Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Display:
 all posts
 member posts highlighted
 member posts only

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

sasa sasa: on 7/17/17 at 3:23am UTC, wrote OBAT HERNIA ampuh dan mujarab untuk mengatassi hernia dengan pengobatan...

Kevin Adams: on 6/23/17 at 13:33pm UTC, wrote Very interesting theme! Thanks a lot for this information. I just going to...

sasa sasa: on 6/3/17 at 6:06am UTC, wrote OBAT DARAH TINGGI tradisional adalah salah satu OBAT DARAH TINGGI yang...

sasa sasa: on 6/3/17 at 6:05am UTC, wrote OBAT HERNIA ampuh dan mujarab untuk mengatassi hernia dengan pengobatan...

sasa sasa: on 6/3/17 at 6:04am UTC, wrote OBAT DARAH TINGGI tradisional adalah salah satu OBAT DARAH TINGGI yang...

sussan betcher: on 4/29/17 at 5:59am UTC, wrote Such ventures helping to raise public awareness and interest in theoretical...

Steve Dufourny: on 8/23/16 at 14:37pm UTC, wrote Thanks for sharing.It is very interesting and relevant.Education is so...

Georgina Woodward: on 2/4/16 at 3:32am UTC, wrote How To Find A Parallel Universe: Cern Boosts Data Intelligence Forbes:May 4...

FQXi FORUM
July 28, 2017

CATEGORY: High Energy Physics [back]
TOPIC: Multiversal Journeys — Misconceptions About the LHC [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

FQXi Administrator Brendan Foster wrote on Jan. 27, 2016 @ 21:39 GMT
FQXi Member Farzad Nekoogar heads the excellent Multiversal Journeys, whose mission is "to raise public awareness and interest in theoretical physics and cosmology". They have recently finished two videos explaining misconceptions about the research at the Large Hadron Collider (black hole production etc.). The videos feature John Terning from the University of California — Davis physics department, and were supported by FQXi mini-grants.

Please have a view and comment here.

Misconceptions about LHC Part 1 and Part 2.

report post as inappropriate

Georgina Woodward wrote on Jan. 28, 2016 @ 02:07 GMT
Part one- well, comparison to cosmic rays was reassuring. I wonder why I haven't heard that said before, seems a simple enough argument. I liked that there was a graph. Switching from commentary to camera to lecture, repeating some of the same information, was a bit annoying, especially as the sound quality is bad for that second half. I would have much preferred if it was done as a whole presentation for the one purpose, with good sound quality.

Part 2- starts with a repeat of the introductory material of part 1. Feels like my time is being wasted especially after the long title sequence, that I have now seen twice. It was good that the Stephen Hawking worry was explained. The Spock parallel universe story was not really dealt with. Part 1 explained that detecting parallel universes wasn't really applicable but that isn't said at the end of part 2 - we are left with a joke about evil Spock's beard, not a conclusion.

Georgina Woodward replied on Jan. 28, 2016 @ 19:20 GMT
I am sorry if my critique seemed rather too harsh. I do think that reassuring people's concerns, by providing additional information on which to base their judgement, is an admirable thing to do. 'The press' do seem to like scaremongering. The apparatus is big and 'scary looking' and the unknown can worry people.

Member Farzad Nekoogar replied on Feb. 1, 2016 @ 05:38 GMT
The two videos are supposed to be independent of each other. Therefore, both videos need to have introductory segments.

Georgina Woodward replied on Feb. 1, 2016 @ 19:31 GMT
Hi Farzad,

calling the videos part 1 and part 2 does not make them seem like independent videos. I think most people would watch them in the order part 1 followed by part 2, thinking that part 2 would follow on from the content of part 1 rather than repeat it. One naming suggestion; the first might be called 'Cosmic rays and the LHC' and the second 'Stephen Hawking' and the LHC. The title sequence is nice but pretty long given the length of the videos themselves.

Steve Dufourny wrote on Jan. 28, 2016 @ 10:00 GMT
Hello Mr Foster,

I have thought a little about these multiverse.I am not against a kind of anti thesis about the principle of uniquenss.The Unique universal sphere and the multispheres.Mr Tegmark can make these multispheres.I am asking me if the geometrical algebras and the convergences can be relevant.In fact we can even make a convergence with these multispheres linked with this uniqueness.We retrun always at this singularity above the walls of our physicality.So the multispheres and the sphere can be correlated and mathematically detailed.This infinite entropy and this gravitation are our other steps.The relevance is about the different physical propoerties of each multisphere ,we can change the poarameters and compare with this rational universe,the universal sphere.The points equilibriums can be found towards the singularity and the singularities.Regards

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.