Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Jonathan Dickau: on 9/26/14 at 0:50am UTC, wrote I am hoping you will have time to rate and comment on my video.. Can the...

Michael muteru: on 9/13/14 at 12:07pm UTC, wrote dear Dr steven couldnt be much more- finite but eternal.very charismatic...

Steven Ericsson-Zenith: on 9/12/14 at 20:23pm UTC, wrote Dear Jonathan, Your comments are appreciated. Regards, Steven

Jonathan Dickau: on 9/12/14 at 3:57am UTC, wrote Excellent lecture! You do a good job of showing how to stay open minded,...

Steven Ericsson-Zenith: on 9/11/14 at 0:02am UTC, wrote I'd note that the win policy here for participants is not to vote at all...

Joe Fisher: on 8/29/14 at 15:01pm UTC, wrote Dear Dr. Zenith, What I mean by visibility is the ability of one being...

Steven Ericsson-Zenith: on 8/28/14 at 18:41pm UTC, wrote I cannot make sense of your notion of visibility. Are you suggesting that...

Steven Ericsson-Zenith: on 8/26/14 at 19:13pm UTC, wrote If you plan to comment it is always wiser, in my view, to review the entire...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

kurt stocklmeir: "em drive metamaterials at 1 end that create negative radiation pressure -..." in Alternative Models of...

jiya joseph: "I guess a workshop is conducted by the people that are favorable for the..." in Schrödinger’s Cat...

mono joli: "thanks a lot for such a great topic. Scary Maze Games Basketball Legends..." in The Race to Replace the...

Joe Fisher: "Dear Dr. Brendan Foster, Of course: “We Are All Connected .” My..." in We Are All Connected

Caroline v: "Thanks for informing us about FQXi-sponsored workshop which aim was to..." in Schrödinger’s Cat...

Yelena Hopper: "Training is the way toward encouraging learning, or the procurement of..." in Wandering Towards a Goal:...

Yelena Hopper: "This article is such a pleasant and intriguing one, I'm exceptionally happy..." in We Are All Connected

Yelena Hopper: "Pushing the points of confinement of hypothesis and creative energy in..." in Review of “A Big Bang...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Our Place in the Multiverse
Calculating the odds that intelligent observers arise in parallel universes—and working out what they might see.

Sounding the Drums to Listen for Gravity’s Effect on Quantum Phenomena
A bench-top experiment could test the notion that gravity breaks delicate quantum superpositions.

Watching the Observers
Accounting for quantum fuzziness could help us measure space and time—and the cosmos—more accurately.

Bohemian Reality: Searching for a Quantum Connection to Consciousness
Is there are sweet spot where artificial intelligence systems could have the maximum amount of consciousness while retaining powerful quantum properties?

Quantum Replicants: Should future androids dream of quantum sheep?
To build the ultimate artificial mimics of real life systems, we may need to use quantum memory.

FQXi FORUM
October 18, 2017

CATEGORY: Show Me the Physics! Video Contest (2014) [back]
TOPIC: On The Origin Of Experience, The Shaping Of Sense And The Complex World by Steven Ericsson-Zenith [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Steven Ericsson-Zenith wrote on Aug. 22, 2014 @ 17:54 GMT
Video Image

Video URL

http://youtu.be/zF5Bp_YsZ3M

Video Description

25 years of biophysics imagery and information concerning the nature of senses and experience. How are we to incorporate the notion of experience into the physical sciences and how do we reason about experience mathematically?

Video Creator Bio

This is a Stanford University EE380 Lecture by Dr. Steven Ericsson-Zenith of the Institute for Advanced Science & Engineering.

Steven Ericsson-Zenith wrote on Aug. 26, 2014 @ 19:13 GMT
If you plan to comment it is always wiser, in my view, to review the entire video. The proposal is not abstract and nor is it invisible. According to the model the universe is finite but eternal. Infinity for me is a process. In this model it is the nonlocality and dynamics of flexible closed structure, the cells and membranes of the organism, that characterize particular senses and, eventually the mind.

Jonathan J. Dickau wrote on Sep. 12, 2014 @ 03:57 GMT
Excellent lecture!

You do a good job of showing how to stay open minded, and explaining how the nature of physical reality shapes our perceptions. I admittedly did not watch the whole thing yet, but what I heard and saw was entirely congruent and cogent.

All the Best,

Jonathan

Steven Ericsson-Zenith replied on Sep. 12, 2014 @ 20:23 GMT
Dear Jonathan,

Your comments are appreciated.

Regards,

Steven

Michael muteru wrote on Sep. 13, 2014 @ 12:07 GMT
dear Dr steven

couldnt be much more- finite but eternal.very charismatic just voted for yours.I too have a simple video hope you find time to view ,vote and review its about how the universe can be represented using simple geometry and the trick our brains play on us to perceive what we call reality.the video link is http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/2223.

Jonathan J. Dickau wrote on Sep. 26, 2014 @ 00:50 GMT
I am hoping you will have time to rate and comment on my video..

Can the Mandelbrot Set help us understand the Cosmos?

Regards,

Jonathan

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.