Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the blogger are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Phyllis Santos: on 9/7/17 at 18:00pm UTC, wrote I am mainly surprised by the way you unique out cheap writing service...

Phyllis Santos: on 9/7/17 at 17:59pm UTC, wrote Fantastic article. Thanks for top essay writing service sharing. Its useful

Steve Dufourny: on 11/5/16 at 18:32pm UTC, wrote About the supermassive Black Holes ,central to galaxies,they are really...

Steve Dufourny: on 11/5/16 at 15:48pm UTC, wrote Hello Eckard, :) sorry Neutron stars is better.I write too quickly without...

Eckard Blumschein: on 11/5/16 at 15:19pm UTC, wrote Steve D, Your "neuron stars" is a much nicer typo than any out of the many...

Steve Dufourny: on 11/5/16 at 9:28am UTC, wrote These researchs about neuron stars seem very relevant.These stars become...

Steve Dufourny: on 11/5/16 at 9:07am UTC, wrote Hello from Belgium Dr Melville , Nice to know you.Thanks for sharing, it...

Graeme Melville: on 11/5/16 at 1:00am UTC, wrote I was one of the committee members of the Australian Institute of Physics...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

mono joli: "thanks a lot for such a great topic. Scary Maze Games Basketball Legends..." in The Race to Replace the...

Joe Fisher: "Dear Dr. Brendan Foster, Of course: “We Are All Connected .” My..." in We Are All Connected

Caroline v: "Thanks for informing us about FQXi-sponsored workshop which aim was to..." in Schrödinger’s Cat...

Caroline v: "thanks" in Schrödinger’s Cat...

Yelena Hopper: "Training is the way toward encouraging learning, or the procurement of..." in Wandering Towards a Goal:...

Yelena Hopper: "This article is such a pleasant and intriguing one, I'm exceptionally happy..." in We Are All Connected

Yelena Hopper: "Pushing the points of confinement of hypothesis and creative energy in..." in Review of “A Big Bang...

George Manner: "This is very interesting thing to know about Comment on hand" in Multiversal Journeys'...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Our Place in the Multiverse
Calculating the odds that intelligent observers arise in parallel universes—and working out what they might see.

Sounding the Drums to Listen for Gravity’s Effect on Quantum Phenomena
A bench-top experiment could test the notion that gravity breaks delicate quantum superpositions.

Watching the Observers
Accounting for quantum fuzziness could help us measure space and time—and the cosmos—more accurately.

Bohemian Reality: Searching for a Quantum Connection to Consciousness
Is there are sweet spot where artificial intelligence systems could have the maximum amount of consciousness while retaining powerful quantum properties?

Quantum Replicants: Should future androids dream of quantum sheep?
To build the ultimate artificial mimics of real life systems, we may need to use quantum memory.

FQXi BLOGS
October 17, 2017

CATEGORY: Blog [back]
TOPIC: Koalas, Quantum Mechanics and My Role as the 2016 Women in Physics Lecturer in Australia [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Blogger Catalina Curceanu wrote on Nov. 2, 2016 @ 18:22 GMT
On the Women in Physics Lecture tour
This August, I was honored to make my first visit to Australia as the winner of the 2016 Women in Physics International Award of the Australian Institute of Physics (AIP). I gave a series of lectures across Australia, holding about 30 seminars and conferences in a number of universities, research centers, colleges and public sites. The series started in Tasmania and moved to Sydney (where I lectured at the astronomical observatory), the Wollongong Science Centre, Brisbane, Adelaide, Perth, Canberra and Melbourne. A real tour de force which was possible only due to the support from the AIP colleagues who organized the tour in the best way.

While lecturing across Australia I met children as young as six, but I also met with interested audiences of all ages, including some poets that took part in my conferences. I talked about stars, black holes, quantum mechanics and about my research activities at the DAFNE collider in Frascati (LNF-INFN) and at the Gran Sasso underground laboratory, including my FQXi financed project about testing collapse models of quantum theory. (You can read more about what collapse models are and my research in my FQXi Q&A.)

One of the goals of the tour was lecturing about science to girls and encouraging them to pursue a career in science—a goal which was achieved, considering the girls’ overwhelming enthusiasm and participation in the meetings. One of the most successful activities was the Girls in Physics Breakfast, which involved—despite the early start at 7 am—more than 100 girls from 20 different Melbourne colleges. They asked so many questions about my life and about "what it is like to be a scientist."

Maybe the most interesting question during the tour was asked to me by an enthusiast 8 years old boy—he wanted to know "How big is space?"

I met so many girls and boys wishing to study science; looking into their eyes I saw a universe of beautiful possibilities, I saw the future.

I also visited wonderful laboratories in universities and science centres in the towns I visited and discussed with Australian colleagues about physics, research activities and possibilities to collaborate in the near future both on technological developments (detector systems and their possible use in fundamental science and applications) and new experiments at the underground laboratory near Melbourne in construction. Why not to test the collapse models in the Southern Hemisphere as well?

I also understood what makes Australia such a wonderful country: people with different cultural backgrounds, coming from all places in the world, all of them proud to be Australians! I believe that we, the rest of the world, can only learn the lesson Australia teaches us!

I didn’t have the chance to meet many koalas or kangaroos, but I met a lot of enthusiastic people, who love science and consider it a fundamental resource for our society.

Still a connection was established between koalas and…quantum mechanics: in a girls’ college in Melbourne, where I was lecturing about the Schroedinger’s cat paradox and future quantum technologies, I had the surprise to receive from the girls, after my presentation, a very nice little box. Opening it I found a koala toy—the girls told me they wanted to use the koala instead of the cat to express the “measurement problem” which they had studied to prepare for our discussions.

this post has been edited by the author since its original submission

report post as inappropriate

Steve Dufourny wrote on Nov. 2, 2016 @ 18:37 GMT
Congratulations.:) Koalas and Kangaroos d have loved if they were there :)

Steve Dufourny replied on Nov. 2, 2016 @ 19:47 GMT
I am happy to see this.The sciences community is still a little too much hormonal but that evolves like all fortunately.All kinds of discriminations are not welcome when we understand the universalism.The skills are the most important, the rest is vain after all.Regards

Graeme Melville replied on Nov. 5, 2016 @ 01:00 GMT
I was one of the committee members of the Australian Institute of Physics that hosted Catalina in Sydney for the 'Women in Physics' event. I would like to say that Catalina was one of the most enthusiastic, excellent communicators and knowledgeable people that has engaged in this event over many years. She was not only a credit to inspiring women to do physics but was a valuable asset in showing the value of science to our everyday lives and why we should pursue what we are good/interested in. Catalina made many friends in Australia and inspired students and the general public equally.

We all wish Catalina well in her 'Neutron Star, research.

Dr Graeme Melville

Steve Dufourny replied on Nov. 5, 2016 @ 09:07 GMT
Hello from Belgium Dr Melville ,

Nice to know you.Thanks for sharing, it is important to catalyse the interactions between researchers and students.

I am wishing her also all the best in her "neutron star"research.

Regards

Steve Dufourny wrote on Nov. 5, 2016 @ 15:48 GMT
Hello Eckard,

:) sorry Neutron stars is better.I write too quickly without rereead.You have a special humor :) about infinity ,I beleive the same?Th universe like all quantity is finite.The infinity has many interprétations.The infinite entropy for me is above our understanding ,above our physicality.The universe created by this infinite consiousness if I can say.We can only encircle the finite systems and groups indeed.The mass is quantifiable.All physical reality is quantifiable due to these finite series and correlated proportions.

(--)(--)(--)(--) :)

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.