Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Current Essay Contest

Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American

Previous Contests

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Peter Jackson: on 5/26/14 at 15:49pm UTC, wrote Alex, I agree and support your approach which is undoubtedly valid and...

Israel Perez: on 5/17/14 at 1:54am UTC, wrote Dear Alexander You wrote a interesting essay. It is well organized and...

James Putnam: on 5/6/14 at 21:16pm UTC, wrote Alexander W Knapton, Your essay is interesting and fun. It is another...

Georgina Woodward: on 5/2/14 at 21:09pm UTC, wrote Hi Alexander, you have written a really informative,easy to read, and...

Joe Fisher: on 4/24/14 at 14:54pm UTC, wrote Mr. Knapton, I found your essay really interesting to read. It was very...

Alexander Knapton: on 4/22/14 at 11:24am UTC, wrote Essay Abstract If humanity can create a living ecosystem through...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

James Putnam: "In my previous message something important did not get included. My..." in Alternative Models of...

Steven Andresen: "I am aware of an everyday phenomenon that is comparable to the quantum..." in Alternative Models of...

Steven Andresen: "I am aware of an everyday phenomenon that is comparable to the quantum..." in Rescuing Reality

Eckard Blumschein: "Perhaps every author patiently feels annoyed by someone who calls himself a..." in FQXi Essay Contest 2016:...

thamtubachtin: "Tìm dịch vụ thám tử Hãy đến..." in Wrinkles in Spacetime

Jochen Szangolies: "Well, except of course that essays that have received fewer votes are going..." in FQXi Essay Contest 2016:...

thamtubachtin: "Bạn đang tìm công ty cung cấp dịch vụ thám tử? Hãy đến..." in Wrinkles in Spacetime

sara edward: "ok sir sara edward hr@ dissertation writing services." in Pieces of E8

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Quantum Replicants: Should future androids dream of quantum sheep?
To build the ultimate artificial mimics of real life systems, we may need to use quantum memory.

Painting a QBist Picture of Reality
A radical interpretation of physics makes quantum theory more personal.

The Spacetime Revolutionary
Carlo Rovelli describes how black holes may transition to "white holes," according to loop quantum gravity, a radical rewrite of fundamental physics.

Riding the Rogue Quantum Waves
Could giant sea swells help explain how the macroscopic world emerges from the quantum microworld? (Image credit: MIT News)

Rescuing Reality
A "retrocausal" rewrite of physics, in which influences from the future can affect the past, could solve some quantum quandaries—saving Einstein's view of reality along the way.

FQXi FORUM
March 24, 2017

CATEGORY: How Should Humanity Steer the Future? Essay Contest (2014) [back]
TOPIC: Regenerative Technologies for Long Duration Interstellar Flight by Alexander W Knapton [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Alexander W Knapton wrote on Apr. 22, 2014 @ 11:24 GMT
Essay Abstract

If humanity can create a living ecosystem through technology, the total sustainability needed for interstellar flight would be achievable. The means of providing food, water, and shelter from fixed resources are termed “regenerative technologies”. This concept has already been applied to some existing space technologies. There is also current research that promises more useful technologies. Many of these technologies involve applications of biological systems.

Author Bio

Alexander Knapton is a Portland State University student studying sustainability with a particular interest in long-duration spaceflight technologies.

Download Essay PDF File

Joe Fisher wrote on Apr. 24, 2014 @ 14:54 GMT
Mr. Knapton,

I found your essay really interesting to read. It was very broad in scope, but it was also masterfully constructed. I do hope that it does well in the competition.

Regards,

Joe Fisher

report post as inappropriate

Georgina Woodward wrote on May. 2, 2014 @ 21:09 GMT
Hi Alexander,

you have written a really informative,easy to read, and enjoyable essay. It is nice the way you have told your personal story from childhood to now and shown us your connection with space travel from early star gazing, SciFi., to employment and personal research of the subject alongside many snippets of fascinating factual information.

The radiotrophic fungi are something I have never heard about before. Life is amazing, and the idea of using them as a shield is ingenious. Also the ethylene connection to poor growth of plants in space. Such a simple solution. Couldn't some insect pollinated plants be hand pollinated as is often done in plant research facilities? It would give the astronauts something pleasant, maybe even stress relieving to do. And having some plants with showy flowers might also be a pleasant reminder of Earth's diversity of life.

I too think that mankind would have to take a self sufficient biosphere with him to colonize other worlds. Though I have suggested that we need to develop them and have them work reliably, and may actually need them on Earth, before taking the step into space. The ill fated biosphere II in mind. The way you have considered various hazards and how to overcome them begins to make it seem doable.

Good luck, Georgina

James A Putnam wrote on May. 6, 2014 @ 21:16 GMT
Alexander W Knapton,

Your essay is interesting and fun. It is another essay that is well suited for this contest with no justifiable reason to have a rating of a single '1'. I am giving it a '10' and lifting it up to where others might take notice and appreciate it.

James Putnam

Israel Perez wrote on May. 17, 2014 @ 01:54 GMT
Dear Alexander

You wrote a interesting essay. It is well organized and written. Your father advice is very good: Find something you love to do and devote yourself to it.

From your essay I can see that there are still a lot of problems for long trips, even to Mars. I have seen in the news that there is contest for people who wish to go to Mars but with one-way ticket, no return. It seems that they are planning to make a reality show. Surprisingly, many people are interested even if they know they will never be back.

In view, we are still hundreds of years away from these kind of journeys. The good news is that we can use these recycling spatial technologies here on earth and avoid exhausting our natural resources. I discuss a little in my work Indeed, the problem is quite complex.... I would be glad if you could take a look at it.

Good luck!

Best regards

Israel

Peter Jackson wrote on May. 26, 2014 @ 15:49 GMT
Alex,

I agree and support your approach which is undoubtedly valid and valuable. We first have to get there, but I admire your view that;

"I remain optimistic that one day someone will come up with an answer. We have accomplished similar impossible milestones before, we just need a fresh perspective to succeed in this one."

Ah! yes indeed. That fresh perspective is what I suggest in my own essay. Using Bob and Alice for the long trip avoids those needs and allows the new perspective to reveal the quantum leap in science required. Of course we do still have to overcome theoretical inertia before any such advance!

Very well done for yours. Clearly written, well argued and organised and on a valid and practical topic. I feel it shouldn't be in the 3's so am pleased to score it well. I hope you read and understand mine, it's supposed to bring clearer understanding to acheive goals such as yours.

Best wishes

Peter

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:

And select the letter between 'P' and 'R':

Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.