Search FQXi

If you have an idea for a blog post or a new forum thread, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org, with a summary of the topic and its source (e.g., an academic paper, conference talk, external blog post or news item).
Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the blogger are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Eckard Blumschein: on 2/12/13 at 4:37am UTC, wrote I will not buy the article concerning sound because the problems are known...

John Merryman: on 2/7/13 at 0:19am UTC, wrote Robert, It's good to hear from you. May I suggest you send Zeeya a note...

Robert McEachern: on 2/6/13 at 23:20pm UTC, wrote John, This is hardly "the first time..." I published numerous papers on...

Zeeya Merali: on 2/6/13 at 16:39pm UTC, wrote Thanks James. I hadn't heard of that relationship for sound before. I've...

John Merryman: on 2/6/13 at 2:10am UTC, wrote An interesting and related finding on hearing: "(Phys.org)—For the first...

Domenico Oricchio: on 2/5/13 at 19:05pm UTC, wrote I tried, some time ago, an Innocentive challenge to detect the sick...

Zeeya Merali: on 2/5/13 at 14:05pm UTC, wrote Another discussion thread for January’s podcast, this time on quantum...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Steve Agnew: "In a contracting universe, the slowing of time as we look back into time..." in Black Holes Do Not Exist,...

Jonathan Dickau: "Thanks Steve, (reposted in proper thread) I'm glad you enjoyed Kauffmann's..." in Black Holes Do Not Exist,...

Akinbo Ojo: "Yes, I agree with your No answer. Galilean relativity, which also admits of..." in Faster than Light

Steve Agnew: "For each quantum object in the universe, there exists both an inner as well..." in Charting the Post-Quantum...

Peter Jackson: "Akinbo, No. As each set of brackets represent the boundaries between..." in Faster than Light

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Life's Quantum Crystal Ball
Does the ability to predict the future—perhaps with quantum help—define the fundamental difference between living and inanimate matter?

The Quantum Truth Seeker
Watching particles fly through an interferometer might help to unveil higher-order weirdness behind quantum theory.

Quantifying Occam
Is the simplest answer always the best? Connecting Medieval monks to computational complexity, using the branch of mathematics known as category theory.

Heart of Darkness
An intrepid physicist attempts to climb into the core of black hole.

Why Quantum?
Entropy could explain why nature chose to play by quantum rules.

FQXi BLOGS
October 20, 2014

CATEGORY: Blog [back]
TOPIC: Quantum Biology: Flight and Sniffery [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

FQXi Administrator Zeeya Merali wrote on Feb. 5, 2013 @ 14:05 GMT
Another discussion thread for January’s podcast, this time on quantum biology. This item also deserves a thread of its own because its been in the news quite a bit over the past few weeks.

To recap, in last May’s podcast, I chatted to Luca Turin, who has proposed a controversial quantum model for our sense of smell. The idea is that the our nose differentiates smell based on a molecule’s vibrations, rather than (as conventionally believed) its shape. In that interview, Turin alluded to some tests he was running on humans to see if their noses could pick out a difference in the smell of two molecules with the same shape, but different vibration frequencies. Last week, his work was published in PLoS ONE. The answer is "yes".

I just want to point you to some nice coverage of Turin’s work, as well as of quantum biology in general, over at the BBC, by Jason Palmer. Here’s his article on the new smell result, and another, co-written by Alex Mansfield, on the whole emerging field of quantum biology. The article also describes models that suggest that some birds use quantum effects to navigate. You can also hear the researchers talking to reporter Carinne Piekema about quantum birds in our own January podcast.

For those of you that enjoy listening to scientists speaking in their own words, I must also draw your attention to this nice edition of the BBC World Service’s Discovery programme (here: January 28 edition) because it opens with a snippet from Erwin Schroedinger. We can’t compete with that on the FQXi podcast!

this post has been edited by the forum administrator

report post as inappropriate

Domenico Oricchio wrote on Feb. 5, 2013 @ 19:05 GMT
I tried, some time ago, an Innocentive challenge to detect the sick passengers in airport: as always I lost.

The interesting thing is that I try to build a little spectrograph to analize the interferons in the air.

Each molecule emit some infrared thermical emission with functional groups.

The idea was to built little solar cell, with doping to obtain the right light absorbment: one for u_1 frequency, and the other for u_2 frequency; if connected in opposite direction (pass band infrared filter), there is a mean activation only for frequency intervall [u1,u2].

I think that the noise work in a similar way: there is an activation for a right range of frequency, to detect the functional group; this is the only information that is useful for the life, and it is similar to the vision.

I think that the first sense is olfaction: virus chemical identification of the chemical environment.

I don't think that the evolution thrown away nothing that work, so that if the olfaction is one of first sense, then the other must use similar mechanism (the visual perception like olfaction of the light?Have they similar genetic?)

I read the Turin idea of the chemosensor, his idea is similar, but use the tunneling: there is contact.

If the olfaction work without contact, then there is an infrared recognition (I think that can be verified with in vitro chemosensor with physical separation to avoid tunneling).

Quantum biology is an interesting topic, because is the intersection between physics, biology and nanotechnology; it is so boring to study a single topic!

Saluti

Domenico

John Merryman wrote on Feb. 6, 2013 @ 02:10 GMT
An interesting and related finding on hearing:

"(Phys.org)—For the first time, physicists have found that humans can discriminate a sound's frequency (related to a note's pitch) and timing (whether a note comes before or after another note) more than 10 times better than the limit imposed by the Fourier uncertainty principle. Not surprisingly, some of the subjects with the best listening precision were musicians, but even non-musicians could exceed the uncertainty limit. The results rule out the majority of auditory processing brain algorithms that have been proposed, since only a few models can match this impressive human performance."

FQXi Administrator Zeeya Merali replied on Feb. 6, 2013 @ 16:39 GMT
Thanks James. I hadn't heard of that relationship for sound before. I've tweeted that article now -- some nice sound clips on it too.

Robert H McEachern replied on Feb. 6, 2013 @ 23:20 GMT
John,

This is hardly "the first time..."

I published numerous papers on this subject twenty years ago.

See for example:

"Hearing it like it is: Audio Signal Processing the Way the Ear Does It", DSP Applications, February, 1994

"Hearing it like it is Part 2: Sound Demodulation via Parallel Filter Banks", DSP and Multimedia Technology, May 1994.

Those papers also give references to my earlier papers and patents on the subject.

You may recall that the Fourier uncertainty principle, and how to get around it, was also discussed in my essay submitted to the last FQXI essay contest.

Rob McEachern

John Merryman replied on Feb. 7, 2013 @ 00:19 GMT
Robert,

It's good to hear from you. May I suggest you send Zeeya a note suggesting it as a topic. There are many aspects of physics which are being ignored, or overlooked and your contest entry was very enlightening. The more voices and subjects raised, the more likely the science media, of which Zeeya is a member, will begin to realize physics has been sidetracked by a somewhat dubious canon.

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.