Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Current Essay Contest

Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fnd.

Previous Contests

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

John LaMuth: on 2/24/17 at 7:27am UTC, wrote I was limited by word-count, but the answer is EPIPHENOMENALISM (I suggest...

basudeba mishra: on 2/20/17 at 14:19pm UTC, wrote Dear Sir, Your paper was highly engrossing. However, the statement: “how...

Lawrence Crowell: on 2/13/17 at 0:28am UTC, wrote I don't have a lot to comment on, but your paper was well written and...

Satyavarapu Gupta: on 2/10/17 at 4:33am UTC, wrote Nice Reply sir, Best wishes

Satyavarapu Gupta: on 2/10/17 at 4:30am UTC, wrote Dear John Edward LaMuth, I replied in my post there on my paper... Thank...

John LaMuth: on 2/9/17 at 4:56am UTC, wrote Why would mindless mathematical laws only give rise to aims and intentions?...

Satyavarapu Gupta: on 2/8/17 at 21:00pm UTC, wrote Good essay on behavioral sciences and human brain working and virtues and...

John LaMuth: on 1/28/17 at 23:36pm UTC, wrote Joseph You devised an elegant math-model and then populated it with a wide...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Jose Koshy: "James Putnam, What do you mean by the acceleration of light? Do you mean..." in Alternative Models of...

Jose Koshy: "Steven, Because we are not sitting face to face, I may not be replying..." in Alternative Models of...

Algernon kk: "Steve Agnew is a legend for doing that. A lot of people at online resume..." in Weinberg: Why quantum...

Mohan rao: "Voot app free download Flash Recovery" in Time in Physics & Entropy...

Mohan rao: "My partner and I stumbled over here different website and thought I might..." in Time in Physics & Entropy...

Gary Simpson: "Ted, BTW, it is the community vote that matters ... not the public vote...." in FQXi Essay Contest 2016:...

Gary Simpson: "Ted, You statement regarding your score does not make any sense. You..." in FQXi Essay Contest 2016:...

Algernon kk: "Steve Agnew is a legend for doing that. A lot of people at custom..." in Weinberg: Why quantum...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Quantum Replicants: Should future androids dream of quantum sheep?
To build the ultimate artificial mimics of real life systems, we may need to use quantum memory.

Painting a QBist Picture of Reality
A radical interpretation of physics makes quantum theory more personal.

The Spacetime Revolutionary
Carlo Rovelli describes how black holes may transition to "white holes," according to loop quantum gravity, a radical rewrite of fundamental physics.

Riding the Rogue Quantum Waves
Could giant sea swells help explain how the macroscopic world emerges from the quantum microworld? (Image credit: MIT News)

Rescuing Reality
A "retrocausal" rewrite of physics, in which influences from the future can affect the past, could solve some quantum quandaries—saving Einstein's view of reality along the way.

FQXi FORUM
February 28, 2017

CATEGORY: Wandering Towards a Goal Essay Contest (2016-2017) [back]
TOPIC: The Pivotal Role of Intentionality within the Neurosciences by John Edward LaMuth [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

This essay's rating: Community = 5.9; Public = 4.3

Author John Edward LaMuth wrote on Jan. 10, 2017 @ 21:50 GMT
Essay Abstract

One of the most profound conundrums of human existence ultimately questions how mindless mathematical laws can give rise to aims and intentions? Alternately, should this order of causality actually be reversed? Indeed, what factors of the motivated human intellect actually promote the development of the advanced mathematical models so conducive to explaining the dynamics of a callously-silent natural world? Any foundational explanation of goal-seeking intentionality necessarily invokes the scientific precepts of Behavioral Psychology: defined as a dynamical set of laws governing survival through learned behavior where homeostatic conditions at one moment of time extend inexorably into a future time-frame in order to maintain a safe range of homeostatic equilibrium. Truly intelligent agents appear to mentally plan in relation to long-term goals and intentions that serve the crucial aims of physical-survival, reproduction, and thriving. This treatise proposes how complex goal-oriented systems evolved (through an appeal to evolutionary and biophysical neuroscience), whereby further speculating how such intentional goal-seeking behavior emergently functions within a natural world that we can scientifically describe through the aid of mathematical symbolism.

Author Bio

John E. LaMuth is a 63 year-old counselor and author, native to the Southern California area. Credentials include a Bachelor of Science Degree in Biological Sciences from University of California, Irvine: followed by a Master of Science Degree in Counseling from California State University, Fullerton; with an emphasis in Marriage, Family, and Child Counseling. John is currently engaged in private practice in Divorce and Family Mediation Counseling in the Southern CA area . John is also Professor for Peace Studies and Conflict Resolution at The American University of Sovereign Nations, located at San Carlos, Arizona – USA.

Download Essay PDF File

Eckard Blumschein wrote on Jan. 11, 2017 @ 15:34 GMT
Dear author,

I see your objection against physical explanation of physiology justified to some extent. To my humble knowledge of auditory function, even hearing is an at least partially active process that can best be understood by means of evolutionary and experimental data.

Unfortunately even T. Ren recently gave in and accepted in nature communications v. Békésy's mandatory idea of a mechanics based traveling wave in human cochlea. He merely admitted to me, an alternative hypothesis might likewise be right.

++++

report post as inappropriate

Author John Edward LaMuth replied on Jan. 13, 2017 @ 05:54 GMT
I am unclear about the authors you mention. Can you please offer any references

John L

http://youtu.be/gMSGoxUSYxk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p
8kL3v539D4 Forebrain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alf5IB6iR2c AI

Eckard Blumschein replied on Jan. 18, 2017 @ 18:42 GMT
With pleasure. I refer to Tianying Ren of ohsu.edu and his papers in PNAS 99, 17101-17106 (2002) and Nat Commun 7, 10282 (2016), respectively. In order to understand my objections to the latter one, you might look into my essay "Galilei, Gold, Ren: votes for ultimate realism" in the second fqxi contest "What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?".

Until the end of this month, January 20017, my home page is still available. It contains about 275 postings of a worlswide discussion on auditory function which was prompted by Al Bregman out of Dan Ellis' huge auditory list. Having attended a NATO ASI devoted to computational hearing in Il Ciocco, Italy on invitation by Steven Greenberg, I an convinced that in particular Pujol in France, Martin Braun in Sweden, Geoffrey Manley in Germany, Haim Sohmer in Israel and also Andrew Bell and Flatmax in Australia contributed valuable details or concepts. I see the afferent and efferent AN fibers and many other physiological details up to A1 as indications for active hearing down to the cochlea. Nonetheless, there is there some kind of a wave that quasi travels on the spot, i.e. with non-traveling envelope, merely directed towards apex. Admittedly, nobody of the authorities seems to be ready to abandon the idea that a mechanical wave is primary to the action of HCs. I see it the other way round.

John C Hodge wrote on Jan. 11, 2017 @ 19:02 GMT
RE: your Fig. 1-The major virtues, values and ideals

What is the meaning of the arrows (seems like cause and effect)? To what are the numbers referring?

The paper http://intellectualarchive.com/?link=item&id=694 sets survival as the only goal of life (and everything) . I understood you also suggested this. However, I notice the end result of Fig. 1 is Transcendence. The Adam Kadmon (Tree of Life) and its reinterpretation in the paper holds some of the values as evil (acting against survival). One of the more controversial is "Faith" is a passive evil (destructive of the individual) of "Hope". The same for Beauty and Truth (note Faith leads to the opposite of Truth). The whole level of "humanitarian" may oppose survival as we see in the current decline of the US.

Structure alone (emergent process) dictates considerably to the increase of intelligence. Why?

Hodge

Author John Edward LaMuth replied on Jan. 13, 2017 @ 05:48 GMT
Mr. Hodge

The arrows represent a concept from the fledgling science of Communication Theory, borrowing the crucial concept of the metaperspective. It is defined as a higher-order perspective on the viewpoint held by another: schematically defined as “this is how I see you-seeing me.” The higher-order groupings of virtues/values are ordered as subsets within a hierarchy of...

view entire post

John C Hodge wrote on Jan. 13, 2017 @ 11:16 GMT
Mr. LaMuth

I noticed your response to Gambini. I'll watch the videos and will have questions. I was hoping the numbers referred to some discussion on how each helps or hinders survival.

Hodge

Author John Edward LaMuth replied on Jan. 13, 2017 @ 22:55 GMT
Mr. Hodge

Glad to offer any clarifications.

My you-tube channel is - meaningolife

The numbers are simply a three-digit coding system I have devised to organize the complexity

Here, a planetary system of ethics is a goal that has long been anticipated on the world scene today. Although organized religion has long been celebrated as the standard bearer for the promotion...

view entire post

Joe Fisher wrote on Jan. 13, 2017 @ 16:38 GMT
Dear Professor LaMuth,

As I have thoughtfully pointed out in my brilliant essay, SCORE ONE FOR SIMPLICITY, the real Universe consists only of one unified visible infinite surface occurring in one infinite dimension, that am always illuminated by infinite non-surface light. Reality am not a conundrum.

Joe Fisher, Realist

Author John Edward LaMuth replied on Jan. 13, 2017 @ 22:43 GMT
Mr Fisher

Plz provide your experimental confirmation for your theory. It sounds brilliant...

John L

Joe Fisher replied on Jan. 14, 2017 @ 16:05 GMT
Dear Professor LaMuth,

Thank you ever so much for the compliment. My whole point am that natural reality am not experimental. All humanly contrived experiments are complicated and have to be undertaken in the supposedly closed finite conditions of the laboratory. As I have thoughtfully pointed out in my brilliant essay, SCORE ONE FOR SIMPLICITY, the real Universe consists only of one unified visible infinite surface occurring in one infinite dimension, that am always illuminated by infinite non-surface light. Reality am not a conundrum.

Joe Fisher, Realist

John C Hodge wrote on Jan. 17, 2017 @ 03:49 GMT
Thanks.

I suggested studying neural nets and bundels as a possible way to understand consciousness in a deterministic model. You suggested the layering of the brain must be part of understanding deterministic consciousness is very interesting.

The 2 concepts together suggests to me the functioning of PLAs (Programable logic arrays) as a means to explain how bit inputs from light, sound can be turned into action - one big logic array processing bundles (parallel signels) to muscle stimulus in long string of PLAs.

Years ago I studied the idea of using oxides on metal surfaces as bits. An oxide bound to a metal surface is a diode. Place 2metal surfaces togeher with an oxide between. The oxcide can be swithced to one or the othr surfave bu the polarity of a pulse (nerves act by pulses). layers of crossing metal paths (0.1 mil wide, 0.1 mil between). The difficulty was the bond was temporary and required refreshing and constant pulsing. This is starting to sound like a neuron to neuron mechanism.

Thanks for article.

Hodge

Joe Fisher replied on Jan. 17, 2017 @ 17:06 GMT
Dear Mr. Hodge,

A human brain consists only of a visible surface. There are no invisible components. The real Universe consists only of one unified visible infinite surface occurring in one infinite dimension, that am always illuminated by infinite non-surface light. Reality am not as complicated as theories of reality are.

Joe Fisher, Realist

Steve Dufourny wrote on Jan. 17, 2017 @ 11:55 GMT
Hello Mr Lamuth,

You have made a beautiful general work about what is our brain and its interactions.I wish you all the best in this contest.

Universally and altruistically yours :)

Joseph J. Jean-Claude wrote on Jan. 21, 2017 @ 15:06 GMT
The author does a good job a exposing the state of the knowledge in neuroscience and behavioral psychology in relation to motivated human behavior. He faithfully exposes the difficulties experienced in these sciences insofar as hard core mathematical description of motivational behavior, beyond the now familiar metrics and taxonomic methods. The author makes no attempts however to propose own contribution to such efforts of mathematical codification, which the question at hand is calling for.

The language reaches at times a level of technical sophistication, common in those circles, but frankly unsuitable to the uninitiated.

Nevertheless a serious, substantive and respectable essay overall.

Author John Edward LaMuth replied on Jan. 22, 2017 @ 07:11 GMT
You appear to have missed my Cartesian coordinate system that aspires to represent the first "Periodic Table for the Human Forebrain,” analogous to the similar influence the Periodic Table of Elements plays with respect to Chemistry and Physics, imparting a crucial sense of systematic order and purpose. As such, it provides the long-anticipated link between the “hard science” of neuroanatomy with its “soft” correlates within behavioral and humanistic psychology. The precise number of elementary levels has accurately been determined for both basic forebrain parameters. Sanides (1970) proposed that the human cortex evolved as a sequence of five (and now six) concentric growth rings comprising a medio-lateral hemisphere gradient. Furthermore, the interoceptive, exteroceptive and proprioceptive input categories each project to their own four-part complex of cortical bands that (when taken collect¬ively) define an antero-posterior hemisphere gradient. When the para-cor¬onal variable of phylogenetic age is plotted as the ordinate and the para-sagittal parameter of input specificity charted as the abscissa in a Cartesian coordinate system, the resulting dual parameter grid depicted in Fig. 1 is spatially oriented in a pattern analogous to the standard cortical representation. Each unit square within this schematic chart depicts paired coordinate values specifying functionally unique age and input forebrain parameters.

Joseph J. Jean-Claude replied on Jan. 28, 2017 @ 22:56 GMT
Hello John.

I sure have noted those features of your analysis, essentially proposing a chart of the brain and its developmental history based on a Cartesian referential. However, interesting though they are, they are not quite the mathematical codification that we are used to in the "hard" sciences, as we expect functional expressions, or trigonometric, or matrixial, or otherwise... beyond the coordinate system.

I do not want to promote my own essay at your expense, but you will see there a full mathematical development subtending a detailed analysis of the structure of human cognition, including intentionality.

Again I believe the effort shown in your essay overall is much commendable.

Good luck.

Joseph

Author John Edward LaMuth replied on Jan. 28, 2017 @ 23:36 GMT
Joseph

You devised an elegant math-model and then populated it with a wide assortment of seemingly random affective terms (after the fact) Where is your experimental proof that all this truly models the reality of the way the mind works ??

John L

www.world-peace.org

www.forebrain.org

http://youtu.be/gMSGoxUSYxk

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta wrote on Feb. 8, 2017 @ 21:00 GMT
Good essay on behavioral sciences and human brain working and virtues and values....

How will this fit in this FQXi contest …”how mindless mathematical laws can give rise to aims and intentions?”....?

I did not understand

Author John Edward LaMuth replied on Feb. 9, 2017 @ 04:56 GMT
Why would mindless mathematical laws only give rise to aims and intentions? Alternately, should this order of causality actually be reversed? Indeed, what factors of the motivated human intellect actually promote the development of the advanced mathematical models so conducive to explaining the dynamics of a callously-silent natural world?

You appear to have completely missed my Cartesian coordinate system that aspires to represent the first "Periodic Table for the Human Forebrain,” analogous to the similar influence the Periodic Table of Elements plays with respect to Chemistry and Physics, imparting a crucial sense of systematic order and purpose. As such, it provides the long-anticipated link between the “hard science” of neuroanatomy with its “soft” correlates within behavioral and humanistic psychology. The precise number of elementary levels has accurately been determined for both basic forebrain parameters. Sanides (1970) proposed that the human cortex evolved as a sequence of five (and now six) concentric growth rings comprising a medio-lateral hemisphere gradient. Furthermore, the interoceptive, exteroceptive and proprioceptive input categories each project to their own four-part complex of cortical bands that (when taken collect¬ively) define an antero-posterior hemisphere gradient. When the para-cor¬onal variable of phylogenetic age is plotted as the ordinate and the para-sagittal parameter of input specificity charted as the abscissa in a Cartesian coordinate system, the resulting dual parameter grid depicted in Fig. 1 is spatially oriented in a pattern analogous to the standard cortical representation. Each unit square within this schematic chart depicts paired coordinate values specifying functionally unique age and input forebrain parameters.

John L

www.forebrain.org

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta replied on Feb. 10, 2017 @ 04:33 GMT
Nice Reply sir,

Best wishes

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta wrote on Feb. 10, 2017 @ 04:30 GMT
Dear John Edward LaMuth,

I replied in my post there on my paper...

Thank you for your interest on my essay and your good question...

Please See posts by and... my reply to the questions by...

Schneider wrote on Jan. 27, 2017 @ 07:59 GMT

and ...

Harry Hamlin Ricker III wrote on Jan. 31, 2017 @ 14:49 GMT

I hope it will clarify your question, if not we can discuss again

Best

Lawrence B. Crowell wrote on Feb. 13, 2017 @ 00:28 GMT
I don't have a lot to comment on, but your paper was well written and professionally done.

Cheers LC

basudeba mishra wrote on Feb. 20, 2017 @ 14:19 GMT
Dear Sir,

Your paper was highly engrossing. However, the statement: “how mindless mathematical laws can give rise to aims and intentions” appears self-contradictory. The universe progresses mechanically following mathematical rules. But unless an observer applies its mind to the resultant state, it makes no sense. Once someone applies mind to the external impulses, only such interaction...

view entire post

Author John Edward LaMuth replied on Feb. 24, 2017 @ 07:27 GMT
I was limited by word-count, but the answer is EPIPHENOMENALISM (I suggest you google this) As far as the virtues, The arrows represent a concept from the fledgling science of Communication Theory, borrowing the crucial concept of the metaperspective. It is defined as a higher-order perspective on the viewpoint held by another: schematically defined as “this is how I see you-seeing me.” The...

view entire post

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:

And select the letter between 'X' and 'Z':

Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.