Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Henri De Roule: on 9/14/14 at 22:38pm UTC, wrote Interesting video trying to explain quantum gravity in "everyday" terms. I...

Marc Séguin: on 9/12/14 at 1:54am UTC, wrote Adam, Pedro and Gino, I am glad that your very interesting video has...

Antony Lisi: on 9/11/14 at 2:02am UTC, wrote Very authentic and well done video. Voted it up. Here's my Higgs Geometry...

Jonathan Dickau: on 9/11/14 at 1:24am UTC, wrote Hello Adam, Gino, and Pedro, Your video was enjoyable and educational. It...

Mark Prince: on 9/10/14 at 22:02pm UTC, wrote Looks like we need to help each other out contestants!!! I have given your...

andrea garza de leon: on 9/8/14 at 23:02pm UTC, wrote Hi Pedro! I really like how you were explaining physics not only by...

James Walsh: on 9/6/14 at 23:22pm UTC, wrote Hi, I thought that your video was very engaging. I can see an...

Nidahl Haddad: on 9/5/14 at 18:09pm UTC, wrote Hi there Gino, Pedro and Adam, we learned a lot in only 7:20 minutes of...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

John Cox: "Zeeya, It is past time for an overhaul to get some protection against..." in The Sudoku Universe, Why...

Zeeya Merali: "Do we live in a giant Sudoku puzzle? Are real numbers really real? Does..." in The Sudoku Universe, Why...

Georgina Woodward: "Joe, your credo has very limited explanatory power and is therefore of very..." in Quantum Dream Time

Joe Fisher: "Dear Georgina, You wrote: “I agree that there have been surfaces prior..." in Quantum Dream Time

shery williams: "Office Setup is the full suite of Microsoft productivity software that..." in Are We Merging With Our...

shery williams: "McAfee offers world-class security solutions for Windows & Mac OS as well..." in Are We Merging With Our...

Yelena Hopper: "Its a decent approach to present a few thoughts in material science yet you..." in We Are All Connected

Yelena Hopper: "There is an existence in the wake of death. Spirits and souls are genuine...." in Wandering Towards a Goal:...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Quantum Dream Time
Defining a ‘quantum clock’ and a 'quantum ruler' could help those attempting to unify physics—and solve the mystery of vanishing time.

Our Place in the Multiverse
Calculating the odds that intelligent observers arise in parallel universes—and working out what they might see.

Sounding the Drums to Listen for Gravity’s Effect on Quantum Phenomena
A bench-top experiment could test the notion that gravity breaks delicate quantum superpositions.

Watching the Observers
Accounting for quantum fuzziness could help us measure space and time—and the cosmos—more accurately.

Bohemian Reality: Searching for a Quantum Connection to Consciousness
Is there are sweet spot where artificial intelligence systems could have the maximum amount of consciousness while retaining powerful quantum properties?

FQXi FORUM
November 25, 2017

CATEGORY: Show Me the Physics! Video Contest (2014) [back]
TOPIC: Quantum Harmonies of Gravity by Adam Katcher [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Adam Katcher wrote on Aug. 12, 2014 @ 16:05 GMT
Video Image

Video URL

http://youtu.be/ZV3y2NnEeqY

Video Description

“Quantum Harmonies of Gravity” is a short film about physics. The film explores foundational questions by examining ideas from the field of quantum gravity. Connections are formed between physical concepts from gravitons to string theory to black holes. The insights developed in the film culminate in the surprising and powerful concept of “duality”. The result is a panoramic view of ideas in quantum gravity at the very foundations of physics.

Video Co-Creator(s)

Pedro Lisbão , University of Michigan Physics
Gino Knodel, University of Michigan Physics

Video Creator Bio

The creators are graduate students in physics at University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. Gino Knodel and Pedro Lisbão study theoretical physics. Pedro’s research is concerned with quantum black holes. Gino studies connections of string theory to condensed matter physics. Adam Katcher is an experimentalist in the field of quantum optics.

Vad S Bobrovski wrote on Aug. 23, 2014 @ 14:33 GMT
Hello,

========

How do these gravitons move around in space-time?

What happens if you took two gravitons and you collide them with each other?

=======

It appears that your explanations and establishment of problem are developed within the tradition of Newtonian mechanics conception. In the framework of Newtonian mechanics problem can be solved analytically only...

view entire post

Henri Vonn De Roule wrote on Sep. 2, 2014 @ 17:52 GMT
You chose a difficult subject to do a video about. String theory is still considered a backwater physics idea, but like most new ideas which challenge convention, there is enough truth to continue pursuing it. We have come so far in 200 years, but the universe is vast and we don't even know if time is real, so we have such a long way to go.

Thanks for attempting to present a difficult subject.

Anonymous wrote on Sep. 3, 2014 @ 00:14 GMT
Adam, Pedro and Gino,

Interesting video about an interesting subject, quantum gravity! Your video was a succession of "teasers", brief expositions about concepts that relate to quantum gravity --- gravitons, black hole radiation, duality with graphene --- and it made me want to know more about them, especially about duality and what it entails exactly... so it means your video was successful!

I hope your video does well in this contest. Good luck!

Marc

P.S. If you have a chance to view, comment and vote on my trilogy of videos entitled "This Is Physics" --- where I try to convey the "fun of physics" by focusing on some of the greatest moments of its history --- it would be quite appreciated!

Member Marc Séguin replied on Sep. 3, 2014 @ 00:16 GMT
The system automatically de-logs you if you wait too long before hitting "Submit Post", hence the "Anonymous"... the previous post was mine! :)

Nidahl Haddad wrote on Sep. 5, 2014 @ 18:09 GMT
Hi there Gino, Pedro and Adam,

we learned a lot in only 7:20 minutes of video and as mentioned above it seems to be a rather complex but nonetheless fascinating subject of physics.

We especially saw the parallels between the physical phenomenon and the human experience: The universe seems to have a sense of drama in the way two particles are created, bound together in their short existence to then annihilate each other. As you explained in your video, there is a tragic case where one of the particles vanished in a black hole forever and the remaining particle is all alone in a vast expanding and incredibly cold universe. All that is left is radiation surrounding it. Well, that might be an inaccurate way of thinking about quantum mechanics but it is definitely a comprehensible metaphor.

We liked your visualizations and the competence you use to explain quantum harmonies. The video definitely points out further directions of research and makes us curious about the picture of the universe we will have in the future (where viewing the world constituted of particles might seem so outdated as Rutherford's model of the atom).

We wish you good luck!

Nidahl & Madeleine

James Lyons Walsh wrote on Sep. 6, 2014 @ 23:22 GMT
Hi,

I thought that your video was very engaging. I can see an undergraduate being swayed by it to study physics. I particularly enjoyed the fact that you show physics to be a social process. The music was great, too.

If you'd be interested in rating our video as a creator, we'd be grateful. It's at http://www.fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/2206. It also has a basketball!

James

andrea ivonne garza de leon wrote on Sep. 8, 2014 @ 23:02 GMT
Hi Pedro!

I really like how you were explaining physics not only by talking but also visually,and explaining with music, music + physics = amazing, also I'm super eager to learn more about black holes so thanks for bringing the subject and talking about it!

The best of luck and keep making great videos and sharing your knowledge !

Thank you for commenting and rating my video "having fun no matter what"

Mark Edward Prince wrote on Sep. 10, 2014 @ 22:02 GMT
Looks like we need to help each other out contestants!!! I have given your video a community vote!!! Please can you do the same for mine???http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/2136

It is called "convection? Heat transfer? Who cares?"....

I hope that I can rely on you reciprocating the favour!!! Good luck!!

Jonathan J. Dickau wrote on Sep. 11, 2014 @ 01:24 GMT
Hello Adam, Gino, and Pedro,

Your video was enjoyable and educational. It was not flashy, but you effectively communicate your love of the quantum gravity subject. I hope you do well in the contest.

All the Best,

Jonathan

Member Antony Garrett Lisi wrote on Sep. 11, 2014 @ 02:02 GMT
Very authentic and well done video. Voted it up.

Here's my Higgs Geometry video if you can have a look.

http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/2154

It's tricky to present the mathematics of symmetry breaking and particle physics to a popular audience, so I do appreciate feedback on it.

Member Marc Séguin wrote on Sep. 12, 2014 @ 01:54 GMT
Adam, Pedro and Gino,

I am glad that your very interesting video has exceeded the 10 community votes threshold (I gave you my vote many days ago), and that it has a good chance to be in the top 40 that will make it to the finals!

Did you have the chance to take a look at my series of videos entitled "This Is Physics"? One of my videos, "Physics Into Darkness", is still in need of community votes, and if you have the time to take a look at it, it would be quite appreciated. It includes an image I made that attempts to illustrate the incompatibility between General Relativity and Quantum Mechanics, and you may find it interesting! (My video is released under a creative commons license CC-BY-SA, so if you ever need to re-use anything, feel free!) My video also features Einstein riding on a meter stick, an "iceberg of mystery" and a slot machine that creates universes!!! Here's the direct link:

Physics Into Darkness

Thank you, and good luck in the contest!

Marc

Henri Vonn De Roule wrote on Sep. 14, 2014 @ 22:38 GMT
Interesting video trying to explain quantum gravity in "everyday" terms. I am concerned about a couple of things you brought up, however. First, your video running in the background shows two objects (people) moving toward each other as they exchange gravitrons. What about "equal but opposite reaction"? How does quantum gravity overcome that obstacle? The other issue I have is that string theory is still controversial. I would like to have heard more about that.

Overall though I think you did a credible job.

I came into this contest with a different approach and if you have not yet, please check out my video at:http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/2257.

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.