Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Current Essay Contest

Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American

Previous Contests

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

George: on 10/4/12 at 5:25am UTC, wrote Hi Neil, Your approach is favorable to me and I have rated your work. The...

Sergey Fedosin: on 10/4/12 at 4:11am UTC, wrote If you do not understand why your rating dropped down. As I found ratings...

Hoang Hai: on 9/19/12 at 14:05pm UTC, wrote Dear Very interesting to see your essay. Perhaps all of us are convinced...

Neil Bates: on 9/10/12 at 16:59pm UTC, wrote Phil, thanks for your reply. I am open-minded but don't think this paradox...

Phil Warnell: on 9/9/12 at 14:02pm UTC, wrote Dear Neil, Thanks for an interesting essay yet I'm not certain if one...

Nancy Reese: on 9/8/12 at 23:23pm UTC, wrote Neil: I have to admit upfront that as much as I enjoyed chemisty, it has...

Benjamin Dribus: on 9/8/12 at 1:17am UTC, wrote Neil, You may already know about this, but if not, it will interest you. ...

Neil Bates: on 9/7/12 at 0:42am UTC, wrote . The basic experiment with fully circular photons was done in 1936 and...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

James Putnam: "In my previous message something important did not get included. My..." in Alternative Models of...

Steven Andresen: "I am aware of an everyday phenomenon that is comparable to the quantum..." in Alternative Models of...

Steven Andresen: "I am aware of an everyday phenomenon that is comparable to the quantum..." in Rescuing Reality

Eckard Blumschein: "Perhaps every author patiently feels annoyed by someone who calls himself a..." in FQXi Essay Contest 2016:...

thamtubachtin: "Tìm dịch vụ thám tử Hãy đến..." in Wrinkles in Spacetime

Jochen Szangolies: "Well, except of course that essays that have received fewer votes are going..." in FQXi Essay Contest 2016:...

thamtubachtin: "Bạn đang tìm công ty cung cấp dịch vụ thám tử? Hãy đến..." in Wrinkles in Spacetime

sara edward: "ok sir sara edward hr@ dissertation writing services." in Pieces of E8

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Quantum Replicants: Should future androids dream of quantum sheep?
To build the ultimate artificial mimics of real life systems, we may need to use quantum memory.

Painting a QBist Picture of Reality
A radical interpretation of physics makes quantum theory more personal.

The Spacetime Revolutionary
Carlo Rovelli describes how black holes may transition to "white holes," according to loop quantum gravity, a radical rewrite of fundamental physics.

Riding the Rogue Quantum Waves
Could giant sea swells help explain how the macroscopic world emerges from the quantum microworld? (Image credit: MIT News)

Rescuing Reality
A "retrocausal" rewrite of physics, in which influences from the future can affect the past, could solve some quantum quandaries—saving Einstein's view of reality along the way.

FQXi FORUM
March 24, 2017

CATEGORY: Questioning the Foundations Essay Contest (2012) [back]
TOPIC: Can Repeated Interactions Show More About a Photon Than Current Theory Allows? by Neil Bates [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Neil Bates wrote on Sep. 5, 2012 @ 16:14 GMT
Essay Abstract

We explore whether it is possible in principle to find the "circularity" (amount of circular polarization) of a single photon to a degree not allowed in conventional quantum theory. The thought experiment involves passing the same photon many times through a half-wave plate (with intermediate correction) so the tiny "spin" interaction of the photon is amplified enough to transfer measurable angular momentum to the detector HWP. HWPs invert coefficients for RH and LH states instead of "collapsing" the photon into a circular basis. Because passing one photon many times through a HWP should be like passing many photons once each though the plate, the transferred angular momentum would be revealed on a continuum. Such a measurement would violate the projection postulate (which says that only yes/no answers to probabilistic detection questions can be found for a single particle).

Author Bio

I consider myself a "Renaissance man" because of the variety of my studies and work. That includes consulting at J-Lab using G4Beamline to model muon interactions, teaching at various levels, museum guide, and independently working on physical theory in spare time. My background is too complex to coherently summarize. I am lucky that Internet search for "quantum measurement paradox" usually brings up blog posts of mine in top hits. I've published some articles about the relativistic dynamics of extended bodies, a sadly neglected topic.

Download Essay PDF File

Member Benjamin F. Dribus wrote on Sep. 6, 2012 @ 04:40 GMT
Neil,

This seems subtle, and hence interesting. I will hazard a few questions which may be a bit off target, but I hope you will bear with me. I'm a mathematician by training and not very familiar with half-wave plates, so I'll take your word for it that they work as you describe.

1. Looking at your experimental setup, are you saying that the simpler experiment of passing n different photons through the detector has been done and does indeed change the angular momentum of the plate macroscopically?

2. Isn't there a "time factor" involved? It seems that if the angular momentum of the plate is changed macroscopically, it will be rotating, and the preferred axis will change, hence changing the interaction with subsequent photons more or less depending on how quickly they are passed through.

3. It seems that there would be a minimal possible angular momentum transfer, but I suppose the expectation values can change by arbitrarily small amounts?

4. Have you thought about decoherence rather than projection in this context?

5. Have you thought about the sum-over-histories approach in this context? The reason I ask is because the sum-over-histories approach is central to my own thoughts about quantum/theory quantum gravity. Also, since you mention superluminal communication, I will remark that I think causal cycles are not necessarily paradoxical; (see my essay On the Foundational Assumptions of Modern Physics for more details on these points.)

Thanks for the interesting read. Take care,

Ben Dribus

report post as inappropriate

Author Neil Bates replied on Sep. 7, 2012 @ 00:42 GMT
. The basic experiment with fully circular photons was done in 1936 and similar experiments (such as by Tigran Galstian, both of these in my references) have ben done, and confirm the basic thesis when full angular momentum of one hbar per photon is considered. I must admit, I haven't seen a description of an actual experiment for the case of superposed photons such as elliptical and linear. However, conservation of angular momentum requires the result of my Eq. 1:

Delta Splate = 2n hbar C.

2. The time factor is likely the coherence time of the photon, typ. a matter of microseconds or less. Most photons can pass through a thin transmitter very quickly, and conservation again requires quick transfer to the plate.

3. The AM transfer is again required by conservation laws, and considering that the expectation value of the photon's AM is given by:

expectation of S = hbar (a2 - b2), where a and b are the coefficients in the photon superposition a|R> + b|L>.

More later. Not having a good time with the formatting!

Member Benjamin F. Dribus replied on Sep. 8, 2012 @ 01:17 GMT
Neil,

You may already know about this, but if not, it will interest you. The authors claim to have violated the uncertainty principle by means of weak measurements. The most recent version is in Phys Rev. Letters, which I can't access, but this appears to be an earlier arXiv version.

Uncertainty

I haven't evaluated it myself. Take care,

Ben

Jayakar Johnson Joseph wrote on Sep. 6, 2012 @ 12:13 GMT
Dear Neil Bates,

Progressive transformation of an eigen-rotational string segment in a string is in analogy with the circular polarization of an electromagnetic wave and exempts wave particle duality.

With best wishes,

Jayakar

Nancy Reese wrote on Sep. 8, 2012 @ 23:23 GMT
Neil:

I have to admit upfront that as much as I enjoyed chemisty, it has been quite a few years since I have taken classes, and I only went as far as Organic Chemistry. Most of what you have written is way over my head, but I do appreciate your talents and expertise.

Good luck to you!

Nancy

Phil Warnell wrote on Sep. 9, 2012 @ 14:02 GMT
Dear Neil,

Thanks for an interesting essay yet I'm not certain if one should say we have an actual paradox here, rather this be an example of confusion inherent when one attempts using an outdated interpretation of QM in respect to what's trying to be understood. That is Bohm's pilot wave scenario might have one to better understand what is going on here, without need referencing a lot of ad hoc rules and related exceptions to them.

That is first from such a perspective spin is considered a manifest character of the wave, not one of the particle, which only acts as a pointer at moments of observation. Secondly the wave carries no energy to the particle (or detector), rather only just information or simply marking the landscape if you prefer. That is as Bohm described, like as similar to what a light house's function is to keeping a ship from running aground, or as I like to think of it as how a GPS device allows you to arrive at ones destination. Of course for the analogy to be complete we have to understand this information contains nothing that would be classically considered as energy to be relayed to the particle. Again let me thank you for an interesting essay as I think it demonstrates clearly how the conventional treatment of things can lead to have one more confused and also how Bohm's explanation can cut through much of the confusion.

Regards,

Phil

Author Neil Bates replied on Sep. 10, 2012 @ 16:59 GMT
Phil, thanks for your reply. I am open-minded but don't think this paradox depends on details of which interpretation of QM is employed. Once we realize that passage of a photon state should impart an average change in angular momentum that is based on net circularity, rather than a chance of cumulative effect being either all RH or all LH, we have gone beyond what standard quantum mechanics predicts will happen (or is possible.) However BM imagines photon spin, we already know what happens in experiments involving transfer of that angular momentum. If one photon in repetition acts like many, each one alone; then my result will apply. BM would have to imagine an alternative to indistinguishability of particles. I am not aware of such, yet must admit to a cursory appreciation of the Bohmian approach.

Hoang cao Hai wrote on Sep. 19, 2012 @ 14:05 GMT
Dear

Very interesting to see your essay.

Perhaps all of us are convinced that: the choice of yourself is right!That of course is reasonable.

So may be we should work together to let's the consider clearly defined for the basis foundations theoretical as the most challenging with intellectual of all of us.

Why we do not try to start with a real challenge is very close and are the focus of interest of the human science: it is a matter of mass and grain Higg boson of the standard model.

Knowledge and belief reasoning of you will to express an opinion on this matter:

You have think that: the Mass is the expression of the impact force to material - so no impact force, we do not feel the Higg boson - similar to the case of no weight outside the Earth's atmosphere.

Does there need to be a particle with mass for everything have volume? If so, then why the mass of everything change when moving from the Earth to the Moon? Higg boson is lighter by the Moon's gravity is weaker than of Earth?

The LHC particle accelerator used to "Smashed" until "Ejected" Higg boson, but why only when the "Smashed" can see it,and when off then not see it ?

Can be "locked" Higg particles? so when "released" if we do not force to it by any the Force, how to know that it is "out" or not?

You are should be boldly to give a definition of weight that you think is right for us to enjoy, or oppose my opinion.

Because in the process of research, the value of "failure" or "success" is the similar with science. The purpose of a correct theory be must is without any a wrong point ?

Glad to see from you comments soon,because still have too many of the same problems.

Regards !

Hải.Caohoàng of THE INCORRECT ASSUMPTIONS AND A CORRECT THEORY

August 23, 2012 - 11:51 GMT on this essay contest.

Sergey G Fedosin wrote on Oct. 4, 2012 @ 04:11 GMT
If you do not understand why your rating dropped down. As I found ratings in the contest are calculated in the next way. Suppose your rating is
and
was the quantity of people which gave you ratings. Then you have
of points. After it anyone give you
of points so you have
of points and
is the common quantity of the people which gave you ratings. At the same time you will have
of points. From here, if you want to be R2 > R1 there must be:
or
or
In other words if you want to increase rating of anyone you must give him more points
then the participant`s rating
was at the moment you rated him. From here it is seen that in the contest are special rules for ratings. And from here there are misunderstanding of some participants what is happened with their ratings. Moreover since community ratings are hided some participants do not sure how increase ratings of others and gives them maximum 10 points. But in the case the scale from 1 to 10 of points do not work, and some essays are overestimated and some essays are drop down. In my opinion it is a bad problem with this Contest rating process.

Sergey Fedosin

George wrote on Oct. 4, 2012 @ 05:25 GMT
Hi Neil,

Your approach is favorable to me and I have rated your work. The photon really has circular polarization, and other elementary particles as well...

link text

Please check and rating mine work, despite the time is short.

Best wishes

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:

And select the letter between 'T' and 'V':

Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.