Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Display:
 all posts
 member posts highlighted
 member posts only

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

sasa sasa: on 7/17/17 at 3:28am UTC, wrote OBAT DARAH TINGGI

sasa sasa: on 7/17/17 at 3:25am UTC, wrote OBAT AMBEIEN

sasa sasa: on 6/3/17 at 6:10am UTC, wrote OBAT DARAH TINGGI tradisional adalah salah satu OBAT DARAH TINGGI yang...

sasa sasa: on 6/3/17 at 6:10am UTC, wrote OBAT HERNIA ampuh dan mujarab untuk mengatassi hernia dengan pengobatan...

sara edward: on 3/23/17 at 8:16am UTC, wrote I agree that magic number is related to number of nucleons. sara edward ...

Sol sam: on 2/1/17 at 5:08am UTC, wrote Very interesting discussion about New Nuclear "Magic Number". :)

Alice lewis: on 3/20/14 at 14:35pm UTC, wrote I agree that magic number is related to number of nucleons.

Bashir Yusuf: on 11/6/13 at 2:49am UTC, wrote DEAR ZEEYA AND LEO! I think this is an important issue. This...

FQXi FORUM
July 28, 2017

CATEGORY: High Energy Physics [back]
TOPIC: New Nuclear "Magic Number" [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

FQXi Administrator Zeeya Merali wrote on Oct. 28, 2013 @ 17:35 GMT
Earlier this month, D. Steppenbeck and colleagues published a paper in Nature on "Evidence for a new nuclear 'magic number' from the level structure of 54Ca. Leo Vuyk requested that we open a new forum thread on this topic -- thank you Leo!

From the paper's abstract:

"Atomic nuclei are finite quantum systems composed of two distinct types of fermion--protons and neutrons. In a manner similar to that of electrons orbiting in an atom, protons and neutrons in a nucleus form shell structures. In the case of stable, naturally occurring nuclei, large energy gaps exist between shells that fill completely when the proton or neutron number is equal to 2, 8, 20, 28, 50, 82 or 126. Away from stability, however, these so-called 'magic numbers' are known to evolve in systems with a large imbalance of protons and neutrons. Although some of the standard shell closures can disappear, new ones are known to appear. Studies aiming to identify and understand such behaviour are of major importance in the field of experimental and theoretical nuclear physics. Here we report a spectroscopic study of the neutron-rich nucleus 54Ca (a bound system composed of 20 protons and 34 neutrons) using proton knockout reactions involving fast radioactive projectiles. The results highlight the doubly magic nature of 54Ca and provide direct experimental evidence for the onset of a sizable subshell closure at neutron number 34 in isotopes far from stability."

Scientific American also ran a news item on the paper.

report post as inappropriate

Bashir Yusuf replied on Nov. 6, 2013 @ 02:49 GMT
DEAR ZEEYA AND LEO!

I think this is an important issue.

This link,http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/794 is My essay that I explained much about similar things toward fundamentals of nature, including magic number and relating nuclei properties, focusing on Geometry, structure, shape, quantity, etc.

I agree that magic number is related to number of nucleons.

Leo! I appreciate the way you explained, very interesting!

I would be so thankful if you give me some comment.

Kind Regards,

Bashir.

Leo Vuyk wrote on Oct. 29, 2013 @ 09:25 GMT
The evidence for a 34 additional Magic Number is interesting mainly it shows also evidence for a what I call: Polar Coaxial Ring Model (PCR Model) of all atom nucleons!

A very simple 3D image is able to show the evidence, see below: the attachment.

Secondly I wrote a short essay on the subject, see;

The New Nuclear Magic Number (34) Explained by the Polar Coaxial Ring System of Quantum FFF Theory.

http://vixra.org/abs/1310.0101

Abstract,

Proposal for an atomic nuclear Polar-coaxial ring geometry, based on Magic Number logic, including the newest number of 34 nucleons found by RIBF/Riken Japan (October 2013).

The numerology of magic numbers was reason to do research on geometrical solutions for the

shape and structural system of nucleons (protons and neutrons) inside atom nuclei.

I found interesting coaxial ring solutions, which were not only able to match the sequence of magic number numerology in a surprising way, but also able to explain the latest discovery of an extra magic number 34.

attachments: 2__Magic_Number_34.pub_aa.jpg

Bashir Yusuf replied on Nov. 6, 2013 @ 02:43 GMT
DEAR ZEEYA AND LEO!

I think this is an important issue.

This link,http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/794 is My essay that I explained much about similar things toward fundamentals of nature, including magic number and relating nuclei properties, focusing on Geometry, structure, shape, quantity, etc.

Leo! I appreciate the way you explained, very interesting!

I would be so thankful if you give me some comment.

Kind Regards,

Bashir.

Alice lewis wrote on Mar. 20, 2014 @ 14:35 GMT

Sol smith sam wrote on Feb. 1, 2017 @ 05:08 GMT
Very interesting discussion about New Nuclear "Magic Number". :)

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.