Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Current Essay Contest

Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

Previous Contests

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fnd.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Jonathan Dickau: on 3/20/15 at 3:14am UTC, wrote Thanks for sharing this Marni, As usual, you bring a perspective it's hard...

Edwin Klingman: on 3/13/15 at 18:00pm UTC, wrote Dear Marni Dee Sheppeard, Since MacLane and Birkhoff I have avoided the...

Michael Rios: on 3/10/15 at 6:15am UTC, wrote Marni It's a pleasure to read an essay from you. Charge quantization...

lutz kayser: on 3/8/15 at 3:07am UTC, wrote Dear Marni Dee, what you explain is for me a surprising and refreshing...

Marni Sheppeard: on 3/7/15 at 21:51pm UTC, wrote Essay Abstract Category theory is a type of mathematics that...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

adel sadeq: "Victor I think Tegmark had some theory in mind that resembles..." in What Is...

Joe Fisher: "Dear Anthony Aguirre, The mission of the Foundational Questions Institute..." in FQXi's New Large Grant...

Suhani Mahajan: "I am a attractive female for pleasurable and delight service in only on..." in Is the Past Infinite?

thuy lien: "9 THINGS WE WERE SEEN FROM RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2 TRAILER ROCKSTAR HAVE US..." in Collapsing Physics: Q&A...

Anthony Aguirre: "Our mission at FQXi has always been to push boundaries, and to try to focus..." in FQXi's New Large Grant...

John Cox: "Victor, I have reread your post and still find agreement. Realism vs...." in What Is...

Anonymous: "hello Bob" in The Complexity Conundrum

shery williams: "Office Setup is the full suite of Microsoft productivity software that..." in Are We Merging With Our...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

The Complexity Conundrum
Resolving the black hole firewall paradox—by calculating what a real astronaut would compute at the black hole's edge.

Quantum Dream Time
Defining a ‘quantum clock’ and a 'quantum ruler' could help those attempting to unify physics—and solve the mystery of vanishing time.

Our Place in the Multiverse
Calculating the odds that intelligent observers arise in parallel universes—and working out what they might see.

Sounding the Drums to Listen for Gravity’s Effect on Quantum Phenomena
A bench-top experiment could test the notion that gravity breaks delicate quantum superpositions.

Watching the Observers
Accounting for quantum fuzziness could help us measure space and time—and the cosmos—more accurately.

FQXi FORUM
December 17, 2017

CATEGORY: Trick or Truth Essay Contest (2015) [back]
TOPIC: On the Origin of Unreasonable Abstraction by Marni Dee Sheppeard [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Marni Dee Sheppeard wrote on Mar. 7, 2015 @ 21:51 GMT
Essay Abstract

Category theory is a type of mathematics that challenges us to rethink fundamental ideas about numbers, as experimental outcomes. Essential to quantum field theory, its role in gravity remains elusive. Such nonsense is introduced under the assumptions that (i) unification is a valid goal for physics and (ii) relativistic causality holds for local observables. Is fermionic spin analogous to Boolean truth? If so, we should remember that whatever is divided is also non separable, and this ultimate reality cares nought for all our vanity.

Author Bio

Marni grew up in Sydney and completed her BSc(Hons) in Physics in 1989. After years of tutoring, research and working in the real world, she returned to study in the 1990s, but was unfortunately forced to give it up again. Marni finally completed her PhD in Theoretical Physics in 2007, with a thesis on Quantum Logic. She currently resides in Auckland, and apologises for being unable to participate in online discussions.

Download Essay PDF File

lutz kayser wrote on Mar. 8, 2015 @ 03:07 GMT
Dear Marni Dee,

what you explain is for me a surprising and refreshing upgrade of the Standard model of QM. You return to the fact, that we can give every ponderable object a flag and recognise it when required. This gives us hope that one day we can begin to understand QM.

Help us to end the frustration Longo described : "We understand QM when we have understood that there is nothing to understand".

Best

Lutz

report post as inappropriate

Michael Rios wrote on Mar. 10, 2015 @ 06:15 GMT
Marni

It's a pleasure to read an essay from you. Charge quantization indeed forces one into the countable. This allows lattices to play a more central role, and by doing quantum mechanics in this integral form, many (once murky) mathematical relationships become manifest.

Your linear topos thesis foreshadowed much of the motivic amplitude results one sees today. In such amplitudes particles are assigned to projective space points, which are idempotent morphisms in a magma-like structure.

Suppose we scatter n-(indistinguishable bosonic) particles and study the MHV amplitude in CP^3. Geometrically, the n-particles localize on a single copy of the projective space, on a curve of some given degree and genus. Any given individual particle is equivalent to another particle through an isometry that maps an idempotent to another idempotent. This is a higher level morphism, mapping idempotents to each other.

Going higher, one can map projective lines, or degree one genus zero curves to each other via collineations. It takes two idempotents to define a line, hence such morphisms map pairs of idempotents. By induction, in complex projective n-space, one can envision ever higher levels of k-idempotent maps, which map hyperplanes to each other. This is where the Grassmannian structure becomes obvious, and combinatorial structures like the amplituhedron organize the hyperplane configurations quite effectively.

Edwin Eugene Klingman wrote on Mar. 13, 2015 @ 18:00 GMT
Dear Marni Dee Sheppeard,

Since MacLane and Birkhoff I have avoided the square logic map diagrams, but I nevertheless managed to find quite interesting remarks in your essay.

Your abstract states "all we can really do is count." I begin my essay (and other essays) based on counting as the prototypical logic machine, constructed from NOTs and AND 'gates' which are ubiquitous in physical reality and manifest at all levels, RNA/DNA/proteins to telomeres, to insects, crows, neurons, silicon, etc. It is also the case that the key quantum field theory operator is the Number operator, or counter. So, with Kronecker, counting seems to be the sufficient basis for "all the rest" of math.

You note of the Standard Model, which is poorly understood, that enormous effort went into maintaining locality, while quantum physics would abandon it. My essay offers a novel analysis of this problem, which a recent comment on my thread describes as having a "self-concealing nature", thus making it extremely hard for physicists to see the error in logic. It is not a mathematical error, but a mapping error.

I do not believe classical physics requires distinguishability of particles as you seem to suggest, although, as you further suggest "for truly non-separable concept of existence, we must reinterpret the continuum of C."

I'm sure I've missed some of the more subtle issues of your essay, but I hope you will read my essay and try to understand the subtlety within it.

Best regards,

Edwin Eugene Klingman

Jonathan J. Dickau wrote on Mar. 20, 2015 @ 03:14 GMT
Thanks for sharing this Marni,

As usual, you bring a perspective it's hard to find anywhere else.

Regards,

Jonathan

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.