Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Pentcho Valev: on 4/22/16 at 16:28pm UTC, wrote Almost Obvious Violation of the Second Law of Thermodynamics When a...

Pentcho Valev: on 4/16/16 at 15:50pm UTC, wrote Daniel Sheehan: "The second law of thermodynamics is considered by most...

Steve Dufourny: on 4/8/16 at 10:09am UTC, wrote Irritating to be hacked on LinkedIn ,I become parano.I am coscious of the...

Steve Dufourny: on 4/8/16 at 10:00am UTC, wrote The strategy of the theory of game is not bad.Interesting in fact to see...

Steve Dufourny: on 4/3/16 at 18:00pm UTC, wrote The real relevance is to know that this infinite entropy is disponible...

Steve Dufourny: on 4/3/16 at 17:50pm UTC, wrote The real understqnding of entropy is there.If this entropy creates in my...

Steve Dufourny: on 4/3/16 at 17:45pm UTC, wrote Several thinkers has thought about the reversibility at macrocospic...

Steve Dufourny: on 4/3/16 at 17:31pm UTC, wrote and PV=nRT also you are going to critic it? Am I in a dream or what ?

FQXi FORUM
March 25, 2017

ARTICLE: The Quantum Thermodynamic Revolution [back to article]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Grumpy wrote on May. 21, 2015 @ 03:27 GMT
BrillouinEnergy's explanation for LENR posits an endothermic proton capturing an electron to form an ultra cold neuron when the system has 780kev available. PNNL supercomputer simulations agree this should happen. But a good quantum thermo theory could also help.

At least Occam's Razor selects that theory because it explains more of the known LENR effects than Widom-Larsen.

report post as inappropriate

Steve Agnew wrote on May. 24, 2015 @ 22:06 GMT
This sounds like a good Ph.D. project or a starter project, but why not go for the gold? Science desperately needs a microscopic decay of some sort.

"The systems we are building are getting smaller and smaller," says Oppenheim. Nanoscale devices, biological motors and quantum computers are just some of the tiny technologies we are trying to perfect. How does thermodynamics work on this quantum level? Oppenheim has recently been awarded an FQXi grant of over $60,000 to investigate."

"It turns out there are rules of thermodynamics for quantum systems," says Oppenheim. Rather than thinking of the second law as the notion that entropy always increases in a closed system, Oppenheim prefers to picture it as stating that the "free energy" always decreases."

"Explaining how thermodynamics works on the quantum scale is surely a key step in developing the technologies of tomorrow."

Thermodynamics is all about a reversible micro scale that ends up irreversible at the macro scale, a result of chaos. So, starting from the completely reversivle micro scale, you end up having to invent a new micro microscopic irreversibility, i.e. a free energy that is always decreasing, in order to get your nice microscopic machines to provide work between two atom reservoirs.

Are there such machines? How about the neural computer that we call our brain? Quantum computers should be coming. The squid coils of graivty Casmir effect should also show that slow decay. The scourge of photosynthesis has always been the large amount of free energy that nature wastes in getting the photon energy to point to the desired product.

A very slow matter decay over time would provide a nice free energy driver for getting these confused reversible micromachines to work in the right direction.

James A Putnam wrote on May. 24, 2015 @ 23:00 GMT
"It says the entropy (disorder) of a closed system always increases. "

Good. That qualification of "(disorder)" clarifies that this is not the real original entropy defined by Clausius. Clausius' entropy remains unexplained. The difference is important. Clausius' thermodynamic entropy does not increase in a closed system.

James Putnam

James A Putnam replied on May. 25, 2015 @ 21:05 GMT
In my message above, I stated that Clausius' thermodynamic entropy remains unexplained. I meant unexplained officially by physicists. I have explained it here and other places. As I have previously stated here temperature is an artificially indefinable property. Theoretical physicists arbitrarily declared it to be indefinable and it remains an undefined property to this day except at my website. After I defined mass, the definition for temperature followed easily. One must know the definition of temperature, defined directly from its empirical evidence, in order to learn what Clausius' thermodynamic entropy is. This is important because his entropy is the original real entropy that truly does represent, mathematically, the second law of thermodynamics.

James Putnam

Pentcho Valev wrote on May. 25, 2015 @ 15:21 GMT
Entropy Always Increases : Not Even Wrong

The version of the second law of thermodynamics known as "Entropy always increases" (which, according to A. Eddington, holds "the supreme position among the laws of Nature") is actually a theorem deduced by Clausius in 1865:

Jos Uffink, Bluff your Way in the Second Law of Thermodynamics, p. 37: "Hence we obtain: THE ENTROPY PRINCIPLE...

view entire post

Joe Fisher wrote on May. 27, 2015 @ 14:18 GMT
Of course even the best made quantum computers cannot actually transmute a piece of lead into a piece of gold. But even the cheapest quantum computer can produce every bit of information that has ever been mentioned about a piece of lead and a piece of gold within seconds.

Joe Fisher

Anonymous wrote on Jun. 21, 2015 @ 19:06 GMT
Even without quantum mechanics, thermodynamic laws are incomplete. They do not explain relation between quantity of heat transferred and rise in temperature.

Steve Dufourny replied on Aug. 5, 2015 @ 15:57 GMT
Hi dear anonymous,

all is deterministic in fact and objective respecting the thermodynamic laws.

Have you already thought about rotating quantum spheres and cosmological spheres and the universal sphere.

Incomplete yes but ....

Regards

Steve

Pentcho Valev wrote on Jan. 26, 2016 @ 00:29 GMT
Against the Second Law of Thermodynamics

https://www.scientificexploration.org/edgescience/24

Daniel P. Sheehan, Beyond the Second Law of Thermodynamics: "These culminated in 2012–13 with a series of laboratory experiments that showed true second law breakdown. The demonstration was straightforward. A small, closed, high- temperature cavity contained two metal catalysts (rhenium...

view entire post

Pentcho Valev replied on Jan. 26, 2016 @ 00:50 GMT
The dissociation-association reaction above is:

A = B + C

A dissociates into B and C, and B and C recombine to give A.

Pentcho Valev

Georgina Woodward replied on Jan. 26, 2016 @ 03:34 GMT
Hi Pentcho,

thank you for your post, an interesting new tack for you.

Pentcho Valev replied on Jan. 28, 2016 @ 11:13 GMT
A perpetual motion machine of the second kind published in a prestigious journal and no reaction at all from the scientific community:

http://scitation.aip.org/content/aip/journal/apl/103/16/10.1
063/1.4825269

Electricity generated from ambient heat across a silicon surface, Guoan Tai, Zihan Xu, and Jinsong Liu, Appl. Phys. Lett. 103, 163902 (2013): "We report generation of...

view entire post

Pentcho Valev wrote on Jan. 30, 2016 @ 19:27 GMT
Another perpetual motion machine of the second kind:

Self-Charged Graphene Battery Harvests Electricity from Thermal Energy of the Environment, Zihan Xu et al: "Moreover, the thermal velocity of ions can be maintained by the external environment, which means it is unlimited. However, little study has been reported on converting the ionic thermal energy into electricity. Here we present a graphene device with asymmetric electrodes configuration to capture such ionic thermal energy and convert it into electricity. (...) To exclude the possibility of chemical reaction, we performed control experiments... (...) In conclusion, we could not find any evidences that support the opinion that the induced voltage came from chemical reaction. The mechanism for electricity generation by graphene in solution is a pure physical process..."

No reaction from the scientific community, except that UCLA researchers present the discovery as their own:

"...scientists in Hong Kong built a graphene battery that turns ambient heat into electric current. This technology was picked up by UCLA researchers who claimed this same discovery as their own, seen in the video below:

The Super Supercapacitor"

Pentcho Valev

Steve Dufourny replied on Jan. 30, 2016 @ 21:28 GMT
Hi Mr Valev,

The perpetual motion is relevant.I amasking me if it is possible in space.In logic ,the gravitation and the perpetualmotion are linked, after all our quantum and cosmologicalspheres turn in a dance of perpetual motions in evolution of complexification due to bosonic encodings and gravitational.If we want.If we xant to check a kind ofartificial gravitation due to a rotation in space, so we can check th gravition Inside a kind of space ship in rotation.The rotaion and the gravitation are correlated.If we arrive to give the energy for this rotation in space, so we can check this gravitation in creating a kind of g in space.The rotation can be perpetual , only an energy at the beginning is necessary in fact.The perpetualmotion is everywhere in us, around us,above us, everywhere this gravitation is an universal equilibrium correlated with this graviation at all scales.The rotations, the sphères, the gravitation are foundamentals simply.This force can be checked withtherotating sphères.We can utilise the energy of gravitation like we utilise the electromagnetic and thermodynamical energy.It is just a different mechanicbut linked with these rotating sphères.The internatinal space station can be improved with the rotation implying this artificialgravity Inside the space ship .The microgravity and zero gravity are not relevant for our naturalequilibriums, biological mainly.Rotations, pressions, volumesbecome essential likeisessentialthe intrinsic biosphere for the autarcy of the system, composting adding to vegetal multiplication are essentials also and the recycling of water.The rotations can be utlised forthe energy also more other adds.

Pentcho Valev replied on Jan. 31, 2016 @ 22:36 GMT
"Graphene Converts Heat Into Electricity. The team--led by Prof Ian Kinloch, Prof Robert Freer, and Yue Lin--added a small amount of graphene to strontium titanium oxide. The resulting composite was able to convert heat that would otherwise be wasted into an electric current over a broad temperature range, beginning at room temperature."

"Beginning at room temperature"? And no cold body to provide the temperature gradient? Then this is a violation of the second law of thermodynamics par excellence. The implication is that any writing based on the concept of entropy is not even wrong. Einstein's 1905 paper on the photoelectric effect is an example.

Pentcho Valev

Pentcho Valev wrote on Mar. 8, 2016 @ 22:29 GMT
"Ultrasmall engines bend second law of thermodynamics (...) Over the last few decades, physicists have gradually explored heat flow at the quantum level, intrigued by the possibility of finding violations of thermodynamics’ second law. So far, the second law has held strong."

It hasn't. There are violations even at the macroscopic level, some published in prestigious journals. See my comments on the paper.

Pentcho Valev

Pentcho Valev replied on Apr. 3, 2016 @ 14:49 GMT
Either the second law of thermodynamics is false or life on Earth did not emerge spontaneously, by an evolutionary process (or both). That is what this article quite convincingly suggests:

Granville Sewell: The Common Sense Law of Physics

Pentcho Valev

Steve Dufourny replied on Apr. 3, 2016 @ 17:13 GMT
let's rebegin quietly .Show me your postulate against the second law.Prove us in live with the good settings, the good substitutatings.....show me the experiment with the détails where we see a violation of this law?You can even utilize the Riemann Zeta Functions with x=pi.Explain in an experiment where we have this viloation?With what kind of machine and experiment ?How are the Tools utilised for these experiments?Life is a reasult of evolution and the gravitation is a different force than with our standard model.So it is not a violation.

Steve Dufourny replied on Apr. 3, 2016 @ 17:26 GMT
In all thermodynamical process , general or local ,we shall have always this increasing entropy.It is logic.It is foundamental,at all scales being Under the special relativity and the standard model.If you said us that this second law is not violated but that we have a bridge in condensed matter near the planck scale and the zero absolute.There I can agree because this gravitation is a different force than our themo.But if you rest in the special relativity with bosons fermion, baryons and c , never you can have a violation.Furthermore I beleive strogly that even for this gravitation, we have an irreversibility considering the entropy.It is logic in fact.Carnot should agree and Boltzman also.

Steve Dufourny wrote on Apr. 8, 2016 @ 10:00 GMT
The strategy of the theory of game is not bad.Interesting in fact to see the persons coming and going on on this Platform.It is sad ,my LinkedIn is hacked, the platforms and the sciences loose their meaning.Always this monney , the team and the vanity and the notority and this credibility for funds and investmenys.It is sad simply.FQXI please sort the bad persons Inside your systems please.The fact to eat all at the same time is relevant, that said I am not going to eat with a murder for example, it is simple in fact.Some persons understand the relativity , othersno, some persons understand entropy,others no.So the problem , global is very serious.Ijust say the truth in fact.There are a big problem Inside the sciencescommunity.It is time to sort and be rational dear thinkers.This Platform is not aplay, but a Platform of sharing of sciences.FQXI merits a good team, universal and deterministic and rational.Mr Aguire, Mr Tegmark and friends of the future of lifesinstitute, be universal and rational,just.The rest is vain after all.Spherically yours dear Jedis of the SPHERE.and don't say me that lie algebras are relevant for the theory of everything.It is found in fact , just a part is found but the road is given ....

Steve Dufourny replied on Apr. 8, 2016 @ 10:09 GMT
Irritating to be hacked on LinkedIn ,I become parano.I am coscious of the potential of my works at short ,middle and long term but it beomes bizarre and irritating.I have people who checks and searchs my communications.

Pentcho Valev wrote on Apr. 16, 2016 @ 15:50 GMT
Daniel Sheehan: "The second law of thermodynamics is considered by most engineers and scientists to be the supreme law of Nature, unbreakable even in principle. Over the last 20 years, however, a silent revolution has begun in the thermodynamics community that has pierced its veil of inviolability. More than two dozen challenges have been advanced into the refereed scientific literature, and...

view entire post

Pentcho Valev wrote on Apr. 22, 2016 @ 16:28 GMT
Almost Obvious Violation of the Second Law of Thermodynamics

When a constant-charge parallel-plate capacitor is immersed in a liquid dielectric, e.g. water, a mysterious pressure emerges between the plates, pushes them apart and so counteracts their electrostatic attraction:

"However, in experiments in which a capacitor is submerged in a dielectric liquid the force per unit area...

view entire post

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:

And select the letter between 'R' and 'T':

Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.