Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Quantum Antigravity: on 4/17/17 at 23:17pm UTC, wrote EXPERIMENTAL quantum Anti-gravity —...

elena gilbert: on 3/24/16 at 17:25pm UTC, wrote Buy Data Based Genuine Registered Passports,Id Cards( pvc),Driver's...

Steve Dufourny: on 2/6/16 at 9:14am UTC, wrote Hi Don, You are welcome.The neutrinos are bosons and are probably correct...

Don Limuti: on 2/6/16 at 6:32am UTC, wrote Hi Steve, Thanks for your comments. I would rephrase your last sentence to...

Steve Dufourny: on 2/5/16 at 10:12am UTC, wrote Hi Don and Ms Piekema, I agree totally with you Don, I don't think that we...

Don Limuti: on 2/3/16 at 23:04pm UTC, wrote Dear Carinne Piekema, Thanks for presenting the work of Keith Schwab....

Steve Dufourny: on 8/25/15 at 15:27pm UTC, wrote Thanks Mr Agnew,interesting point of vue.

Steve Agnew: on 8/22/15 at 15:36pm UTC, wrote It is a quite beautiful association of the spin pair that we call charge...

FQXi FORUM
May 26, 2017

ARTICLE: Conjuring a Neutron Star from a Nanowire [back to article]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Nicholas Hosein wrote on Jul. 24, 2015 @ 19:16 GMT
Read this...

http://www.sciforums.com/threads/one-quantum-world-or
-two.142197/

It is of particular importance and answers a lot of questions about the relationship between the non-superficial Quantum world and the appearing Classical one.

report post as inappropriate

Akinbo Ojo wrote on Jul. 25, 2015 @ 13:59 GMT
"Igor Pikovski, of Harvard University, and FQXi member Caslav Brukner and their colleagues recently published a paper in Nature Physics looking at how general-relativistic effects could affect quantum systems (Pikovski et al, Nature Physics (2015)). In particular, they have been investigating time dilation—the slowing of clocks near heavy objects. The team has calculated that even the weak time dilation effect on our planet due to Earth’s gravity could be large enough to disrupt the quantum properties for molecules and larger objects".

1. If this is so, Igor and Caslav, should consider whether the value of light velocity (distance covered/time taken) 299,792,458m/s was measured under theinfluence of Earth's gravity or not, i.e. the distance taken for light to. If it was, whether on a different planet or neutron star with a different 'time dilation' the same value would have been obtained. On a lighter note, can an earthly currency note be used to purchase an equivalent amount of goods on a different planet? My banker tells me No, even if the earthly powers in charge of physics are giving the assurance that 'c' can be spent everywhere in the universe.

2. The International Bureau for Weights and Measures (BIPM), making full use of the property that atomic clocks are one of the most reliable time-keepers available to our civilization, defined the second as: the duration of 9 192 631 770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the Caesium 133 atom. How reliable then is this definition? Can it be of universal usage? Or is the quantum property of Caesium 133 atom immune to the time dilation effect on our planet due to Earth’s gravity contrary to what is said in this article?

Akinbo

Steve Agnew replied on Jul. 31, 2015 @ 22:12 GMT
It is interesting to me that you keep bringing up the definition of the speed of light and the Cs-133 atomic clock frequency. Since these are definitions, that is simply how they are used in science. In fact, there are about four more decimal places for the Cs-133 frequency right now beyond just the integer value that you show.

There are differences between space and earth, vacuum and air, moving or at rest, but that does not change the fixed definitions of time and space as c. There must be something fixed in order to anchor reality and so the questions that you ask should not be about the fixed definitions of time and c, your questions should be about the consequences for other measurements like mass, not of the definitions of time and space.

Fixing time to the frequency of Cs-133 and space to c should result in a constant mass over time. However, the IPK mass standard in Paris varies at 0.28 ppb/yr and there is no more precise measurement of mass yet. Without a correspondingly precise measurement of mass to anchor time and space, our definitions of time and space are simply that...definitions.

Akinbo Ojo replied on Aug. 1, 2015 @ 14:00 GMT
Hello Steve,

If you check the definition of a second by the BIPM here you will see provisos attached to the definition such as the Cs-133 being in an environment at 0K temperature, etc. In other words the environment in which Cs-133 is can affect its frequency. Is this not so? Why then can't a similar proviso be included for the "the weak time dilation effect on our planet due to Earth’s...

view entire post

Anonymous replied on Aug. 1, 2015 @ 15:06 GMT
All I am saying is that a definition is a definition. Where the chickens come home to roost is not with a variation of time or space by the atomic clock and c, it is with a variation of mass or some other property and that would reveal the true nature of reality. It does not appear that this nanowire experiment will have the precision to measure the decay of matter over several...

view entire post

Joe Fisher wrote on Jul. 25, 2015 @ 15:30 GMT
In 1985, the magician David Copperfield was filmed through lighted white screens, appearing to walk through the Great Wall of China. You can watch it on UTUBE.

Newton was wrong about abstract gravity. Einstein was wrong about abstract space/time. Real quantum particles do exist. Reality consists of nothing else but quantum particles. Reality has always consisted of quantum particles because quantum particles are eternal.

Attempting to manipulate manufactured quantum particles to behave in a manner you think they ought to behave in while seemingly trapped in an abstract black hole or while sputtering on an abstract Neutron star is silly. Every real star is unique as to its composition and its distance apart from all other stars. Every real thing has a real surface, whether the real surface it has is solid, liquid, or gaseous. All surfaces must travel at the same constant speed. Light does not have a surface; therefore, light is the only stationary substance in the Universe. You cannot accelerate nor decelerate the constant speed of surface.

Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher replied on Jul. 26, 2015 @ 14:50 GMT
Stylishly depicting computer generated graphics of astral phenomena is very pretty, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the supposed fidelity of scientific inquiry. The picture of the supposed neutron star that accompanies this article only serves to emphasize the grotesque inaccuracy of the article’s unrealistic implication.

Joe Fisher

Jan Mazuch wrote on Jul. 30, 2015 @ 19:55 GMT
Dear all,

Because simple rotation creating g forces and time dilatation is there any result of study for example of interaction fast rotating core of atom, vs slow rotating core of atom, or molecule etc

Is it some kind of study technically possible ?

/Centrifuga for atoms/

Don Limuti wrote on Feb. 3, 2016 @ 23:04 GMT
Dear Carinne Piekema,

Thanks for presenting the work of Keith Schwab. Making good experiments is hard work.

It keeps the rest of us honest.

Here are some ideas for Keith:

1. It is possible that your vibrating wire is producing EM radiation (aka light) at a wavelength of about 0.3 meters. Get a ham radio receiver set it to detect 0.3 meters and take a look. I am very suspicious that gravity waves due to accelerations may actually be light.

2. I also suspect that general relativity is correct and at the same time incomplete. I have reason to believe that the standard model of the graviton will complete gravity theory. Check out this link: http://www.digitalwavetheory.com/DWT/17_Making_a_Case_for_th
e_Graviton.html

4. I believe some of the best work on gravity is being done via the current work on neutrino detectors check out: http://www.digitalwavetheory.com/DWT/38_Neutrinos_and_Gravit
y.html

3. If the links interests you can get a better overview of my work via the index: http://www.digitalwavetheory.com/DWT/Index.html

Thanks for doing the hard work.

Don Limuti

Steve Dufourny replied on Feb. 5, 2016 @ 10:12 GMT
Hi Don and Ms Piekema,

I agree totally with you Don, I don't think that we can analyse the gravity in the logic of our standard model and heat and thermo and electromagnetism.The gravitons are not really relevant and foundamental because they are bosons.The gravitation is the weakest force considering the encoding of informations.If the spherical volumes are an universal key linking the quantum scale and the cosmological scale, so it becomes relevant.Theproblem is how to see them,I named them the spherons.How to check them,to analyse them ....They are so small and speed these partiles encoded in our nucleis.The QFT and the QED must be renormalised in inserting the gravitation but with a different logic that said.If the quantum of gravitational energy is different than a quantum of actualthermodynamical energy, so it becomes relevant.The mathematical methods can be applied but with the biggest relativity about enetropy.The gravitons are not rational in fact simply.The BH and dark matter are correlated.The spherical quantum and cosmological volumes can answer in fact.It is the same with c, a boson cannot ,but a spheron, particle of gravitation, in logic if my équations are correct, can.Neutrinos are bosons, gravitons also, gravitation is not a boson.They aree encoded in our nucleis in a kind of dark quantum matter where there the volumes increase towards the singularity.

Don Limuti wrote on Feb. 6, 2016 @ 06:32 GMT
Hi Steve,

Thanks for your comments. I would rephrase your last sentence to read neutrinos are bosons when they act as gravitons. I have followed deBroglie off the deep end, and also believe that neutrinos are fundamental to light where they move in such a way that they are not bosons.

There is geometry in the humming of the strings, there is music in the spacing of the spheres, and there’s life in math! Pythagoras

Don Limuti

Steve Dufourny replied on Feb. 6, 2016 @ 09:14 GMT
Hi Don,

You are welcome.The neutrinos are bosons and are probably correct ,that said , the graviton in my line of reasoning, no.Gravitation is different it seems to me humbly.We live indeed Inside a beautiful universal music of improvement.....They turn, they dance, they polarise, they evolve, they sing these rotating sphères.The partitioning is relevant....

Best Regards

elena gilbert wrote on Mar. 24, 2016 @ 17:25 GMT
Buy Data Based Genuine Registered Passports,Id Cards( pvc),Driver's Licenses/Intl Driving Permit,Visas,Resident Permit Cards,Green Cards,Passport Cards,Birth Certificates,College degrees,School Certificates,IELTS, TOEFL, ESOL All English Language Certificates,Training Certificates,Attestations,Private Cards,Student Cards,Diplomas,SSN,Marriage Certificates,Credit Cards,Counterfeit Money,Clear...

view entire post

Quantum Antigravity wrote on Apr. 17, 2017 @ 23:17 GMT
EXPERIMENTAL quantum Anti-gravity — https://quantumantigravity.wordpress.com

I have made a theoretical as well as an empirical scientific discovery

of quantum gravity and quantum antigravity.

Present day quantum gravity theories suffer from

too many mathematical space dimensions, and from

too few conclusive experimental results.

My hypothesis is simple, clear,

and subject to easy empirical verification :

https://quantumantigravity.wordpress.com

Should you have any questions or need clarification,

I am more than happy to answer.

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.