Search FQXi

If you have an idea for a blog post or a new forum thread, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org, with a summary of the topic and its source (e.g., an academic paper, conference talk, external blog post or news item).
Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the blogger are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Akinbo Ojo: on 7/21/15 at 10:00am UTC, wrote Congratulations to the grant awardees. I hope something substantial and...

Brendan Foster: on 7/20/15 at 16:59pm UTC, wrote This past winter, FQXi announced it's fifth Large Grant program, on the...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Georgina Woodward: " Harry Beck's 'Tube' map" in Physics of the Observer -...

DURGA DATTA.: "Balloon inside balloon theory , which we also call parallel universes do..." in The End of Time

DURGA DATTA.: "Balloon inside balloon theory , which we also call parallel universes do..." in The End of Time

Georgina Woodward: "Bohmian mechanics is an attempt to incorporate Beables to make something..." in Physics of the Observer -...

DURGA DATTA.: "Gravity is not a potential or a field . Neither it is fundamental or..." in In Search of a Quantum...

Steve Dufourny: "Calm and quietly now steve ,not like before when I was not well..." in Does Quantum Weirdness...

Steve Dufourny: "This team agaisnt me has forgotten several foundamental parameters about..." in Does Quantum Weirdness...

Steve Dufourny: "I have never said that I had stopped my account.I have an important contact..." in Wrinkles in Spacetime

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

In Search of a Quantum Spacetime
Finding the universe's wavefunction could be the key to understanding the emergence of reality.

Collapsing Physics: Q&A with Catalina Oana Curceanu
Tests of a rival to quantum theory, taking place in the belly of the Gran Sasso d'Italia mountain, could reveal how the fuzzy subatomic realm of possibilities comes into sharp macroscopic focus.

Dropping Schrödinger's Cat Into a Black Hole
Combining gravity with the process that transforms the fuzzy uncertainty of the quantum realm into the definite classical world we see around us could lead to a theory of quantum gravity.

Does Quantum Weirdness Arise When Parallel Classical Worlds Repel?
Quantum mechanics could derive from subtle interactions among unseen neighboring universes

Wrinkles in Spacetime
Searching for defects in the fabric of the cosmos could help physicists home in on the correct theory of quantum gravity.

FQXi BLOGS
June 28, 2016

CATEGORY: Blog [back]
TOPIC: The Physics of What Happens Grantees [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

FQXi Administrator Brendan Foster wrote on Jul. 20, 2015 @ 16:59 GMT
This past winter, FQXi announced it's fifth Large Grant program, on the topic of The Physics of What Happens – a call for proposals for research and outreach projects on "Events". I am happy to announce that from an initial group of almost 250 proposals, we now have the list of 20 grantees. You may view the list here. These grants will give the research teams funding for the next two years, starting September 2015.

The total amount given out comes to $1.85M. This is a relatively tiny amount in the world of physics, especially considering that this is an international grant program. This fact means that, while our review panel ultimately preferred these 20, many of the other proposals were excellent, worthy projects, which we would gladly support if we had the funds.

For the sake of discussion, I’d like to mention a few research themes that showed up in multiple applications, possibly suggesting the directions that many researchers are looking these days. These hot topics include:

1. Nonlocality (i.e. Is an event defined by what happens in multiple locations?).

2. The Nature of Causality in a quatum world.

3. Noncontextuality, possibly as the prime indicator of quantum-ness (above the previous favorite, entanglement).

We again congratulate our new grantees. We also thank everyone who applied, especially those who were invited to submit full proposals, which took a great deal of time and resources to prepare. We wish to offer another round of grants in the near future, and we wish everyone will take a chance to apply.

this post has been edited by the forum administrator

report post as inappropriate

Akinbo Ojo wrote on Jul. 21, 2015 @ 10:00 GMT
Congratulations to the grant awardees. I hope something substantial and rewarding to the physics community comes out of these huge sums. I do not have a grant but will continue my own research independently. I will however want some of the awardees to consider spending some time and money on this my postulate:

the non-zero dimensional point does not have an eternal existence, but can...

view entire post

this post has been edited by the author since its original submission

report post as inappropriate

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:

And select the letter between 'X' and 'Z':

Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.