Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the blogger are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Jason Wolfe: on 7/29/10 at 20:54pm UTC, wrote I never liked rap either. But I like this song. Well done.

#SatelliteOLliUT: on 7/29/10 at 19:57pm UTC, wrote Get It Here SatelliteDirect Tv Website. Get Up To 3,500+ HD...

paul valletta: on 8/12/08 at 9:46am UTC, wrote One has to admire the effort, and ask's the question what came first the...

Anonymous: on 8/9/08 at 15:53pm UTC, wrote This was somewhat amusing and educating. Speaking of Doppler effect,...

Zeeya Merali: on 8/7/08 at 9:30am UTC, wrote Thanks. I've corrected the post.

Anonymous: on 8/6/08 at 15:14pm UTC, wrote Kaća is a girl.

Maox: on 8/5/08 at 23:48pm UTC, wrote That was.. Horrible. Hooorriibblle... Atrocious. It was physically painful...

Monica: on 8/3/08 at 10:51am UTC, wrote Love the rap. At last I understand...they should have taught science like...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Jonathan Dickau: "And I should add this... The nature and origin of time is the one area of..." in Wandering Towards a Goal:...

Jonathan Dickau: "Dear Lorraine... It is too easy to blur the issues through multiple..." in Wandering Towards a Goal:...

Robert McEachern: "All physical structures generate electromagnetic fields, in addition to..." in The Reality of the...

Robert McEachern: "Bell's theorem is based on a false premise, that was noted 40 years ago, by..." in The Reality of the...

Joe Fisher: "Dear Gary, There am only one visible singular unified infinite surface..." in Alternative Models of...

Gary Simpson: "All, This post and its attachment concern the basis for conservation of..." in Alternative Models of...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Watching the Observers
Accounting for quantum fuzziness could help us measure space and time—and the cosmos—more accurately.

Bohemian Reality: Searching for a Quantum Connection to Consciousness
Is there are sweet spot where artificial intelligence systems could have the maximum amount of consciousness while retaining powerful quantum properties?

Quantum Replicants: Should future androids dream of quantum sheep?
To build the ultimate artificial mimics of real life systems, we may need to use quantum memory.

Painting a QBist Picture of Reality
A radical interpretation of physics makes quantum theory more personal.

The Spacetime Revolutionary
Carlo Rovelli describes how black holes may transition to "white holes," according to loop quantum gravity, a radical rewrite of fundamental physics.

FQXi BLOGS
July 27, 2017

CATEGORY: Blog [back]
TOPIC: The LHC rap! [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

FQXi Administrator Zeeya Merali wrote on Aug. 2, 2008 @ 16:13 GMT
Yes, you read the title correctly. It’s a rap. And it’s about the LHC.

I’ve often thought that physicists should rap more. OK, that’s a lie, I’ve never thought that. But after seeing the brilliant LHC rap, by science writer Katie McAlpine based at CERN, I’ve changed my mind. A small amount of digging reveals she’s not the only one to combine physics and rap.

Even FQXi director Max Tegmark had an April-Foolish go at immortalizing Einstein’s relativity in song, to the tune of The Beatles’ “Yellow Submarine,” earlier this year. Sadly it was eclipsed by Mariah Carey’s chart-topping homage to Einstein also released that month. Bad timing.

Maybe physics really does need more music. After all, Boston University’s Kaca Bradonjic reckons physicists could put on the best concerts. In a recent paper in the American Journal of Physics, she suggested exploiting the Doppler effect to change the mood of the music heard by the listener. Sending the listener speeding off relative to the source of the music could shift a happy sounding major chord to a sad sounding minor chord, depending on the observer’s velocity.

So, will “Physics: The Musical,” an interactive extravaganza with the audience whizzing around the room to particle-physics raps and modified Beatles’ songs, all sung by Mariah Carey, soon hit Broadway?

(Image: CERN)

this post has been edited by the forum administrator

report post as inappropriate

Monica wrote on Aug. 3, 2008 @ 10:51 GMT
Love the rap. At last I understand...they should have taught science like that when I was at school, I'd have paid a lot more attention!

Maox wrote on Aug. 5, 2008 @ 23:48 GMT
That was.. Horrible. Hooorriibblle... Atrocious. It was physically painful to listen to. Thumbs up for the effort, but don't quit your day job. (As a well-paid ultra-physicist with the power to annihilate mankind with the flick of a switch. Good luck with that btw)

Anonymous wrote on Aug. 6, 2008 @ 15:14 GMT
Kaća is a girl.

FQXi Administrator Zeeya Merali wrote on Aug. 7, 2008 @ 09:30 GMT
Thanks. I've corrected the post.

Anonymous wrote on Aug. 9, 2008 @ 15:53 GMT
This was somewhat amusing and educating. Speaking of Doppler effect, Dopplereffekt is more like my bag. Check out thier entry on Discogs, note the 'Linear Accelerator' and 'Calabi Yau Space' releases and artwork. There's also a link to a myspace fan-site if you want hear what they sounds like. In my opinion aesthetically well in tune with the LHC.

paul valletta wrote on Aug. 12, 2008 @ 09:46 GMT
One has to admire the effort, and ask's the question what came first the music or the lyrics?...one has to first create the background (music I believe?), and then the 'creativeness' of the lyrics evole into song, great effort, it's not C-rap (CERN-RAP ! sorry: )...but I would call it a quality B-Rap :) great.

#SatelliteOLliUT wrote on Jul. 29, 2010 @ 19:57 GMT
[url=http://075fcltjbhxbb0a3vsre59azdh.hop.clickbank.net/]Ge
t It Here[/url]

SatelliteDirect Tv Website. Get Up To 3,500+ HD Channels On Your Computer For A Small One-Time Fee Unlimited Usage.

[url=http://075fcltjbhxbb0a3vsre59azdh.hop.clickbank.n
et/]Get It Here[/url]

About few years you become reaching the 3.500 tv channels on the internet so; show that Satellite Direct software technology develop quickly day to day. How do you use that technology? You can use your cable with your satellite Tv then

Jason Wolfe wrote on Jul. 29, 2010 @ 20:54 GMT
I never liked rap either. But I like this song. Well done.

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.