Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Current Essay Contest

Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fnd.

Previous Contests

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Lee Bloomquist: on 3/22/17 at 2:10am UTC, wrote Fyi-- Here's a link to some other comments in the...

Lee Bloomquist: on 3/20/17 at 10:27am UTC, wrote Thank you Rick. "Being is thinking and being." -Parmenides

Rick Searle: on 3/20/17 at 0:14am UTC, wrote Hello Lee, I enjoyed your essay. In a way it brings things full circle...

Satyavarapu Gupta: on 3/18/17 at 9:22am UTC, wrote Thank you sir, I saw that essay. It was good and nicely discussed about...

Lee Bloomquist: on 3/18/17 at 0:25am UTC, wrote Thank you Dizhechko Boris, "self = (thinking, self)"

Dizhechko Semyonovich: on 3/17/17 at 23:11pm UTC, wrote Dear Lee Bloomquist I inform all the participants that use the electronic...

Lee Bloomquist: on 3/10/17 at 2:04am UTC, wrote Richard, Thank you so much for commenting. There are a lot of interesting...

Richard Benish: on 3/9/17 at 23:48pm UTC, wrote Dr. Bloomquist, I enjoyed your thought-provoking essay which attaches...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Eckard Blumschein: "Lorraine, Thank you for addressing basics of mathematics. You refer to..." in FQXi Essay Contest 2016:...

Eckard Blumschein: "Georgina, I apologize. Lorraine, Must "an economic system be found that..." in FQXi Essay Contest 2016:...

James Putnam: ""The math time = 1/nu defines time ... " Nu is cycles/second. 1/nu is..." in Alternative Models of...

Steve Agnew: "Your work has shown how normal physics like S&Z mass, length, and time have..." in Alternative Models of...

kab: "The word is enternal magic. Hope all secret never has answer will be out..." in Does Quantum Weirdness...

Robert McEachern: ""According to QBism, the wavefunction is no longer to be thought of as an..." in Painting a QBist Picture...

Robert McEachern: ""We’re interested in what distinguishes the behaviour of particles in the..." in Bohemian Reality:...

Steve Agnew: "...oh yeah, I forgot to mention quantum Bayes or QBism, which is another..." in Bohemian Reality:...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Bohemian Reality: Searching for a Quantum Connection to Consciousness
Is there are sweet spot where artificial intelligence systems could have the maximum amount of consciousness while retaining powerful quantum properties?

Quantum Replicants: Should future androids dream of quantum sheep?
To build the ultimate artificial mimics of real life systems, we may need to use quantum memory.

Painting a QBist Picture of Reality
A radical interpretation of physics makes quantum theory more personal.

The Spacetime Revolutionary
Carlo Rovelli describes how black holes may transition to "white holes," according to loop quantum gravity, a radical rewrite of fundamental physics.

Riding the Rogue Quantum Waves
Could giant sea swells help explain how the macroscopic world emerges from the quantum microworld? (Image credit: MIT News)

FQXi FORUM
March 27, 2017

CATEGORY: Wandering Towards a Goal Essay Contest (2016-2017) [back]
TOPIC: Choice Driven by Fear Is Universal, Consciousness Rare by Lee Bloomquist [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

This essay's rating: Community = 3.8; Public = 4.5

Author Lee Bloomquist wrote on Jan. 10, 2017 @ 21:50 GMT
Essay Abstract

This is a toy model of dark energy.

Author Bio

Lee Bloomquist is a retired Engineer, who also worked as an industrial researcher. He learned of the theory of information in this paper (Jon Barwise's informationalism) from organizing a workshop at Stanford's Center for the Study of Language and Information with Keith Devlin and Ted Goranson: The...

view entire post

Gary D. Simpson wrote on Jan. 12, 2017 @ 15:58 GMT
Lee,

Many thanks for an interesting read. I had to study it a little while to understand your nomenclature but it is worthwhile.

Your essay seems to argue that an object has a physical property that allows it to predict the future! To some, this might seem impossible, but to me, this seems very possible. You might find my essay to be interesting in this regard. I will combine your...

view entire post

report post as inappropriate

Author Lee Bloomquist replied on Jan. 13, 2017 @ 03:08 GMT
Thanks Gary. Looks like you are interested in the Division Algebras. They are fascinating. Division let's you say things about "possibility." If that interests you, there's something about it in the first section of a paper you can download here. I wonder what it would mean for the wave functions you are studying.

Joe Fisher replied on Jan. 14, 2017 @ 16:59 GMT
Dear Mr. Bloomquist,

All visible objects have a real surface. As I have thoughtfully pointed out in my brilliant essay, SCORE ONE FOR SIMPLICITY, the real Universe consists only of one unified visible infinite surface occurring in one infinite dimension, that am always illuminated by infinite non-surface light. Reality am NOT guesswork.

Joe Fisher, Realist

Author Lee Bloomquist replied on Jan. 15, 2017 @ 01:56 GMT
Thanks for commenting, Joe. Reminds me of-- "Darkness sees no light and light sees no darkness."

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta wrote on Feb. 9, 2017 @ 00:59 GMT
Very nice essay Bloomquest,

Very good idea and logic is good. Probably you need to make some corrections in your essay. In page 7 last para and in page 8 first and second para… You mentioned dark energy and Blackhole. These concepts not required. They are not even required in large scale universe also. Physics at large scales can be explained without these in a much better way. Probably...

view entire post

Author Lee Bloomquist wrote on Feb. 10, 2017 @ 02:41 GMT
Thanks for commenting!

More generally the idea is to look for equations that might reveal an information channel between different parts of the same system (as when using certain maths, the Born rule can be used to construct an information channel between the nonStandardFuture and the nonStandardPast).

As another example, the equation defining proper time in terms of coordinate time...

view entire post

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta replied on Mar. 18, 2017 @ 09:22 GMT
Thank you sir,

I saw that essay. It was good and nicely discussed about nicely. your words......." However, despite a great deal of evidence for the validity of this correspondence, we do not have a deep understanding of why or how spacetime/gravity emerges from the degrees of freedom of the field theory. In this essay, we will argue, based on widely accepted examples of gauge theory /...

view entire post

Member George F. R. Ellis wrote on Feb. 19, 2017 @ 07:07 GMT
Dear Lee

this is a very interesting essay. I very much like the breadth of vision. And I agree very much about Feynman and wandering.

Two specific issues. First, your concept of the origin of dark energy may relate to a very interesting paper by Thibaut Josset, Alejandro Perez, Daniel Sudarsky: arXiv:1604.04183.

Second, Probability Learning is crucial to life: it is...

view entire post

Author Lee Bloomquist wrote on Feb. 19, 2017 @ 23:53 GMT
Professor Ellis,

First I must express my sincere respect. You have been recognized by Nelson Mandela for your opposition to apartheid. Perhaps of related interest, I have recently watched the video of a speaker in Soweto say that now South Africa has the chance to light, and lead, the world in peace.

Second, your essay demonstrates the logical equations of physics and then the...

view entire post

Author Lee Bloomquist wrote on Mar. 6, 2017 @ 01:07 GMT
This is an Extended Abstract of the essay.

This is a toy model of dark energy. The original motivation for building this model was to report to physicists the finding of a new mathematical object I called the Born infomorphism, a transmission of information from the nonstandard future into the nonstandard past involving the Born rule and a nonstandard model of time. Guidelines from the essay contest— to which this essay is submitted— have given the model its present form.

New methods introduced by Jon Barwise (e.g. Information and Impossibilities), Samson Abramsky (his paper and his presentation on Big Toy Models) and others (e.g. Jerry Seligman, Information Flow, Lawrence Moss, Vicious Circles) have been applied to the architecture. Specifically, a co-algebra called a stream is built within a Chu space, which is then placed inside the monad (as in nonstandard analysis) that is nonstandard time. Which monad, called clockTime, then becomes the output of another stream, properTime. In previous work, this stream is "zippered" together (a technique for combining streams which are modeled by non-wellfounded sets) with David Bohm's Holomovement. Inside this architecture, the essay presents a new mathematical expression for the collapse of the wave function. This new mathematics for the collapse of the wave function seems, perhaps arguably, like the simplest possible to imagine. Collapse of the wave function seems to look like the diagram which is expressed in the text as a table.

Taking the idea from Bohm and Hiley in The Undivided Universe— that the two sides of the simplest equation for the Born rule are from two different processes— the model applies a different algorithm for each side of the equation. These are a pair of algorithms from mathematical game theory-- from the mathematical game called probability learning. In this context, the signature of a learning algorithm becomes evident. What is it learning? The laws of physics. Since it doesn't know the laws of physics, the particle must learn the laws of physics. And so it seems logical that instead of being an object, the particle in this architecture is a process (in fact, a stream). Which in previous work on the model is used to "complete" quantum mechanics, by complementing the Schrödinger equation with a co-algebra that is a stream.

All of which, in this essay, models dark energy as the waste stream from the above mathematical game, now seen as a thermodynamic engine. Forces between particles are in this model entropic.

For context, the mathematics which Feynman used in his famous lectures to talk about the goal of least action is "mindless" insofar as there is no decision process modeled in that mathematics, i.e. in the mathematics Feynman used there is no explicitly modeled process by which a player with intentions selects among possibilities to achieve the goal of least action. Here, the model begins with Abramsky's paper, in which at least the "possibilities" are made explicit. In the new mathematical model for wave function collapse, the mathematical model of such a decision process becomes explicit. So in this architecture, the decision process by which a choice is made among possibilities in order to achieve a goal is universal— from the Born infomorphism on up.

Which leads to a testable hypothesis— The Dream Child Hypothesis. In previous work on this model, the non-wellfounded set "self = (self)" was modeled by Petri nets, which are, again, a co-algebra. To make this Petri net model work, a feedback loop is needed. In the case of animals, such a feedback loop may involve either enteroceptors or proprioceptors. The former are involved in the heartbeat and the latter are involved in the breath. The Dream Child Hypothesis holds that "self=(self)" begins, not when the feedback loop is closed by enteroceptors, but when the feedback loop is closed by proprioceptors. Neuro-imaging with laboratory animals should be able to test the hypothesis.

Richard J Benish wrote on Mar. 9, 2017 @ 23:48 GMT
Dr. Bloomquist,

I enjoyed your thought-provoking essay which attaches human emotions to particles and stars:

"The toy model says we are all the same in the Universe: star- dust, stars, particles, human beings— all are driven by unconscious fear of some kind. And for human beings in the current world situation— this is a problem. Many important choices seem to be largely based on...

view entire post

Author Lee Bloomquist replied on Mar. 10, 2017 @ 02:04 GMT
Richard, Thank you so much for commenting. There are a lot of interesting essays in this contest-- including yours. And, it's clear to me that you are enjoying your work! I hope that some gifted experimentalists get interested. Very Best Regards, Lee

Dizhechko Boris Semyonovich wrote on Mar. 17, 2017 @ 23:11 GMT
Dear Lee Bloomquist

I inform all the participants that use the electronic translator, therefore, my essay is written badly. I participate in the contest to familiarize English-speaking scientists with New Cartesian Physic, the basis of which the principle of identity of space and matter. Combining space and matter into a single essence, the New Cartesian Physic is able to integrate modern...

view entire post

Author Lee Bloomquist replied on Mar. 18, 2017 @ 00:25 GMT
Thank you Dizhechko Boris,

"self = (thinking, self)"

Rick Searle wrote on Mar. 20, 2017 @ 00:14 GMT
Hello Lee,

I enjoyed your essay. In a way it brings things full circle from my own more literary take. Science began by taking mind out of matter, but if you're right, will conclude by having brought it back in.

http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/2817

Best of luck,

Rick Searle

Author Lee Bloomquist replied on Mar. 20, 2017 @ 10:27 GMT
Thank you Rick.

"Being is thinking and being." -Parmenides

Author Lee Bloomquist wrote on Mar. 22, 2017 @ 02:10 GMT
Fyi-- Here's a link to some other comments in the contest.

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:

And select the letter between 'H' and 'J':

Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.