Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Display:
 all posts
 member posts highlighted
 member posts only

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Shilpa Malhotra: on 9/12/17 at 6:28am UTC, wrote Would you be able to envision a Universe with just two substances: space...

Ted Esaters: on 10/25/16 at 10:49am UTC, wrote Hi Georgina, Thanks for your remark. I did see some good articles and...

Georgina Woodward: on 10/24/16 at 20:24pm UTC, wrote Ted, you misrepresent the linked website, there is nothing there about...

Ted Esaters: on 10/24/16 at 7:11am UTC, wrote I can't imagine a Universe with only 2 substances: time and space. Such...

Luis Bento: on 9/26/14 at 16:04pm UTC, wrote Can you imagine a Universe with only two substances: space and time ? We...

Darius M: on 6/22/14 at 18:32pm UTC, wrote Have you ever thought that the Universe as a giant quantum computer runs...

John Merryman: on 7/8/13 at 22:13pm UTC, wrote Thanks Zeeya! It should be noted that one of the entries in the contest;...

Zeeya Merali: on 7/8/13 at 21:38pm UTC, wrote A new paper by FQXi member Vlatko Vedral and colleagues on the...

FQXi FORUM
November 25, 2017

CATEGORY: Ultimate Reality [back]
TOPIC: Quantum Thermodynamics [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

FQXi Administrator Zeeya Merali wrote on Jul. 8, 2013 @ 21:38 GMT
A new paper by FQXi member Vlatko Vedral and colleagues on the thermodynamics of quantum systems has been highlighted in a news story on phys.org. Thanks to John Merryman for alerting us to it!

The article covers Vedral and co's proposed experimental scheme to verify the quantum nonequilibrium fluctuation relations using current technology, which was published in PRL. In a second PRL paper a team at Queen's University, in Belfast, including Marco Paternostro, propose a way to measure the characteristic function of the work distribution of a quantum system.

From the article, Paternostro says: "Fundamentally, we could start exploring quantum thermodynamics, which puts together a genuine quantum approach and the rock-solid foundations of thermodynamics...We (and a few other researchers) are trying to do it from an information theoretic viewpoint, hoping to get new insight into this fascinating area. Practically, the grounding of quantum thermodynamics would imply the incorporation of quantum advantages in thermodynamical processes, such as the engineering of cycles, refrigerators and thermal machines."

You can discuss the article and papers here...

report post as inappropriate

John Brodix Merryman wrote on Jul. 8, 2013 @ 22:13 GMT
Thanks Zeeya!

It should be noted that one of the entries in the contest; It from Bit from It from Bit... Nature and Nonlinear Logic by William C. McHarris, covers this very topic and raises the very complex issues which thermodynamics and non-linear systems bring to the table.

Darius M wrote on Jun. 22, 2014 @ 18:32 GMT
Have you ever thought that the Universe as a giant quantum computer runs Hegelian dialectic as a program? Synthesis (information processing) is what moves time forward.

https://www.academia.edu/7347240/Our_Cognitive_Frame
work_as_Quantum_Computer_Leibnizs_Theory_of_Monads_under_Kan
ts_Epistemology_and_Hegelian_Dialectic

Luis San Miguel Bento wrote on Sep. 26, 2014 @ 16:04 GMT
Can you imagine a Universe with only two substances: space and time ? We present here an approach to this possibility.

attachments: San_Miguel_Bento__SPACE_AND_TIME_-_a_hypothesis.docx

Ted Esaters wrote on Oct. 24, 2016 @ 07:11 GMT
I can't imagine a Universe with only 2 substances: time and space. Such outstanding websites as famousessays.net do research on Universe questions and outline the most necessary notions like space, time, speed, etc.

Georgina Woodward replied on Oct. 24, 2016 @ 20:24 GMT
Ted, you misrepresent the linked website, there is nothing there about research into time and space. Your post should probably be deleted as inappropriate but there is some nice writing about the process of writing and brief review of the essays of Ernest Hemingway and Benjamin Franklin.

Does this need another look? Quote: "He not only pointed out the flaws of other contemporary writers but never retrieved from accept his own faults."from Benjamin Franklin section I think -retired from accepting -would fit there. If you would like to successfully advertise writing services then you really do need to show that you can write flawlessly.

Ted Esaters replied on Oct. 25, 2016 @ 10:49 GMT
Hi Georgina,

Thanks for your remark. I did see some good articles and essays about time and space there. However, I haven't logged in to the site for a long time, so they may have been deleted, as their priority as I see now is dwelling on famous people. I'll write to support team about the issue and ask them to renew the articles, if it's possible. I remember a few writers who completed full papers on space (Robert Singer) and time (Clint West). They are my close friends, by the way.

Thanks again,

Ted

Shilpa Malhotra wrote on Sep. 12, 2017 @ 06:28 GMT
Would you be able to envision a Universe with just two substances: space and time ? We introduce here a way to deal with this plausibility. Shilpa

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.