks delicate quantum superpositions.

Watching the Observers
Accounting for quantum fuzziness could help us measure space and time—and the cosmos—more accurately.

FQXi FORUM
December 16, 2017

CATEGORY: Wandering Towards a Goal Essay Contest (2016-2017) [back]
TOPIC: Creating (Recycling) the Universe from Mathematics To Give It Aims and Intention by Rodney Bartlett [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Rodney Bartlett wrote on Jan. 18, 2017 @ 22:05 GMT
Essay Abstract

Throughout this article, I refer to the cosmos as a whole (which is potentially infinite and eternal) when I use the word "universe" - not merely to the observable universe. True to the nonlinear nature of time (it's arranged in Einstein's warps and curves), electromagnetism may possibly be a product of gravity and also, gravity might possibly be a product of electromagnetism. Fermi (Space Telescope) detected a burst of gamma rays just 0.4 seconds after the first detection of gravitational waves on September 14, 2015 - from the same general area of the sky. Confirmation is not conclusive because the European INTEGRAL gamma-ray satellite did not receive the signal. However, the possibility remains that gravity can produce electromagnetism (if it turns out that gravity makes electromagnetism, the microwave background alleged to be left over from the Big Bang could be of gravitational origin). Gravity could be a product of electromagnetism – in the form of electronic pulses of energy from computers connected to sources of electrical power, with the pulses manifesting as virtual gravitons, the quanta of gravity (more details in CREATION (RECYCLING) OF THE UNIVERSE ACHIEVED ELECTRONICALLY). This provides a possible, electronic method of explaining how this could be a synthetic universe full of binary digits, Mobius strips, figure-8 Klein bottles, and universal Artificial Intelligence on astronomical, subatomic and biological levels. Please read the following, remembering it was reported that "the physicist and writer Paul Davies thinks the universe is indeed fine-tuned for minds like ours. And who fine-tuned it? Not God but minds from the future, perhaps even our distant descendants, that have reached back through time … and selected the very laws of physics that allow for the existence of minds in the first place. Sounds bizarre, but quantum physics actually allows that kind of thing."

Author Bio

I wandered around Australia, towards a place called Charles Darwin University. Then I became curious about cosmology, physics, mathematics, computer science, biology ... I concluded evolution is limited. The evolution proposed by Charles Darwin is indeed wonderful, and the Theory of Evolution certainly explains adaptations and modifications in large forms of life. However, it seems that explaining origins with that theory is an unwarranted leap of faith. So developing these ideas for "electronic origins" (of the universe as well as life) became necessary. The word creation implies an arrow-of-time ... I prefer the term recycling.

Download Essay PDF File

Francis Duane Moore wrote on Jan. 19, 2017 @ 18:43 GMT
I enjoyed the review of ideas given in references. The author submitted a nice compilation of existing ideas and hypotheses

report post as inappropriate

Joe Fisher wrote on Jan. 20, 2017 @ 16:59 GMT
Dear Rodney Bartlett,

The real Universe am not a computer simulation.

One real visible Universe must have only one reality. Simple natural reality has nothing to do with any abstract complex musings such as the ones you effortlessly indulge in. As I have thoughtfully pointed out in my brilliant essay, SCORE ONE FOR SIMPLICITY, the real Universe consists only of one unified visible infinite surface occurring in one infinite dimension, that am always illuminated by infinite non-surface light. Reality am not as complicated as theories of reality are.

Joe Fisher, Realist

Branko L Zivlak wrote on Jan. 28, 2017 @ 10:28 GMT
Dear Mr. Bartlett,

It is not clear what you mean when you talk about the infinite universe. When we say the universe is infinite, most people understand as: Space is infinite. But this is not true. We know the spatial dimensions of the universe.

To be precise: At one point of time the universe is spatially finite. Do you agree?

I cited Ruđer Bošković “Now, although I do not hold with infinite divisibility, yet I do admit infinite componibility“.

Therefore I say: mass and space of the universe and any other phenomenon is finite but the number of their combination is infinite and Universe is eternal. Do you agree?

What do you really mean when you say: I refer to the cosmos as a whole (which is potentially infinite and eternal).

Best Regards,

Branko Zivlak

Harry Hamlin Ricker III wrote on Jan. 31, 2017 @ 15:09 GMT
Hi, This essay doesn't seem to address the topic of the essay contest. It rambles and doesn't have a clear objective, focus or conclusion. I couldn't make sense out of the point in writing it.

Author Rodney Bartlett replied on Feb. 1, 2017 @ 12:03 GMT
Hi, my essay addresses the subtitle of the contest - "How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?" To relate my essay to the recent science paper "From Planck Data to Planck Era: Observational Tests of Holographic Cosmology" by Niayesh Afshordi, Claudio Corianò, Luigi Delle Rose, Elizabeth Gould, and Kostas Skenderis: Phys. Rev. Lett. 118, 041301 (2017) - Published 27...

view entire post

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta wrote on Feb. 4, 2017 @ 01:47 GMT
In line with Bigbang theory you are proposing a closed universe like a mobius strip where space is curved and closed on itself. So time travel and Immortality are automatic possibilities. In your own words…’Following the example of matter, energy like a sunbeam or gravity wave has now a) been divided into their quanta (supposedly smallest units) of the photon and still hypothetical gravitation. And proposed a nice new idea of virtual photons and further new subdivided into electronics of Bits of 1s and 0s.'

In abstract, the sentence ' the microwave background alleged to be left over from the Big Bang could be of gravitational origin' is not correct, as they have not accounted for the microwave radiation emitted from Galaxies, Globular clusters and stars etc… see the essay on CMB in previous FQXi...

http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/1607

Author Rodney Bartlett wrote on Feb. 18, 2017 @ 07:45 GMT
People don't seem to understand what my essay's about. Maybe I'm not good at expressing my ideas in a long essay. I'll try putting them in a summary -

Hi, my essay addresses the subtitle of the contest - "How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?" To relate my essay to the recent science paper "From Planck Data to Planck Era: Observational Tests of Holographic...

view entire post

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta replied on Mar. 18, 2017 @ 10:10 GMT
Thank you RB for a nice explanation...

by the way...

I want you to ask you to please have a look at my essay, where ……………reproduction of Galaxies in the Universe is described. Dynamic Universe Model is another mathematical model for Universe. Its mathematics show that the movement of masses will be having a purpose or goal, Different Galaxies will be born and die (quench)...

view entire post

Peter Jackson wrote on Feb. 19, 2017 @ 21:13 GMT
Rodney,

I think your essay is good, pertinent, and addresses some important fundamental physics. Your '1' score is an insult and unwarranted. Rest assured it's about to rocket! (I know what getting 1's is like; after starting shooting to the top with a 10 I instantly got two anonymous 1's!

Of course it helps that I agree with virtually everything you wrote! I don't think our universe if 'Holographic' but it's certainly Holistic, and I think reviewing what holigraphy is allows many similarities to be drawn.

I also agree (and identify in my essay) the importance of surface electrons.

On redshift, again I agree and have produced a video demonstrating mechanistically how increased wavelength with distance from emitter emerges naturally on the expanding 'Schrodinger sphere' surface (link by request).

All that and more comes from the identification of something unbelievably simple we've missed in our physical understanding of the universe - (again which my essay demonstrates along with the consequences) I think you'll understand and like mine as we seem much on the same wavelength. I'll also value your comments.

Well done and thanks for an interesting read.

Peter

Author Rodney Bartlett replied on Feb. 20, 2017 @ 06:48 GMT
Many thanks for the praise you gave my essay, Peter. I knew my essay addressed what you call "some important fundamental physics". But because it was getting very little attention, I had almost decided that reading my own page anymore was pointless. And I twice seriously considered unsubscribing from receiving any comments. Everything feels right with the world now, though.

You...

view entire post

Peter Jackson replied on Feb. 20, 2017 @ 10:53 GMT
Rodney

Brilliant! Well done. And thanks. But something has stopped universal adoption, and I now think I know what and why.

For me it was Feynman's 'wave going backwards in time' that seemed to need the simpler explanation a barmaid could understand. The TQIM extends Feynman somewhat but the 'reverse time' remains standing out like a sore thumb. If you think about my essay the simple explanation is exactly what I've identified; The second 'phase' (the offset cos^2 curve) is that 2nd 'hidden' momentum in OAM, in Maxwell equations but not identified in QM!! It just takes a little thought for that to dawn.

The Mach-Zender 2 path splitter experiment is then unbelievably simple. Reflecting 90^o simply ROTATES THE POLAR AXIS 90^o so the "2ND MOMENTUM" then interacts, which gives the orthogonal 'out of phase' cosine curve of QM's offset 'probability amplitudes'.

All the confusion and counter intuitive concepts are cleared away. Simply measure the TWO momenta distributed on the surface of a spinning sphere!!!!

I hope you may be one of very few immediately able to see the simplicity and profound implications.?

Best

Peter (Copied from post on mine)

Author Rodney Bartlett replied on Feb. 21, 2017 @ 08:32 GMT
Your scenario is superbly thought out, Peter. It reveals a mind far above average! However, even people who are on much the same wavelength will disagree about details on occasion. That makes for good, intelligent discussion – which is one of FQXI's goals.

I think your video's explanation of quantum mechanics is a bit too complicated (at least for me). It's simpler for me to...

view entire post

Author Rodney Bartlett wrote on Feb. 26, 2017 @ 09:07 GMT
The following post - "Ghosts of Future Science" - is not inappropriate because it refers directly to my essay, whose ideas are critical to the thoughts below.

Ghosts of Future Science

This is my response to "Ghosts definitely don't exist because otherwise the Large Hadron Collider would have found them, claims Brian Cox (independent.co.uk)"

Professor Cox,

“There are...

view entire post

Author Rodney Bartlett wrote on Mar. 8, 2017 @ 08:56 GMT
The best way to give "aims and intention" to "mindless mathematics" is the qubit of quantum computers. (This post is copied from my webpages at ABC Open and the preprint site vixra.org)

Questions to Professor Brian Cox arising from his TV program "Life of a Universe" -

How could the universe be infinite and eternal? Is the cosmos made of electronics' binary digits that combine and...

view entire post

Dizhechko Boris Semyonovich wrote on Mar. 13, 2017 @ 15:13 GMT
Dear Rodney Bartlett!

I appreciate your essay. You spent a lot of effort to write it.

If you believed in the principle of identity of space and matter of Descartes, then your essay would be even better. There is not movable a geometric space, and is movable physical space. These are different concepts.

I invite you to familiarize yourself with New Cartesian Physic

I wish to see your criticism on the New Cartesian Physic, the founder of which I call myself.

The concept of moving space-matter helped me: The uncertainty principle Heisenberg to make the principle of definiteness of points of space-matter; Open the law of the constancy of the flow of forces through a closed surface is the sphere of space-matter; Open the law of universal attraction of Lorentz; Give the formula for the pressure of the Universe; To give a definition of gravitational mass as the flow vector of the centrifugal acceleration across the surface of the corpuscles, etc.

New Cartesian Physic has great potential in understanding the world. To show this potential in essay I risked give «The way of The materialist explanation of the paranormal and the supernatural” - Is the name of my essay.

Visit my essay and you will find something in it about New Cartesian Physic. Note my statement that our brain creates an image of the outside world no inside, and in external space.

Do not let New Cartesian Physic get away into obscurity! I am waiting your post.

Sincerely,

Dizhechko Boris

Author Rodney Bartlett wrote on Mar. 25, 2017 @ 04:39 GMT
This month has been an incredible drain on my time. I never have time to reply to the people who have written to me. I have a few minutes now to post this reply to the second person who sent me a response, and I'll work my way down my page as time permits. Hopefully, I'll be able to reply to every unanswered message before the contest ends.

Hi Joe, I can certainly understand why...

view entire post

Author Rodney Bartlett wrote on Jun. 10, 2017 @ 05:08 GMT
Stephen Hawking wrote in "A Brief History of Time" (p. 168) that "If a complete unified theory was discovered, it would only be a matter of time before it was digested and simplified ... and taught in schools, at least in outline. We should then all be able to have some understanding of the laws that govern the universe and are responsible for our existence."

A complete unified theory would...

view entire post

Author Rodney Bartlett wrote on Jun. 10, 2017 @ 05:44 GMT
In my essay,I outline a very basic (though grounded in science) proposal for human creation of the universe. Such a proposal may seem laughable, outrageous and pure fantasy to many. But if you stay on Earth for an unknown number of centuries, a descendant of CERN (the European Center for Nuclear Research) may force you to eat your words.

Would the universe we live in then not only be...

view entire post

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.