Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

David Goehring: on 9/25/14 at 13:58pm UTC, wrote Wow. How did I miss this before? This is a fantastic video. I loved the...

Michael muteru: on 9/14/14 at 14:02pm UTC, wrote hi xiangjun shi nice video,think its voting season.you ve just earned...

James Walsh: on 9/6/14 at 18:09pm UTC, wrote Hi, I enjoyed your video a great deal. The animation was beautiful in a...

Marc Séguin: on 9/4/14 at 19:50pm UTC, wrote Shixie, Congratulations for your AMAZING video! I was already familiar...

Claude Coulombe: on 8/23/14 at 20:44pm UTC, wrote It emerges really much poetry from your movie and physics and they made me...

Xiangjun Shi: on 5/8/14 at 10:41am UTC, wrote Video Image Video URL ...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Steve Dufourny: "Hello I liked the link with this space. I consider that space does not..." in Complexity levels and...

Steven Andresen: "Darwinian Universal I'm very pleased with the reviews my essay received,..." in Alternative Models of...

Steven Andresen: "Darwinian Universal I'm very pleased with the reviews my essay received,..." in Complexity levels and...

Steven Andresen: "Darwinian Universal I'm very pleased with the reviews my essay received,..." in Alternative Models of...

Steven Andresen: "Darwinian Universal I'm very pleased with the reviews my essay received,..." in Is the Past Infinite?

Steven Andresen: "Here is another way I might have put it I'm very pleased with the reviews..." in Theories of Everything,...

Steve Agnew: "Once you have one infinity, you have an infinity of infinities and infinity..." in Watching the Observers

Jeffrey Schmitz: "Lorraine, There is a big gap between the quantum and thermodynamic level..." in FQXi Essay Contest 2016:...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Watching the Observers
Accounting for quantum fuzziness could help us measure space and time—and the cosmos—more accurately.

Bohemian Reality: Searching for a Quantum Connection to Consciousness
Is there are sweet spot where artificial intelligence systems could have the maximum amount of consciousness while retaining powerful quantum properties?

Quantum Replicants: Should future androids dream of quantum sheep?
To build the ultimate artificial mimics of real life systems, we may need to use quantum memory.

Painting a QBist Picture of Reality
A radical interpretation of physics makes quantum theory more personal.

The Spacetime Revolutionary
Carlo Rovelli describes how black holes may transition to "white holes," according to loop quantum gravity, a radical rewrite of fundamental physics.

FQXi FORUM
June 29, 2017

CATEGORY: Show Me the Physics! Video Contest (2014) [back]
TOPIC: Why Do I Study Physics? by Xiangjun Shi [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Xiangjun \"Shixie\" Shi wrote on May. 8, 2014 @ 10:41 GMT
Video Image

Video URL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pom8S7qF5Gk

Video Description

I decided to study Physics in college because, since childhood I have been enchanted by the idea of perfection. However, while seeking a rational world, irrationality shadows every step of my journey. Is this a pursuit destined to end in a dilemma?

Video Creator Bio

Shixie (Xiangjun Shi) is an independent motion graphics designer based in New York City. Being an immigrant since a tender age, and having lived in China, UK, Singapore, and now the US, Shixie is determined to break down the communication barriers between people through her works, across cultures or academic fields. Her works has been featured in local and international film festivals. Shixie is versatile with a variety of animation techniques, ranging from classical hand drawn to 3D, and has done work for clients including Google, Daptone Record, Adult Swim, PBS, CNBC, and Sundance.

Claude Coulombe wrote on Aug. 23, 2014 @ 20:44 GMT
It emerges really much poetry from your movie and physics and they made me dream.

Member Marc Séguin wrote on Sep. 4, 2014 @ 19:50 GMT
Shixie,

Congratulations for your AMAZING video! I was already familiar with it, having seen it via Facebook, and I had forwarded it to all my physics-loving friends. You bring a very fresh and original angle on the field of physics, being a double major in motion graphics and physics. I particularly liked the bit where you say that "there is an obsession for simplicity in physics": so true!

Film critic Roger Ebert once said that a great movie is defined by having 3 great scenes, and no bad ones. I would say your short film meets this criterion: there's the quantum wave and parallel universes scene, near the beginning, with all the versions of the girl sitting on different chairs; there's the scene where the cow morphs into a mathematical spiral, with the "gray circle" of physics turning the real world into a wonderland of abstraction, simplicity and understanding; and there's the scene in the donut shop where the two donuts combine to become the symbol for infinity!

Your video is my favorite in this competition, and it looks like it will make it to the final round (only 2 more community ratings needed to reach the 10-community ratings threshold that makes your rating significant enough to be considered). I hope the judges in the final round will fall under its spell, like I did.

I hope you have the occasion to make more videos about the wonderful world of physics. Keep up the good work!

Marc

P.S. I don't have your expertise in animation nor your artistic talent and poetic sense, but I have been creating physics videos for the past few years, and having a lot of fun! If you have a chance to view, comment and vote (using your author code) on my trilogy of videos entitled "This Is Physics" --- where I try to convey the "fun of physics" by focusing on some of the greatest moments of its history --- it would be quite appreciated!

James Lyons Walsh wrote on Sep. 6, 2014 @ 18:09 GMT
Hi,

I enjoyed your video a great deal. The animation was beautiful in a very engaging way.

I'd be grateful if you'd take a look at our video and give it a rating as a creator. I suspect that a rules change may happen, but ours is one of the majority not close to the 10 ratings needed to be considered for the finals. It's at the middle of the second row from the bottom if you sort alphabetically. Thanks if you get the chance.

James

Michael muteru wrote on Sep. 14, 2014 @ 14:02 GMT
hi xiangjun shi

nice video,think its voting season.you ve just earned my vote.kindly take your time to view and vote my simple video here-

http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/2223

thanks

David Goehring wrote on Sep. 25, 2014 @ 13:58 GMT
Wow. How did I miss this before? This is a fantastic video. I loved the animation a lot.

Well done. Just rated you 5 stars.

If you'd like, please check out my video Tons of Fun (physics rap) and vote for it. We just need 2 more votes! Thank you.

David G

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.