Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Ian Harris: on 9/11/14 at 19:38pm UTC, wrote Dear Mr. Marsden, I really enjoyed your video and found it to be Very...

Ian Harris: on 9/11/14 at 19:15pm UTC, wrote Dear Mr. Marsden, I really enjoyed your video and found it to be Very...

Matthew Marsden: on 9/11/14 at 8:52am UTC, wrote Hi Teresa, nice to hear from you again, i tried to vote on your video,...

Matthew Marsden: on 9/11/14 at 7:48am UTC, wrote Hi Adam, Thank you very much for that, I may try ad do some more lego at...

Adam Washington: on 9/11/14 at 7:01am UTC, wrote Dear Mr. Marsden, I thought the lego animation was absolutely great, so I...

Sorana Stoica: on 9/10/14 at 9:08am UTC, wrote Your video is very interesting, and I loved the Lego part! My video is A...

Lyle Moss: on 9/10/14 at 2:51am UTC, wrote Dear Matt, I wish to congratulate you for putting into precise and...

Teresa Mendes: on 9/9/14 at 17:05pm UTC, wrote Hi Mattew That is exactly what I am saying. Local realism. Everything like...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Georgina Woodward: "Joe, I can not comment infinitely as I am a finite being with finite..." in Quantum Dream Time

Joe Fisher: "Dear Georgina, Which came first, reality, or humanly contrived abstract..." in Quantum Dream Time

BASILEIOS GRISPOS: "What a nice topic this is. I am expecting to read some nice essays from all..." in What Is...

alice paul: "All data here is unfamiliar to me. I think Really weird. I think you have..." in Hyung Choi and the nature...

alice paul: "your link text" in Hyung Choi and the nature...

alice paul: "All data here is unfamiliar to me. I think Really weird. I think you have..." in Are We Merging With Our...

shery williams: "Kaspersky technical errors that are harming your device and its..." in Are We Merging With Our...

Lena Smith: "Though every Canon printer is manufactured with utmost proficiency, but it..." in Conjuring a Neutron Star...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Quantum Dream Time
Defining a ‘quantum clock’ and a 'quantum ruler' could help those attempting to unify physics—and solve the mystery of vanishing time.

Our Place in the Multiverse
Calculating the odds that intelligent observers arise in parallel universes—and working out what they might see.

Sounding the Drums to Listen for Gravity’s Effect on Quantum Phenomena
A bench-top experiment could test the notion that gravity breaks delicate quantum superpositions.

Watching the Observers
Accounting for quantum fuzziness could help us measure space and time—and the cosmos—more accurately.

Bohemian Reality: Searching for a Quantum Connection to Consciousness
Is there are sweet spot where artificial intelligence systems could have the maximum amount of consciousness while retaining powerful quantum properties?

FQXi FORUM
November 23, 2017

CATEGORY: Show Me the Physics! Video Contest (2014) [back]
TOPIC: Does Time exist? How 'Time travel Paradoxes' can't happen without "the past". by Matthew Welcome Marsden [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Matthew Marsden wrote on Aug. 22, 2014 @ 18:19 GMT
Video Image

Video URL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSJ8A-w78xM

Video Description

This feature video explores the possibility that perhaps matter just existing, moving and interacting may be enough to *mislead* us into thinking how a “past, “future” and thus thing called “time” may exist. It carefully, scientifically, and logically examines where our conventional and widely accepted reasoning may seem sound, but contain false assumptions and gaps in logic and observations, leaving “TIME” as possibly just being a very useful system for understanding and comparing “examples of complex, to , regular *motion*” . And, how just calling one example of motion, “time”, is not enough to prove there is such a thing, or that ‘time’ is needed or observed where motion occurs. The essence and proven aspects of relativity are embraced, but with its (imo) unseen and unproven aspects (e.g. time – travel) brought sharply into question, and an alternative workable interpretation described. M.Marsden (auth - a brief history of timelessness).

Video Creator Bio

Matt (welcome) Marsden, is a stand up, and science geek, his "“A Brief History of Timelessness” eBook website and Youtubes attempt to explain and explore (open mindedly) a question and possibility that no other expert on "time" seems to have considered. Let alone considered and dismissed or otherwise. The key question addressed being "if matter –just- exists, moves, interacts and changes.... including the matter in our own minds... would this be enough to mislead us into thinking a "temporal" past, and thus a thing called time might actually "exist"? the analysis is not "metaphysical" or "philosophical" or "semantics", but based on di

Matthew Marsden wrote on Aug. 22, 2014 @ 20:50 GMT
Hi FQXI Contest viewers,

If you have any questions concerning the meaning of the "timeless" possibility I am suggesting, just post a comment.

Matt Marsden

(A brief history of timelessness)

Teresa Mendes replied on Aug. 23, 2014 @ 22:02 GMT
Hi Matthew

1 hour movie? You are testing our limits, hehe.

But in fact I did see it all and did enjoy it very much ...

You have a very local realistic way of looking at Time, only 3 spatial dimensions, and time as just a referencial.

Well done !

Good luck in the contest.

Matthew Marsden replied on Sep. 7, 2014 @ 12:54 GMT
Hi Teresa,

Just a quick note of 11 dimensional string theory, I know virtually nothing about string theory – only what I have read in the odd article etc – however I understand that the concept of extra spatial dimensions is such that the inverse square law of interactions tailing off with distance is modified so as to fit with certina observations.

e.g. if I am correct – in 3 dimensions forces (like radiation, gravity etc) tail off at a rate of 1/r^2

in 4 spatial dimensions this would be 1/r^3, and so on ( e.g. n dimensions leads to 1/r^n-1 ).

ALL, that I am suggesting, is that every thing seems to just exist, and be moving, and interacting “now” (to use a leading term).

Many may assume that Relativity ‘proves’ time ( through time dilation), and thus my statement above must be wrong. But as I suggest a thorough look at ‘on the electrodynamics of moving bodies’ seems to show Einstein only assumes time exists – and thus relativity may only show ‘rate dialtion’ “now”.

Thus re string theory – if the 11 dimensions suggested are 3 spatial, time, and 7 others, I am just suggesting the time dimension may be completely bogus, and whatever the other 7 dimensions may be , the time dimension should be replaced with the concept of things just existing and moving, (at dilated rates, in warped space, etc depending on local circumstances), “now”.

Thus I would suggest timelessness should greatly simplify any thinking around theories like string theory – whether it is on the right track or not.

All the best, (hope you caught the other videos)

Matt

Matthew Marsden wrote on Aug. 25, 2014 @ 13:49 GMT
Hi Teresa,

Thank you for your kind words.

Yes, essentially I'm trying to point out that (according to my analysis), despite very widespread opinion, in "on the electrodynamics of moving bodies", it in no way, whatsoever seems to prove the existence of a past, a future, or thing called "time" at all !

Instead, the paper seems only to "assume" a thing called time exists, and is...

view entire post

Teresa Mendes replied on Aug. 29, 2014 @ 19:42 GMT
Hi Matthew

I found your presentation very easy to follow.

In fact your way of looking for "time" is very local realistic.

Can I ask, how to you see the relativistic space-time?

And do you have an opinion about the 10 dimensions of String Theory ?

Teresa

Matthew Marsden replied on Sep. 2, 2014 @ 11:33 GMT
Dear Teresa,

Thank you for that, I looked at your "Physics Needs A Paradigm Shift" video, but didn’t understand enough of the qm terms to really understand it.

Were you saying that because we perceive real solid objects on the classical scale we should consider matter is like this all the way down? (or did I completely misunderstand ?). I must admit I know only the...

view entire post

Teresa Mendes replied on Sep. 9, 2014 @ 17:05 GMT
Hi Mattew

That is exactly what I am saying. Local realism. Everything like the macroscopic world, chemistry, biology , even cosmology.

I will return and read your post again ... but I think we agree on the question of what is time.

(Now I have to do my "job", and promote "the scientific revolution", hehe.

I will be back.

Teresa

Lyle wayne Moss wrote on Sep. 10, 2014 @ 02:51 GMT
Dear Matt,

I wish to congratulate you for putting into precise and thoughtful language a concept that has seriously troubled me for a very long time. I am about as far removed from a physicist or mathematician as one could be (i own a little country cafe)and I'm not even sure HOW I happened to stumble onto this video, because I would never DREAM of trying to understand Relativity, let...

view entire post

Sorana Dana Stoica wrote on Sep. 10, 2014 @ 09:08 GMT
Your video is very interesting, and I loved the Lego part!

My video is A universe in a cup of water, I hope you will like it too.

I wish you success!

Victor

Adam Washington wrote on Sep. 11, 2014 @ 07:01 GMT
Dear Mr. Marsden,

I thought the lego animation was absolutely great, so I was hoping that you would've continued to utilize the lego concept through out. However, to make an hour long submission was overwhelming. I know that the creators of the contest said that they didn't want to put any time constraints on the videos, but they did recommend keeping it at 5 minutes. I can understand why. I thought the point of this contest was to attract non physic types to take an interest in physics. Therefore, when you started out with the legos, I thought great, something other then a classroom lecture on physics. I was wrong. So I wasn't able to finish watching the whole thing. I did rate it and applaud your tenacity.

When you get a chance please check out my video"The Escape - Physics & Fairytales". I took a creative approach by taking a classic fairytale about Cinderella - modernized it and then used physics to explain how Cinderella escaped from the castle. I hope you will check it out, rank it and give me your feedback. I think you'll enjoy it.

Adam

Matthew Marsden replied on Sep. 11, 2014 @ 07:48 GMT
Hi Adam,

Thank you very much for that, I may try ad do some more lego at some point, but its very slow work.

My video is long, but I am very genuinely trying to show how the universe may be genuinely timeless... ( and if it turns out so to be, to make sure people know where the analysis came from :)

Thank you for watching what you did, my other videos are signigficantly "shorter" so please check them out ( and vote ), I`ll check out "the escape" and vote on it.

"Time Travel,Timeless Answers to Prof Brian Cox's Science of Dr WHO "

http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/2243

thanks again

matt

Ian C Harris replied on Sep. 11, 2014 @ 19:15 GMT
Dear Mr. Marsden,

I really enjoyed your video and found it to be Very interesting! The progression of the presentation was very logical and ordered in its course. I was very intrigued by your perspective about time - it made me think and I like that!

If you get a chance, I'd love for you take a look at our video and tell me what you think. Please make sure to rate it too!

http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/2189

Thanks,

Ian

Ian C Harris wrote on Sep. 11, 2014 @ 19:38 GMT
Dear Mr. Marsden,

I really enjoyed your video and found it to be Very interesting! The progression of the presentation was very logical and ordered in its course. I was very intrigued by your perspective about time - it made me think and I like that!

If you get a chance, I'd love for you take a look at our video and tell me what you think. Please make sure to rate it too!

http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/2189

Thanks,

Ian

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.