Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

John Hunter: on 3/26/10 at 14:56pm UTC, wrote Haven't got the hang of the link yet, but the ideas are here too... John...

John Hunter: on 3/26/10 at 14:49pm UTC, wrote Dark energy may be explained by the simple misunderstanding of the relation...

Frank Martin DiMeglio: on 5/25/09 at 18:26pm UTC, wrote Regarding the size of space, dark energy, astronomical observations, and...

Frank Martin DiMeglio: on 5/12/09 at 15:00pm UTC, wrote Astronomical observations are interactive creations of thought to a...

Steve Dufourny: on 1/6/09 at 13:53pm UTC, wrote Hello to all, I read with a lot of interest your articles, I work on my...

amrit: on 1/5/09 at 17:47pm UTC, wrote space has a granular structure, quanta of space are basic quanta of energy ...

Anonymous: on 2/20/08 at 20:43pm UTC, wrote nmarkov@modelbasin.com

Nick Markov, PhD: on 2/20/08 at 20:33pm UTC, wrote The expansion maybe just gravity seen from within... Please see the pdf...

FQXi FORUM
April 23, 2017

ARTICLE: The Cosmic Puzzle [back to article]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Gevin Giorbran wrote on Jan. 6, 2008 @ 13:39 GMT
Carroll has it right in considering maybe we are just not at the true vacuum yet, particularly the suggestion that we are heading for a true vacuum, and the notion that the quantum vacuum energy is zero. Vilenkin's nucleated bubble is truly entertaining since it describes our own universe from bang to zero, as it transforms us into dark matter, dark energy, and dark space. Of course the only way the true vacuum can transform ordinary matter into itself is by neutralizing it, as with virtual particles. To get rid of us the true vacuum has to merge ordinary matter with inverse matter, which began when the positively dense singularity in our past collided with a negative singularity. Of course we only observe this event from our positive volume side, in our positive brane, but the inverse brane is out there, inhabited by antimatter copies of ourselves, obeying an anti-time that travels from a negative singularity to zero, contrary to our time arrow from a positive singularity to zero. At the end of the merger there is just the perfect vacuum, not empty but full, the quantum superposition of all possible nucleations of true vacuum in false vacuum. A vacuum is false in being positive or negative, only half of its true self. You see, we just have it all backwards. We are less than the true vacuum not more than. We are inside zero, not arisen above it. The unbroken symmetry is in our future, and never existed in our past. The false vacuums simply exist within the true vacuum, like slices of a whole pie, slices inside zero, the nothing that is everything.

report post as inappropriate

Plato wrote on Jan. 6, 2008 @ 19:44 GMT
Just looking for ways that have described the false vacuum to the true.

Physically, the effect can be interpreted as an object moving from the "false vacuum" (where = 0) to the more stable "true vacuum" (where = v). Gravitationally, it is similar to the more familiar case of moving from the hilltop to the valley. In the case of Higgs field, the transformation is accompanied with a "phase change", which endows mass to some of the particles."

Looking at a particular solution for this was introduced for consideration.

The idea behind the Coleman-De Luccia instanton, discovered in 1987, is that the matter in the early universe is initially in a state known as a false vacuum. A false vacuum is a classically stable excited state which is quantum mechanically unstable. In the quantum theory, matter which is in a false vacuum may `tunnel' to its true vacuum state. The quantum tunnelling of the matter in the early universe was described by Coleman and De Luccia. They showed that false vacuum decay proceeds via the nucleation of bubbles in the false vacuum. Inside each bubble the matter has tunnelled. Surprisingly, the interior of such a bubble is an infinite open universe in which inflation may occur. The cosmological instanton describing the creation of an open universe via this bubble nucleation is known as a Coleman-De Luccia instanton.

The theory of strings?

The theory of strings predicts that the universe might occupy one random "valley" out of a virtually infinite selection of valleys in a vast landscape of possibilities See second picture.

attachments: network3.gif.png, quantumeffects1.JPG

Plato wrote on Jan. 8, 2008 @ 03:01 GMT
I look forward to the foundational questions by the experts here every Friday. I hope one of those foundational questions will be on, "what in our universe is causing dark energy?"

Even the lay person can ask such a question, that are indeed simple, yet, very important in our assessment on the current views of the universe.

With that depositing some of the information from various sources can indeed help to clarify some of the information that people are coming across to better assess what is being presented from one person to the next. I would question using the "SOHO puzzled sun" in this presentation unless there is some explanation that may help others think about how that dark energy is being represented.

Scientists using NASA's Hubble Space Telescope have discovered that dark energy is not a new constituent of space, but rather has been present for most of the universe's history. Dark energy is a mysterious repulsive force that causes the universe to expand at an increasing rate.

attachments: Dark_energy.jpg

Gevin Giorbran wrote on Jan. 22, 2008 @ 02:10 GMT
I had an epiphany.

"What is dark energy?"

Accelerating expansion is a product of the stability of the true vacuum. Dark (phantom) energy is essentially the enforcement of the stability of the vacuum. It is like we are in violation of that stability and the big rip is our cosmic punishment.

Sean Carroll mentions "If the universe is eternal, and has an equilibrium state, we should be in that state, but we are not." Similarly, in principle the ultimate stable state is the perfect vacuum. I realize nature seems to disagree in ways, but as a rule empty space remains empty. Energy is neither created nor destroyed. Nothing can come from nothing.

So as the universe expands, in the later stages it becomes increasingly cold and empty, and as the universe approaches nearer to becoming a true vacuum, the dark energy density increases and the expansion rate accelerates in order to establish the absolute stability of the true vacuum.

The universe should be in a stable condition, the vacuum, but isn't. So the vacuum in a sense enforces its law of stability. Dark energy enforces the law of stability by accelerating the universe into a state of being perfectly flat. From our perspective we see expansion accelerating but once space is inflated, once time reaches absolute zero, there is just perfect symmetry, a space that extends infinitely in all directions. There are no quantum fluctuations or virtual particles in the true vacuum since in reference to ordinary matter density space is inflating. In actuality the true vacuum is simply a fully inflated space, a full four dimensional space.

If we start with an absolutely stable true vacuum we can expect a force of resilience against instability, or let's call it a dark energy density that is infinitely strong, that simply maintains or is the stability, just as gravity

"is" the curvature of space-time.

Nick Markov, PhD wrote on Feb. 20, 2008 @ 20:33 GMT
The expansion maybe just gravity seen from within...

Please see the pdf attachment for how the observations can be explained without “dark energy”.

attachments: Gravity_Seen_as_Expansion.pdf

Anonymous wrote on Feb. 20, 2008 @ 20:43 GMT
nmarkov@modelbasin.com

amrit wrote on Jan. 5, 2009 @ 17:47 GMT
space has a granular structure, quanta of space are basic quanta of energy

if universe expand and so universal space is becoming bigger and bigger we need to find answer on the question: from where energy of space is comming from?

Steve Dufourny wrote on Jan. 6, 2009 @ 13:53 GMT
Hello to all,

I read with a lot of interest your articles, I work on my Spherization Theory, I asked this question also, personally I think that the expansion is relatively understood, it would be possible whether it is a past perception, and if the evolution of polarization continues with an increase of mass, the black energy can explain by acivations of particles in wait, what implies an a spatio-temporal acceleration .

I think that the mass is directly proportional at the speed of rotation of the elementary particle coded mathematically in the time and in the space .I think to connect the whole that the elementary particles are spheres and coded spheroids building spherical harmonious systems. The complexity entails the simplicity.

In all case ,the spherization is everywhere ,

Kinds Regards

Steve

Frank Martin DiMeglio wrote on May. 12, 2009 @ 15:00 GMT
Astronomical observations are interactive creations of thought to a significant extent. This is inseparable from making a larger space smaller (and a smaller space larger), as in the dream. This explains much. Dreams make thought more like sensory experience in general, thereby reducing the OVERALL (or generally) integrated extensiveness of thought. Conscious and unconscious experience are necessarily interactive, thereby limiting the understanding.

See this newly published article:

The Dream Fundamentally Balances and Unifies Gravity and Electromagnetism

http://radicalacademy.com/studentrefphilfmd1
3.htm

Frank Martin DiMeglio wrote on May. 25, 2009 @ 18:26 GMT
Regarding the size of space, dark energy, astronomical observations, and the relationship between gravity and electromagnetism, the following is helpful.

Astronomical observations are interactive creations of thought to a significant extent. This is inseparable from making a larger space smaller (and a smaller space larger), as in the dream. This explains much. Comparatively, dreams make thought more like sensory experience in general, thereby reducing the OVERALL (or generally) integrated extensiveness of thought. THEREFORE, THE ASTRONOMICAL OBSERVATIONS ARE NECESSARILY LEADING TO MORE INCONSISTENCIES OF THOUGHT. Conscious and unconscious experience are necessarily interactive, thereby limiting the understanding.

Electromagnetic space is inherently smaller and larger than ordinary space/objects (like the earth) -- witness the sun and photons. Likewise, the dream involves smaller AND larger/additive space (on BALANCE). Relatively constant lighting and energy are present in the dream; and there is no fatigue, tiredness, or lack of energy in the dream either. I have demonstrated a flattening of space in the dream. I have shown that the [relative] weightlessness/floating in the dream is attributed to BOTH a contracted/smaller space AND a larger space (like outer space). The dream is the union of gravity and electromagnetism/light.

John Murray Hunter wrote on Mar. 26, 2010 @ 14:49 GMT
Dark energy may be explained by the simple misunderstanding of the relation between redshift and scale factor.

In http://vixra.org/abs/1003.0222 it is shown how a new relation

1+z = (a(0)/a(t))^2 ..........(1)

can give a value for omega(matter) of 0.25 as in WMAP and match the supernovae data too.

John Hunter.

John Murray Hunter wrote on Mar. 26, 2010 @ 14:56 GMT
Haven't got the hang of the link yet, but the ideas are here too...

John H.

attachments: h22.doc

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:

And select the letter between 'A' and 'C':

Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.