Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Current Essay Contest

Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fnd.

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discuss

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fnd.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Stephen Ternyik: on 4/4/17 at 7:08am UTC, wrote Many thanks for your feedback, Jim ! I like the FQXI contest for one...

James Hoover: on 4/4/17 at 5:37am UTC, wrote Stephen, Time grows short, so I am reviewing those I've read to see if I...

James Hoover: on 4/3/17 at 23:36pm UTC, wrote Stephen, A simple economics textbook, which I have used at one time,...

Satyavarapu Gupta: on 3/18/17 at 10:01am UTC, wrote Dear SD I want you to ask you to please have a look at my essay, where...

Dizhechko Semyonovich: on 3/14/17 at 12:55pm UTC, wrote Steven, I forgot to rate your essay, now do it. I wish you success!...

Stephen Ternyik: on 3/14/17 at 9:40am UTC, wrote Boris, please find my reader response at your site. Best: stephen

Dizhechko Semyonovich: on 3/14/17 at 1:05am UTC, wrote Stephen I. Ternyik! I appreciate your essay. You spent a lot of effort to...

Stephen Ternyik: on 3/4/17 at 9:07am UTC, wrote Many thanks, George! Please find my reader response for your essay at your...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

thuy lien: "The faction in Bannerlord: Battania King: ‘Caladog’ -partially..." in Collapsing Physics: Q&A...

thuy lien: "Good article, thanks for sharing. hell let loose metal gear survive far..." in Blurring Causal Lines

Boyd Bunton: "Nice share! I am no able ti skip this moment without appreciating you...." in Podcast Up: Interacting...

Greg Fantle: "Brush your hair! You look like a homeless person." in The Complexity Conundrum

kurt stocklmeir: "shape of time and space around mass vibrates - some times the shape of time..." in Alternative Models of...

Gary Simpson: "Still waiting for essays to be posted. There are only 5 weeks or so left..." in What Is...

Boyd Bunton: "Its absolutely very helpful put up about the subject. All readers can be..." in Podcast Up: Interacting...

Georgina Woodward: "John, I reported your post as inappropriate as it is mostly irrelevant to..." in What Is...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

The Complexity Conundrum
Resolving the black hole firewall paradox—by calculating what a real astronaut would compute at the black hole's edge.

Quantum Dream Time
Defining a ‘quantum clock’ and a 'quantum ruler' could help those attempting to unify physics—and solve the mystery of vanishing time.

Our Place in the Multiverse
Calculating the odds that intelligent observers arise in parallel universes—and working out what they might see.

Sounding the Drums to Listen for Gravity’s Effect on Quantum Phenomena
A bench-top experiment could test the notion that gravity breaks delicate quantum superpositions.

Watching the Observers
Accounting for quantum fuzziness could help us measure space and time—and the cosmos—more accurately.

FQXi FORUM
December 15, 2017

CATEGORY: Wandering Towards a Goal Essay Contest (2016-2017) [back]
TOPIC: Ma-thematical Logic, Temporal Knowledge and the Arrow of Causation by Stephen I. Ternyik [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Stephen I. Ternyik wrote on Jan. 18, 2017 @ 21:54 GMT
Essay Abstract

The author 'reveals' his wandering towards a research goal in life and science by setting a methodical aim and intention in applied social science, mainly via identifying the hidden (undiscovered) agenda in the socio-economic mal-distribution of human living chances in our (finite) physical and ethical universe of planet earth.

Author Bio

Stephen I. Ternyik (Magister Artium Technologiae) is a self-employed economic researcher & entrepreneur, with more than 30 years of professional experience in management, investment, capital formation and monetary tools; his main scientific interest is creative writing and the design of learning events.

Download Essay PDF File

Anonymous wrote on Jan. 20, 2017 @ 16:24 GMT
Dear Researcher Ternyik,

As you will find out if you read my essay, Einstein was utterly wrong when he stupidly stated that “reality was an illusion, albeit a persistent one.”

One real visible Universe must have only one reality. Simple natural reality has nothing to do with any abstract complex musings such as the ones you effortlessly indulge in. As I have thoughtfully pointed out in my brilliant essay, SCORE ONE FOR SIMPLICITY, the real Universe consists only of one unified visible infinite surface occurring in one infinite dimension, that am always illuminated by infinite non-surface light. Reality am not as complicated as theories of reality are.

Joe Fisher, Realist

report post as inappropriate

Joe Fisher replied on Jan. 20, 2017 @ 16:27 GMT
I AM NOT ANONYMOUS> THE INEPT FQXi.org site has again logged me out for no reason.

I am Joe Fisher, Realist

Author Stephen I. Ternyik replied on Jan. 20, 2017 @ 19:17 GMT
Dear Joe Fisher ! Your essay already found my reading interest and it is among the FQXI contributions that I study with more attention, i,e. most so-called experimental claims on natural reality or real nature are indeed pure academic artifacts. Empirical evidence (e.g. progress in surgery) and hypothetical constructs (e.g. human consciousness) belong to the realm of real human life. So, my point is to make a difference between maths as applied to real problems of human life and maths as an esotheric activity. Concerning simplicity, I do think that we should try to use as simple approaches as possible to solve the mystery of nature, but complexity can only be reduced by complexity, i.e. think complex, try to say it simple (and friendly). Nature is reality (not the laboratory) and I do understand that you find your way of enlightenment by the ininite light from non-surface inspirations of real nature. Best: Stephen I. Ternyik

Stefan Weckbach wrote on Jan. 24, 2017 @ 10:38 GMT
Dear Stephen, i am glad that someone has the courage to mention the hidden/undiscovered agenda in the socio-economic mal-distribution as it gravitates towards its own collapse (and/or towards war). I also read Erich Fromm decades ago and agree with him more than ever.

Author Stephen I. Ternyik wrote on Jan. 24, 2017 @ 15:19 GMT
Great to hear back from you, dear Stefan Weckbach ! Many contemporaries are also trying to attack this human systems problem of thermo-economics; Erich Fromm pointed towards the right direction, concerning systems evolution and reform. The physics of human intention and consciousness is a future research field of science where the moral (ethical) dimension (meaning) of space and time will be clarified and corrected by applied methodical logic.

Anonymous replied on Jan. 27, 2017 @ 00:43 GMT
Dear Stephen,

First off, let me say that among the great thoughts that characterized Einstein's vision of the physics of nature, don't know why you chose this most unfortunate one to illustrate your writing. Einstein certainly did not think that as part of reality he was an illusion himself.

Past this little hurdle, I highly praise your essay. Your attempt to put under the same formal tent social dynamics, human economics, cognition and human teleology is quite commendable, not withstanding the scant underlying math.

Your suspicion about the hidden analytic depths of the Gaussian distribution is quite justified, and I invite you to take a look at my essay for further explanation.

Although at times there is a lack of clarity in your vision as expressed, I believe your framework of thoughts about the human endeavour as a whole is quite assertive. You sure are a notable thinker!

Good luck in this contest.

Joseph

Jean-Claude

Joseph J. Jean-Claude wrote on Jan. 27, 2017 @ 00:46 GMT
Dear Stephen,

First off, let me say that among the great thoughts that characterized Einstein's vision of the physics of nature, don't know why you chose this most unfortunate one to illustrate your writing. Einstein certainly did not think that as part of reality he was an illusion himself.

Past this little hurdle, I highly praise your essay. Your attempt to put under the same formal tent social dynamics, human economics, cognition and human teleology is quite commendable, not withstanding the scant underlying math.

Your suspicion about the hidden analytic depths of the Gaussian distribution is quite justified, and I invite you to take a look at my essay for further explanation.

Although at times there is a lack of clarity in your vision as expressed, I believe your framework of thoughts about the human endeavour as a whole is quite assertive. You sure are a notable thinker!

Good luck in this contest.

Joseph

Jean-Claude

Author Stephen I. Ternyik replied on Jan. 27, 2017 @ 10:32 GMT
Dear Joseph ! Your essay contains impressive research , I will study your scientific approach of cognitive physics and give my reader response. My main interest are the construction principles of social (human) reality, i.e. I do not subscribbe to the public relations teaching that reality is no-thing and perception is every-thing. The Einsteinian proverb is surely a provocation, concerning any human effort to cope with 'reality' and to develop a unified (cognitive) systems theory of human life (living). Personally, I do believe, that such a universal blueprint of reality exists and is attainable by the application of scientifc creativity, i.e. religion, philosophy and science have a humanistic commonality, with the scientific method being the most reliable tool of human communication. Best: stephen

Joseph J. Jean-Claude wrote on Jan. 27, 2017 @ 13:02 GMT
Dear Steve,

The discussed Einstein quote does not make much sense in the context of physical science. But it does in the context of the human sciences, in particular religion and philosophy. In that sense it is to be related to traditional Eastern philosophy, specifically buddhism and lamaism, which assert that our passage on earth with all its tribulations is a kharmic journey with no other purpose than purifying the soul.

As a Jew and with the personal education that he had about Eastern religions, one is left to wonder if part of that had inspired his observation.

You write however: I do not subscribe to the public relations teaching that reality is no-thing and perception is every-thing. Could not agree more.

Best.

Joseph

Author Stephen I. Ternyik replied on Jan. 27, 2017 @ 15:14 GMT
Dear Joseph ! My understanding of the quote is that it was meant to be a provocation, not more. I have studied the family history and biography of Einstein and would evaluate the mindset as secular Jewish humanism or Judaism as a civilization; this cognitive approach to reality is definitely the opposite to Buddhism. I have already detected some important points in your essay and will respond on your site in some days.I do agree to your conclusion that the quote has to be understood in the context of human science and not physical science; I am working at the intersection of these two sets of scientific knowledge, i.e. applied social science. Best: stephen

Steve Dufourny replied on Jan. 31, 2017 @ 17:04 GMT
Hello to both of you,

I beleive that Einstein indeed was a fervent thinker in God.The faith in this infinite entropy above our understanding.He was jew and the faith is improtant for jews.I am not jew but I consider God the chief orchestra of all things.The universal love after all is the only one truth in a pure altruism and universalism.Humanity and lifes are like a rainbow ,a diversity...

view entire post

Steve Dufourny replied on Jan. 31, 2017 @ 18:35 GMT
The real meanings of informations of evolution by sortings, synchros,and superimposings take all their meanings.If we consider this gravitational aether instead of a luminifierous einsteinian aether,we see that informations are not only photonic but are in fact gravitational,that is why I beleive even that a photon in fact is a spheron coded,see that this gravitation balances this thermo heat and electromagntic forces of our sstandard model.Like if this zero absolute correlated with this gravitation permitted to photons to be what they must become.The informations so become complex and if we correlate with binar informations,that could converge if the quantum computing converges with the rotating 3D spherical volumes....The motions and mechanics are purely newtonian.That is why I beleive that modified newtonian mechanics MOND and this and that trying to explain this problem of rotations of galaxies without dark matter is a big error forgetting this zero absolute.I prefer the logic of Zwicky inserting this matter not baryonic for dark matter.A big puzzle in all case.

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta wrote on Feb. 12, 2017 @ 22:45 GMT
You wrote an excellent essay for this intellectual beauty contest. Best wishes to you…

Your essay went into economics and Physics and biology…

I request you also have look at my essay on Dynamic Universe model and give your esteemed opinion….

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta replied on Mar. 18, 2017 @ 10:01 GMT
Dear SD

I want you to ask you to please have a look at my essay, where ……………reproduction of Galaxies in the Universe is described. Dynamic Universe Model is another mathematical model for Universe. Its mathematics show that the movement of masses will be having a purpose or goal, Different Galaxies will be born and die (quench) etc…just have a look at the essay… “Distances,...

view entire post

Yehuda Atai wrote on Feb. 14, 2017 @ 12:07 GMT
Dear Stephen

I read your essay and thanks for the observations you made; though I see time not moving from past through the present into the future but as the rate of change between two or more existents. The occurrence of a phenomenon in space is not due to a causale process. Reality is possible and not predetermined or necessary. i.e.causality is a special case in the occurrence of the phenomenon. the essay does not explains the sustainability of the self organization through its continuous change. there are millions of life forms that do not exists in our time and millions new ones that are formed and I don't think we have to bring G_D to their formation., the space full of infinite relations intrinsically posses the possibilities in the attributes of the movements.

thanks

yehuda atai

Author Stephen I. Ternyik replied on Feb. 14, 2017 @ 12:45 GMT
Dear Yehuda ! Many thanks for your profound comments.I am in agreement with your statement that time is a human convention to distinguish the change of existents.The sustainability of self-organization by perpetual change, i.e. the interplay of matter and energy or space and motion, is due to dynamic efficiency or the optimization of a living systems energy transduction. If these events follow a random pattern or the workings of a creative upper force is indeed undecided. I am trying to bridge human (economic) systems and physical (natural) laws, in terms of cosmic principles. In the next 20 years, exponential knowledge automation will be an exciting field to study the organization principles of autopoeitic systems sustainability. Best wishes: stephen

Peter Jackson wrote on Feb. 20, 2017 @ 20:45 GMT
Stephen,

Great to read such an original and unique essay and viewpoint, well written too. It also helped that I agreed most you wrote, though that isn't supposed to be a scoring criteria! Very refreshing and worth a higher score that it has. I also don't think brevity is an encumbance when the content is well packaged and valuable.

I hope you may read, follow and comment on my own.

Best of luck in the contest.

Peter

Author Stephen I. Ternyik replied on Feb. 21, 2017 @ 11:11 GMT
Many thanks for your observations, Peter. My research is indeed not prosaic, but guided by poetic consciousness that tries to get into the probability jackpot of human living chances. Best: stephen

Peter Jackson replied on Feb. 25, 2017 @ 10:25 GMT
Stephen,

Thanks for your comments on mine.

I think a cornerstone of our agreement is the priority of mindful understanding over mindless computation. I quoted John Wheelers full statement "always work out and know the answer before you do the maths". Your equivalent was;

"the Gaussian dictum to 1st understand (learn) the underlying mathematical idea and to 2nd train (do) the formal application is a prerequisite of all creative methodical discovery in life and science.

Seemingly you didn't connect with the classical derivation of QM in mine. I'd estimated empirically that less than 15% would, as few really understand QM and its roots, and most that do are then fully indoctrinated with it; that is it's patterns are embedded in their neural networks so anything inconsistent' is rejected a priori.(so proving the 2nd hypothesis which you agreed).

Seems I may also have been correct estimating less than 5%! Much work needed.

But thank you for yours, and reading/ commenting on mine. I feel your own total deserves to be higher so I shall wave my quantum wand now! (I hope you'll also appropriately score mine if not yet done)

Very best

Peter

Author Stephen I. Ternyik replied on Feb. 26, 2017 @ 09:21 GMT
Many thanks, Peter. The exponentiality of knowledge automation for manufacturing, finance and medicine (in the next 20 years) will be a good testing field for the physics of human consciousness, following the working assumption of the John Wheeler quote. Meaningful work & fulfilling labor will require a full economic and humanistic redefinition, and a natural science of the human mind can be of great help to find workable answers by methodical intuition and anticipation ('the great synaptic challenge'). All the best for own work & succes: stephen

Vladimir Rogozhin wrote on Mar. 1, 2017 @ 17:16 GMT
Dear Stephen,

You make some very important conclusions:

«Thus, the ethical economy of humankind on planet earth pertains to a moral dimension of space and time; space divides the human bodies into self-contained action units and time gives the human psyche the privilege to exist and to develop personally for a ‘next’ or ‘coming’ world, i.e. even the most righteous human beings on this globe need space and time for their correction. Wandering toward this goal of rectification, setting the right intention and aim, means to ‘catch’ the arrow of causation by applying ma-thematical logic and methodical extension of temporally limited knowledge.»

This is very significant words:

«Human Life is not about the expansion of theoretical knowledge, but about the applied insight into the the construction principles (laws) of reality, i.e. the main creative task as living spirit is to convert knowledge into value.»

«Human health, the social economy and ethical behaviour are one body of study (top-down) and action (bottom-up) and this is what all ancient (holy) scriptures and traditions of humanity teach (of course with distinct anthropological beliefs and practices): it is the repentive emotional and cognitive decision to do and perform the ethically good (the difference of good and evil = ethics), expecting neither reward or punishment from upper force(s). Such an awareness will pave the way to Edenic or Adamic purity where light is always preferred over darkness.»

The world picture of physicists, mathematicians, economists, poets and musicians should be united and filled with the senses of the "LifeWorld" (E.Husserl). I invite you to read my ideas.

Yours faithfully,

Vladimir

Author Stephen I. Ternyik replied on Mar. 2, 2017 @ 08:00 GMT
Many thanks, dear Vladimir ! As we will see a great global transition in the next 20 years, I am sure that science and life will become more integrated again, for the sake of human survival.The Noskov romance song seemingly modernized the poetry of N.Gumilev; the interplay of poetry and logic is based on probabilities, i.e. poetry can be viewed as a creative form of probabilitics. I will surely read your essay and give my reader response.Cordial greetings: stephen

Vladimir Rogozhin replied on Mar. 2, 2017 @ 10:52 GMT
Dear Stephen,

I believe also that in poetry and music can see the harmony of the beginning of the Universe, the harmony of the laws nature and the mathematics of harmony.

Yours faithfully,

Vladimir

Author Stephen I. Ternyik replied on Mar. 2, 2017 @ 12:33 GMT
Many thanks, Vladimir ! The 2 posts are important ones; humans have to learn to act in harmony or social ecology; music and maths can teach great lessons for this ontological transition towards learning cosmic law. Best: stephen

George Kirakosyan wrote on Mar. 3, 2017 @ 15:19 GMT
Dear Ternyik,

You have written short essay, but in amazing style and you say some very right things in this small volume. That is why I decide write you.

Particularly, you have reminded that math is a kind of science. But, It is a one very important thing actually! It is mean that those is a human creation or, - it is a tool only, very valuable of course, but the tool only! Then, from here we can understand whole significance of this theme offered to us!

I continue reading your work, meantime I just suggest you to check my essay. I hope you may read it with pleasure (despite it is a little bit large!) Then we can share with ours impressions.

Good wishes

Author Stephen I. Ternyik replied on Mar. 4, 2017 @ 09:07 GMT
Many thanks, George! Please find my reader response for your essay at your site. Best: stephen

Dizhechko Boris Semyonovich wrote on Mar. 14, 2017 @ 01:05 GMT
Stephen I. Ternyik!

I appreciate your essay. You spent a lot of effort to write it.

If you believed in the principle of identity of space and matter of Descartes, then your essay would be even better. There is not movable a geometric space, and is movable physical space. These are different concepts.

I invite you to familiarize yourself with New Cartesian Physic

I wish to see your criticism on the New Cartesian Physic, the founder of which I call myself.

The concept of moving space-matter helped me: The uncertainty principle Heisenberg to make the principle of definiteness of points of space-matter; Open the law of the constancy of the flow of forces through a closed surface is the sphere of space-matter; Open the law of universal attraction of Lorentz; Give the formula for the pressure of the Universe; To give a definition of gravitational mass as the flow vector of the centrifugal acceleration across the surface of the corpuscles, etc.

New Cartesian Physic has great potential in understanding the world. To show this potential in essay I risked give «The way of The materialist explanation of the paranormal and the supernatural” - Is the name of my essay.

Visit my essay and you will find something in it about New Cartesian Physic. Note my statement that our brain creates an image of the outside world no inside, and in external space.

Do not let New Cartesian Physic get away into obscurity! I am waiting your post.

Sincerely,

Dizhechko Boris

Author Stephen I. Ternyik replied on Mar. 14, 2017 @ 09:40 GMT
Boris, please find my reader response at your site. Best: stephen

Dizhechko Boris Semyonovich replied on Mar. 14, 2017 @ 12:55 GMT
Steven, I forgot to rate your essay, now do it. I wish you success! Dizhechko Boris

James Lee Hoover wrote on Apr. 3, 2017 @ 23:36 GMT
Stephen,

A simple economics textbook, which I have used at one time, speaks of "maximizing utility" in understanding consumer behavior.

I like the Fromm psychology of either Have/possess nature for material gain or be/enjoy nature, for present society rewards the extremes of possession and exploitation. As you suggest, we need a balance: nonGaussian distribution suggesting that humanity has become the greatest and most dangerous geo-physical force on earth, with the probable potential of self-annihilation.

I'm not so sure that mathematical logic can correct this, but believe that our turning backward the arrow of time can reveal how small we are in the scope of the universe.

Hope you get a chance to check out my ideas in my essay.

Jim Hoover

James Lee Hoover replied on Apr. 4, 2017 @ 05:37 GMT
Stephen,

Time grows short, so I am reviewing those I've read to see if I have rated them. Yours I did on 4/3. Bad accounting and short memory.

Hope you enjoyed the interchange of ideas as much as I did.

Jim Hoover

Author Stephen I. Ternyik wrote on Apr. 4, 2017 @ 07:08 GMT
Many thanks for your feedback, Jim ! I like the FQXI contest for one reason: it offers a great possibility to learn from others and their application of the mathematical method. For me, this is an expansion of my own methodical awareness. I am in agreement with your statement that neither logic nor values can change the physical (thermo-economic) direction of social systems.Using the scientific method, we have to find out how we can better organize human society, concerning lower degress of social inequality, environmental sustainability and a happy life. It is all about lowering entropy in the jackpot of human living chances; Baron JM. Keynes stated that in the end we are all dead. Death is real, so we have to improve our lives mutually in human dignity. All other (supernatural) things, we can only believe.

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.