Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Stephane Durand: on 9/27/14 at 4:01am UTC, wrote Just voted !

Michael muteru: on 9/13/14 at 11:04am UTC, wrote Hi garett First let me take this opportunity to express my honour of...

Schatzie Dudee: on 9/12/14 at 19:36pm UTC, wrote I always enjoy hearing you speak, whether it's at a TED Talk or the Science...

James Walsh: on 9/11/14 at 8:02am UTC, wrote Hi, You told me many things I didn't know and very much want to find out...

Antony Lisi: on 9/11/14 at 7:45am UTC, wrote Thanks Jonathan; good luck to you as well!

Antony Lisi: on 9/11/14 at 7:37am UTC, wrote Thanks for this review, Marc! I think you're right about the sombrero and...

Jonathan Dickau: on 9/11/14 at 3:46am UTC, wrote Well done Garrett! I think you were indeed successful at showing how...

Marc Séguin: on 9/11/14 at 3:27am UTC, wrote Garrett, Thank you for commenting and rating part 1 of my trilogy of...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Alvina Amanda: "That's a very good concept of technology i think it's help for Write My..." in Hyung Choi and the nature...

Ajay Pokhrel: "Hello Everyone, I had posted a draft on "Exceeding the..." in Alternative Models of...

Eduardo Morris: "Raise public awareness and interest in theoretical physics and cosmology! ..." in Multiversal Journeys —...

Eduardo Morris: "Fantastic! An impressive list of topics! Visit this website for instant..." in 80 Years of EPR —...

Eduardo Morris: "Our junk DNA already has been turned to this purpose. json formatter..." in Are We Merging With Our...

lynn libbrecht: "You have posted a very detail document. I read all of your article and I..." in FQXi Essay Contest 2016:...

Mike Witot: "Great. Thanks a lot for posting that info! click here" in A Self-Gravitational...

Mike Witot: "I really like to read this informations click here" in Dimensional Reduction in...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Our Place in the Multiverse
Calculating the odds that intelligent observers arise in parallel universes—and working out what they might see.

Sounding the Drums to Listen for Gravity’s Effect on Quantum Phenomena
A bench-top experiment could test the notion that gravity breaks delicate quantum superpositions.

Watching the Observers
Accounting for quantum fuzziness could help us measure space and time—and the cosmos—more accurately.

Bohemian Reality: Searching for a Quantum Connection to Consciousness
Is there are sweet spot where artificial intelligence systems could have the maximum amount of consciousness while retaining powerful quantum properties?

Quantum Replicants: Should future androids dream of quantum sheep?
To build the ultimate artificial mimics of real life systems, we may need to use quantum memory.

FQXi FORUM
October 19, 2017

CATEGORY: Show Me the Physics! Video Contest (2014) [back]
TOPIC: The Geometry of Particle Physics by Garrett Lisi [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Member Antony Garrett Lisi wrote on Jun. 10, 2014 @ 16:57 GMT
Video Image

Video URL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfALJzn1hE8

Video Description

Elementary particle physics is one of humanity's greatest achievements. Our description of the fundamental structure of the universe is often described as "beautiful," but the mathematics of differential geometry, representation theory, and quantum field theory needed to see that beauty is inaccessible to most people. Must we resort to using bad analogies? Or is it possible to describe the geometry of particle physics, including the Higgs mechanism, faithfully and accurately but without equations, using only some graphics, an arrow, and some pool floaties... in twelve minutes?

Video Co-Creator(s)

Katie McMillan, TEDxMaui
Sara Tekula, TEDxMaui

Video Creator Bio

Garrett Lisi is a theoretical physicist who escaped academia and obtained a FQXi grant in 2006 to pursue a novel approach towards unifying General Relativity and particle physics. Katie McMillan, founder of TEDxMaui, works to amplify the voice of innovative people and companies in Hawai'i. Sara Tekula is a producer, digital marketing and communications consultant, and college professor living on Maui. With over 15 years' experience working in film and television, she brings a love of storytelling into everything she does.

Turil Sweden Cronburg wrote on Jun. 24, 2014 @ 15:12 GMT
Your ideas using group theory have been a large part of giving me this weird idea that the universe is structured like Pascal’s triangle, with the universe starting off at the top, as a single unitary “everything” and then, though a continuing pattern (as in cellular automata) of simple rules of division and recombination (with the neighbor division), creating an ever expanding universe of complexity and detail and diversity. Pascal’s triangle describes all the possible combinations of fractions of things (a.k.a, all the different symmetries of reality), and if the universe is expanding, then we will continue to see more and more details, which is what we do seem to be doing (the elements, atomic particles, quarks, Higgs particles, etc.).

It’s too simple of a pattern for most folks to believe, but why do we think that the laws of physics need to be complex? Why can’t they be simple, at the very core?

Cristinel Stoica wrote on Sep. 9, 2014 @ 06:00 GMT
Dear Garrett,

I was very happy to watch again this video, which I enjoyed very much!

If you have time, I would appreciate if you will watch and rate my videos The puzzle of quantum reality and Can a black hole keep a secret?.

Best regads,

Cristi

Member Marc Séguin wrote on Sep. 11, 2014 @ 03:27 GMT
Garrett,

Thank you for commenting and rating part 1 of my trilogy of videos "This Is Physics". You asked for feedback on the way you presented the geometry of particle physics to a popular audience in your video, and I am happy to provide some.

There are many strong points to your video: the use of props (the arrow, the inflatable ball and torus), the description of research on the...

view entire post

Member Antony Garrett Lisi replied on Sep. 11, 2014 @ 07:37 GMT
Thanks for this review, Marc! I think you're right about the sombrero and Feynman diagrams. I included them as background images for Higgs history because they're so well known to physicists, but you're right that these are too scary to hit people with.

Very happy you liked all those points -- I put a lot of effort into it.

I'll have a look at your other videos.

Jonathan J. Dickau wrote on Sep. 11, 2014 @ 03:46 GMT
Well done Garrett!

I think you were indeed successful at showing how symmetry breaking in Physics can be derived from Geometry, without getting complicated or technical. The most innovative use of pool toys I've ever seen! As it turns out; I get to mention your work in my video on the Mandelbrot Set. My research explores the relationship between symmetry and symmetry breaking via that object, and the possible applications to Physics. Of course; a lot of the Physics relevance is because the trends I explore extend into octonionic space, but I have yet to publish that work. Good luck in the contest!

Regards,

Jonathan

Member Antony Garrett Lisi replied on Sep. 11, 2014 @ 07:45 GMT
Thanks Jonathan; good luck to you as well!

James Lyons Walsh wrote on Sep. 11, 2014 @ 08:02 GMT
Hi,

You told me many things I didn't know and very much want to find out more about. I think that your talk was well-delivered, accessible, and inspiring. Thanks for the chance to see it.

James

Schatzie Dudee wrote on Sep. 12, 2014 @ 19:36 GMT
I always enjoy hearing you speak, whether it's at a TED Talk or the Science Channel -- thank you so much! Great shirt, by the way.

If you can please vote on our 2 short videos, we would be most grateful:

http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/2167

http://fq
xi.org/community/forum/topic/2230

Have a great day,

Schatzie Dudee and kids

Michael muteru wrote on Sep. 13, 2014 @ 11:04 GMT
Hi garett

First let me take this opportunity to express my honour of writing to a Physics GREAT like you .Very Wonderful physics from you,ive come across E8 theory on TED talks earlier on,i have worked on m-theory,I agree that all reality commutes to maths and geometry.I love your idea about the science hostel.i adopted it and have wholly worked on the immense theory at home.I publish on viXra.org.i too have a simple video - http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/2223,On the geometry of the fundamental physics of the universe on a notebook .Kindly vote for me i think its in the red,meanwhile i vote for yours.

Stephane Durand wrote on Sep. 27, 2014 @ 04:01 GMT
Just voted !

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.